Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'm in a Science Fiction class and i'm wondering if there is anyone out there who loves Science Fiction....now be careful don't reply unless you are willing to be bombarded with questions... :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
To an extent - I love reading Heinlein for instance, and occasionally watch shows like Stargate. My dad's a major Sci-Fi freak, so I've had a lot of it drilled into me.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sci Fi

I really enjoy Sci Fi, but I wouldn't exactly call myself a 'buff'.
I love, for instance, Ursula le Guin, Brian Aldiss, Ray Bradbury, John Wyndham - also many Sci Fi films as long as they aren't *too* violent!

seashell

·
Registered
132 Posts
A Science Fiction class, huh? Is that some kind of creative writing, or is it merely appreciation of the genre?

In college I had a Popular Fiction class that covered most of the major genres, including detective, sci-fi, and fantasy. Others (like westerns) had to be excluded for time but were replaced with movies.

I've tried writing my own science fiction but it's geared toward "interactive" fiction in RPGs. Mainly it's scenes or a list of what a character would say in the right circumstance. Whether the scene occurs depends on what the player characters do, so about 75% of what I write never "happens" in the story. My other problem is I focus too much on technology and not enough on personality.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I guess I like science fiction...although what I really enjoy is fantasy. For authors I like Stephen Lawhead, Mercedes Lackey, Maggie Furey, Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Roberson etc.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I like science fiction, especially movies. I haven't read many books recently. I want to read the entire Dune series sometime. I read the first 2, but it was several years ago and I'd have to reread them.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sci Fi

Blinkin'cat, I'd say don't bother with the rest of Dune :)
After the first 2 books, it all became completely ridiculous.
That's just my opinion, though - no doubt other people will tell you differently :lol:

seashell

·
Banned
12,195 Posts
EllyBelly -

The Hobbit isn't science fiction, it's fantasy. Different genre.

BTW, IMHO The Hobbit is better than The Lord of the Rings

I haven't read much lately, but used to read quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
EllyBelly said:
The class is called Science Fiction and thats a required read....
That is a great read! I've read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings through at least once a year since I was eight. (Once or twice for school, mostly for pleasure.) If you need any help with that, I can certainly oblige!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
SF buffs

I agree with Tim that The Hobbit is actually better than Lord of the Rings.
I loved LOTR when I first read it (aged 16), but on re-reading it seems a bit over-blown and pretentious. And a hymn to the British class system.
Whereas the Hobbit is really good fun, and a rattling good yarn.

seashell

·
Registered
49 Posts
jessamica8 said:
I've read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings through at least once a year since I was eight. (Once or twice for school, mostly for pleasure.) If you need any help with that, I can certainly oblige!
Did you read "The Simarillion"...and if yes, what do you think about it?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I like Sci-Fi. I had to order the second Ringworld book. I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

I read LOTR and enjoyed it, but I didn't finish The Hobbit. I found it boring. Maybe I'll give it another try. I also read the first half of The Silmarilion. It's a lot like reading The Bible.

War of the Worlds was fantastic!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts