Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned how to sew in home economics class in 6th grade. I've sewn ever since but mainly on my mother's dinosaur of a sewing maching - a singer about 30 years old. I moved out awhile ago and don't have a sewing machine of my own. Does anyone have any recommendations before I head out to Jo-Ann Fabric? I would use it to sew clothes and handbags. Clearly I am old school and not at all used to the modern machines with their latest features. I am used to threading a machine and making button holes the old way. I am looking forward to one with newer features but I don't need too many bells and whistles. I'd just like it to sew through a variety or fabrics easily but not intended for a novice either. I consider it an investment and am willing to spend money now on one that will last rather than one I'll outgrow. Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'll second the Brother brand. I know some people don't like it but it's worked well for what I want to sew. It was about $110 at Wal Mart.
Our model is the XL-5130. It's easy to thread and works pretty well. I'd say start out with a project that needs straight lines, like pillows or simple purses as you get used to the new machine.
http://craftster.org/forum is a great place for inspiration and help on many craft projects, including sewing.
--Annasaur

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have been telling my husband for awhile now that I would like a sewing machine and to take some classes. When my MIL and I were searching for dress patterns for our flower girls, I was amazed at the number of patterns for things I would wear! And someone on another forum makes her own curtains.

I definitely am interested, but I never took a Home Ec class; I just know the basic hand stitches, and that's it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I suggest a Babylock Denim Pro 2

I use it for my costuming gig, best thing I ever did.
Was going to get a Singer but since the copyright expired anyone can use that name and it's really hard to get replacement parts because they're all different manufacterers really

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have a Kenmore (sears) sewing machine, model # 12912. It does the basics and is a good machine. No frills.

I really need to go to take sewing lessons though :p I have made numerous duvet covers, curtains, pillows, table cloths, bags but nothing more adventurous than that! I was horrible at using the sewing machines in home ec back in junior high...I am mostly self taught after observing my Mom and Grandma sew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts