Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we first got Tober we bought him a new comfy bed to sleep on.......
which still today he has never used :?

so i was wondering :?: do you guys bother buying cat beds or do you just let em sleep wherever?

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have a dog basket with a soft blanket in it in fron fo the heating in our bedroom. Sometimes the kitties use it sometimes not. They can decide where they want to sleep. But I have never bought a special bed for them. Mostly they won't use it then, ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I let my menagerie sleep where ever they want. Most of them either sleep on the couch or on my bed at night. I have made them boxes and beds to sleep in the past, but to no avail. They will sleep in the most comfortable places in the summer and winter -aside from any kind of special bed. If I had one or two cats, then I would consider getting them a cat bed, but I could guarantee that they would still sleep with me on the bed covers. :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
any point in using a cat bed?

Jimmy arrived from his previous owners complete with little 'igloo type ' cat bed. He's never used it!
At night he sleeps on our bed or on the bedroom window sill :)

seashell

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
But you never know when he might finally want to use it. Barnaby changes his sleeping locations on a regular basis. He never regularly sleeps in the same place for a long period of time. Every few months he finds a different "favorite" place to sleep.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A cat will sleep where ever it wants to. Our cat will sit on the floor and demand that a chair is cleared of junk then he gets in the chair looks at you at promptly goes somewhere else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got a bed for my cat, but she didnt use it at first. So we put it out in the porch on top of an old cabinet. She started to sleep in it all the time. Now she just sleeps on my bed every night.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have considered buying one, but my girls' favorite spot to sleep in on the glass dining table. Of course, they always jump down when they hear me coming, so they don't know that I know.. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
We bought a litlte round cat bed (I read they like things with high sides so they feel protected, like they're in a fort).

Anyway Peanut sleeps w/us at night but I put the cat bed in the window and she lays in there ALL DAY lounging in the sun.

So if you have a fave spot of theirs that they may like a little bed for, I say go for it. Ours was no more than $15 at Target.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Anywhere that I lay a piece of fleece.. they'll lay on it. So I went to a craft store and bought a yard of the softest fleece they had. It was only 7 or 8 dollars and it works fantastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My cat has plenty of comfy places to sleep so she doesn't need a cat bed. She either sleeps on the bed, recliner or couch.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
We got pet beds for both the cats when we first got them. George used his for quite a long time and Herbie actually refused his. He's WAY too cuddly! He insists on sleeping at the foot of our bed, after he's fluffed up all the sheets, pranced around the bed a few times and cuddled in hubby's neck for a few minutes.

Just in the last couple of months George has gotten into a routine of sleeping in my wheelchair. He's got this bedtime issue stuck his head so much that if hubby goes to bed before I do George will come to get me in whatever room I may be in and stand there and meow at me until I come to bed just so he can have the wheelchair! I actually think it's really cute. :wink: Hubby calls him a "mama's boy" now because prior to a few months ago he never was that touchy-feely with either one of us. Now he sleeps on the wheelchair at night and I'll usually hold one of his feet and go to sleep - awwwww! ::))

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Like the rest of royalty, my cats sleep wherever they want, and it's usually beside or on top of me. However, they have a basket with a cushion, which they like, and lots of high places to observe their kingdom until the sandman comes!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
yip, they love high places. we have 2 6ft tall bookcases and so they each have one with a blankey on top, they love em.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I bought a cat bed just in case they would like it, and Kitty is the only one that uses it. It's beside my bed. He used to sleep with me until Kittygirl came along, now he rarely gets in bed with me. He does use the bed, but not every night. Usually Kitty and Sophie sleep on the couch and chair, while Kittygirl hogs the bed or sleeps on top of me!

·
Registered
208 Posts
here's a way you can make yr own special cat bed (patent pending)

1. get a cardboard box

2. put it somewhere

and there you have it! :lol:

i'm positive that if i bought my cats a pet bed, they wouldn't even touch it. they like laying on my stuff (or even better, a guest's stuff) and that's about it. the only thing i can count on them to always be attracted to is a simple cardboard box. weirdos :lol:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have two cat beds, one for Stormy and one for Justin. Stormy sleeps in hers often during the day and sometimes Justin will also. Occasionally one of them will sleep in Justin's. Stormy's has that fleecy type material in it and they seem to like that better. At night they usually end up sleeping on my bed for most of the night.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I bought a sheepskin bed for the kitties, and the first day they didn't use it. So I put some catnip on it, and ever since then it's been their favorite spot to sleep. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
When my previous cat, Rom, was young, we bought him beds and one of the condominium type boxes. He mostly ignored the beds, although he did choose a favorite box of the condominium to sleep in at times. Mostly he chose to sleep on our bed, sofa, bar stools or a chair. He would sometimes nap in a sunbeam at a window or at the back patio door. The cat beds went ignored.

As he grew older it became increasingly difficult for him to reach his favorite condominium box, the bar stools and eventually even the bed or chairs without assistance. He developed arthritis that limited his jumping. He'd stand and look at where he wanted to be, and if we noticed we'd lift him. We then got him a new two story box with the lower box being at floor level and a new round bed with a removable washable cover. He welcomed them and used both. For his arthritis we also got one of the kitty warming pads made to go under the cover of his bed. He spent more and more time in his new warm bed.

Our new cat, Kiwi, inherited the two story box, the bed and the kitty warming pad. Shortly after we got her from the humane shelter, she developed an upper respiratory infection for a few days. During that time she didn't feel well and slept a lot. She chose the bed with the warming pad. After she got better she didn't spend much time in the bed, but used the sofa, or bar stools for sleeping. When we had her spayed, while she was convalescing, she again used the warm bed extensively. As she got better she used the bed less and less until now she only uses it occasionally on cool mornings for a short nap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts