Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have/(had) my own electrical contracting business for the last 6 years I am closing the doors this week. Everything has dried up I had four home builders I work for and two have gone under and the other 2 have no new projects on their radar. The service work has dried up also. I used to get 4-5 calls a week for some little problem but even that has been shut off. I sure hope Obama can turn the spigot back on soon!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having to shut down your business! What a let down.

My business is definately slower than last year! I made about half during my normal busiest months this season, compared to last. My orders coming in are much smaller than other years, though I'm sure folks are trying to get by with just the bare minimums. I am still getting orders though, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That's bad news Sparky :(

Partner is a carpenter and until last year was mainly employed on building sites. All the site work has now dried up, but he managed to get quite a lot of private jobs on. He was really busy up until Christmas, mainly with home improvement stuff - new doors, kitchens etc. But he hasn't got any work on now. We're hoping its just a post Xmas lull.

We could just about get by on my salary alone if we really had to. I work at a University which is supposedly in fairly good shape financially so we should be OK fingers crossed.

But these days you never really know do you? What seemed secure one minute crashes the next.

Lets all hope for better things in 2009.

seashell

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I'm sorry that you are closing your business Sparky.

My son has been out of work since the middle of December because DHL domestic closed. Now my step son is losing his job because Circuit City is closing. Thank goodness that it seems my step daughter's job is secure for now. My husband's job is secure.

Each day gets scarier and scarier. I find myslf glued to CNN and feeling more desperate for the country each day.

·
Registered
981 Posts
We finally just got some slabs to frame on, but work is still slow. We are in a crunch cash whys but its not the economy just everything being due at the same time (both car registrations, poa dues, refinancing home)

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I'm so sorry for all those who have lost their jobs. A family friend just lost his job with IBM. He had twenty years seniority, and we thought he was the last one who would lose his job! IBM sent him all over S. America and Europe. :(

Personally, I have noticed a huge increase in food prices. I understand that the price of gas had affected prices, but the price of gas has gone down. My guess is that the price of food will remain high. If they can get the price, they'll do it. As for me, I cut down on my grocery list. I keep it to absolute necessities.

An example: A few years ago, the price for 20 pounds of bird seed was 5.95; it's now $10. That's a huge increase! And that's a KMart price! When I buy bird seed, I usually go to a feed store, but my husband thinks it's closer to KMart, so he picks it up there. :(

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Jeanie said:
I understand that the price of gas had affected prices, but the price of gas has gone down. My guess is that the price of food will remain high. If they can get the price, they'll do it.
IMO, it isn't that "if they can charge that, they will", it is most likely governed by the fact that at the time the gas prices were high, that was the cost of the fuel they used to cultivate, maintain, harvest, transport and process their crops. When those costs have been covered, then prices will go down to reflect the lower operating costs at that time.
Farming is an industry that doesn't react immediately to price changes because today's prices reflect the past costs/efforts to bring that produce to market. As an aside, I can also see that theory driving the costs of other items, too.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My husband and I both got laid off at the end of '08, so I can sympathize. It's a tough market out there! Keep an eye on craigslist.com for labor jobs and you might find some work. However, be prepared to lower your prices in order to get the work. My husband does drywall on the side, and he started responding to ads for drywall work but wasn't getting any responses. After a few weeks we tested the waters by posting our own drywall job and then looking at the pricing that came in. Wow! We got about 40 responses in 12 hours, and the prices ranged from 12 to 50 bucks a sheet to hang, tape, mud and sand it. (Normal price per sheet is between 30-40 bucks.)

You might also try creating a brochure or postcard to advertise yourself that you could distribute around the neighborhood, post on local store bulletin boards, or ask friends/family to display at their offices. My husband did that and got a couple of jobs that way. People seem to definitely be interested in hiring someone who is local, so it can't hurt to try.

Good luck, and let's all keep our hopes up that this economy turns around soon!

·
Registered
777 Posts
What has hit us very hard is the food prices , the decent pet food is imported , and it has doubled in price in the past few months.

A bag of potatoes has gone up 400% since last month , rice has doubled ..... salaries tho havent doubled. We stopped eating meat a long tome ago , but even chicken is up by 50%.

So all of us including the animals are tightening our belts.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Personally, I have noticed a huge increase in food prices.
My Animal Sciences professor last semester was a bee keeper, and he informed us that due to the mysterious wasting diesease (parasite, chemical, whatever is causing the hive collapses), bee farmers are losing something like 50% or more of their hives every year, and they don't know why. The price of bees thus goes up, and many, many farmers use bees as pollinators. And thus, food prices go up too.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I got made redundant....

then got redeployed. I do know how very lucky I am.
The money for buying new books and other materials has been frozen for the forseable future, which isn't exactly wonderful.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Yup...I'm laid off as of this coming Friday...

·
Banned
439 Posts
Here in NYC, I'm noticing a third of the lunch places that catered to 9-5 workers have closed their doors.
so either fewer people are commuting and working in those areas, or more people are brown bagging it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I feel for those who have lost their jobs, and I hope that ya'll are able to find something soon. I'm feeling the crunch though I just got my head above water. I'm working two jobs (full time subsitute at an elementary school which gives me my benefits and I'm a waitress part time) and attempting to save to go back to school. We just learned today that we are losing 3 full time teachers to be able to keep our teacher's assistants (parapros) and our speciality teachers for math and reading. so 3 brand new teachers who just start their careers this year (aug 08) have lost their jobs. Its heartwrenching. Right now the state of GA has a hiring freeze of new teachers which is going to make it impossible to get these ladies jobs. I really hope that in the future our economy looks up because if we are making more cuts in education then our future leaders are not going to be educated enough to ensure the future.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
You bet. We were a little "ahead of the curve" this past year, Hubby was looking for work for most of last year. We were living on benefits and income from our duplex, with family help. He found a real job last fall for two months, was laid off and then hired for a different job which we hope will be more stable, it seems much better.

On the other hand, one of our tenants just gave notice and we are looking for new people for the apartment...From what I can see in the "rentals available" and "housing wanted" sections of craigslist, things are dicey. Looks like our place is a little below market, and I am pushing to keep it that way - I would rather have it rented than vacant. I just hope that whoever moves in doesn't lose their job! The tenants we've had for the last few years have been very stable, and nice people, too. Tough times.

And Sparky and doodlebug, I am sorry to read your news...Lots of luck to you! I know there are others here at CF in the same position, and we were there just a few months ago...

Fran

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm so sorry you had to shut your doors Sparky !

We are definately feeling the crunch .. hubby lost his job 7 months ago and there are no jobs in sight. He's to the point that he's gonna go make pizza's at Papa Murphy's if they'll hire him. He has supervisory experience and can't find a job anywhere.

Good luck to you and keep a tough upper lip !

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Sorry you had to close your business Sparky! That must be tough :(

My brother walked into his job centre yesterday to be told there was not one single job suitable for him to apply for. Not one. Pretty grim. And everytime I turn the news on, there are more redundancies.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sparky said:
I have/(had) my own electrical contracting business for the last 6 years I am closing the doors this week. Everything has dried up I had four home builders I work for and two have gone under and the other 2 have no new projects on their radar. The service work has dried up also. I used to get 4-5 calls a week for some little problem but even that has been shut off. I sure hope Obama can turn the spigot back on soon!

Yeah we are feeling the economic crunch :roll: our home has lost $25,000 in value in the last year and now we can't refinance.. having said that our interest rate is VERY high.. and we are currently working with NACA to fix our rate to a decent interest.
And I know the terms of our loan were appalling but it is all we could get with our credit.. they told us no problem refinancing in 2 years, ha! the housing industry has gone down the tubes.. but stone the crow!!
thank Goodness we still have our jobs!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts