Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide if I should get a rabbit or not. Do they bite? Are there any breeds that you'd suggest? Will they use the bathroom when they are out of their cage? Any information would be great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have a rabbit. I love her, but I don't really suggest them as pets. We sort of inherited this one, and I'm not sure I'd do it over again.

Some rabbits can be given the run-of-the-house, but because they will chew electrical cords, you generally have to watch them. They can be litter box trained, but unless you can give them lots of attention, they generally end up in a cage.

I work all day, so I'm only able to spend a few hours with our rabbit each night - if we're not doing anything else. We try to give her plenty of attention, but you've got to ask yourself if you want an animal to be caged for most of the day and ask yourself how much attention you can give.

The rabbits in our local pet store have lots of sores from biting each other, and they reproduce like - well - rabbits. So people end up with unwanted baby rabbits that are cute, but end up as impulse purchases that spend most of their lives in cages thereafter.

Also, some vets don't have experience with rabbits and will not do any surgical procedures (like spaying) as a result.

I'd suggest a rabbit if you can really give it a good share of attention, you have a vet in your area that will take them, you have a "safe" house with cords tucked away. They're snuggly and cute, but it's a two-way street. You can't put a rabbit in a cage and ignore it for 3 days while you do work, which is easier to do with cats, since they're so independent and free-roaming and can play on their own throughout an entire house.

You've got to make sure your house is one in which the rabbit can roam around or you have to set aside time each day to give the animal attention and make sure it's life is interesting.

Also, rabbits can bite. Our rabbit only nips defensively on occasion, but some rabbits (particularly if they're not spayed/neutered) can become hyper-sexual and aggressive. As with other animals, it depends on the individual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts