Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've seen any of my previous threads, Barnaby seems to be having an issue with food allergies. He was vomiting almost daily and the vet gave him a cortizone shot which stopped the vomiting. About the time the shot wore off he started up again so the vet gave him another shot and said if the vomiting stops again, it looks like he's allergic to his food.

Well the vomiting did stop so I weaned him off of his chicken/turkey food and switched him over to Natural Balance duck and green pea variety. He loves the food which was my biggest worry, but it seems that as the shot is wearing off he is having vomiting troubles again. He has vomited twice in the last week and also regularly dry heaves like he was doing when he was vomiting regularly.

So what is the next step? The vet said fish variety food is probably going to give him the same problems because cats with food allergies are commonly allergic to the fish foods too.

He mentioned venison based cat food but I have not seen anything like that around here. I would hate to order a large quantity of any food just to find out it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I have been feeding him grain free food for months now, ever since this started and the current Natural Balance food I feed him is also grain free. Are you saying not to feel him ANY dry food?

I don't know how much of a rotation of foods I could give him because he seems to be allergic to any chicken or turkey varieties.

Right now the vomiting isn't as bad as it had been. I don't know if this has to do with the change of food or if it's because the shot hasn't fully worn off.

Is Nature's Variety raw food or just the other 2 you named?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
You can get a good rotation of diet without chicken or Turkey and NOT feed dry. I would get him off the dry. My guy who is allergic can't eat dry at all, it doesn't matter if it grain free. It makes him vomit.

My guys are on a grain free, chicken free and turkey free diet of straight canned and I was able to find at least 8 or 9 different brand/protein combinations(I'm sure more if I search harder) that didn't contain any of those.

Currently they are eating Merrick's Cowboy cookout (not carb free but grain free), Natural Balance Duck and Pea (more carbs than I'd like but they are both at a good weight) and By Nature beef and beef liver.

I use the By Nature as a filler for the kitten to offset the higher price of the others. He eats larger quantities and gets an extra meal and that stuff is much cheaper than the others so that's his third and fourth meal.

Next month I'll switch out the Cowboy Cookout and Duck and Pea for two other brands.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Most often it is the protein that cats are allergic to. The only real way to eliminate food allergies as the cause of his troubles is to fee a "hypo-allergenic" diet for at least 4 weeks. These diets, like Hills z/d, contain hydrolyzed protein. The protein molecules are reduced to a size that his body can't see as an attacker.

Using a novel protein, like duck, is another way to go, although it's not as definitive. I went both routes with Franklin. He did not improve on either z/d or duck.

If Barnaby is eating only duck and still puking, it may not be allergies. If he is fine until the cortisone shot wears off something is causing inflammation in his digestive tract. If food allergies and parasites can be eliminated as the cause it might be helpful to ask your vet about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).

IBD is not curable but is highly treatable. I went through a rather unpleasant year with Franklin. We chased every parasite and every food allergy imaginable. Finally a biopsy confirmed he has IBD. He now takes 5mg prednisolone every other day and he has thrown up once since he started 18 months ago.

I know what your going through :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
My mom's cat had the same problem. The food we found that worked for her was a rabbit and pea food the vet ordered for us. We did half that and half wet food (I can't remember what the wet food was though, sorry. It was years ago).

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I went through exactly what you're describing (minus the steriod shots) with Jitzu. I tried a wide variety of dry food, none of which worked very well (grain free included). The one she did the best on was the Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea that you mentioned. However, like your kitty, she was throwing up almost daily.

When I switched her to all wet food she did do much better. Vomiting 2-3 times per week. (BTW my vet told me this was 'normal'...) She didn't completely improve until I switched her to raw, in fact she is the reason I switched to raw!

Now, after 3 years on raw meat she's doing great. I noticed a difference in her within a month of starting a totally raw diet.

The only time she vomits now is if she eats too fast, lol, or if I feed them a 'treat' canned food meal. She can handle canned occasionally, but a few flavors (chicken) still don't sit well with her sometimes. Since they only get canned once a month, or less, I don't worry about it.

I'd suggest switching to all wet food, and see how that goes. I had to look further because I wasn't getting the result I had wanted, but I know there are others here with similar stories that had much happier kitties on an all wet food diet.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Good heavens, Librarychick. Your vet told you chronic vomiting was normal? I'm..... I'm totally flabbergasted.

Healthy cats vomit exactly as often as healthy humans vomit.

Not to put too fine a point on it, cat vomit is such a common topic because so very many cats are being fed foods that are entirely inappropriate for their digestive systems. Foods that are so heavily over-processed they're no longer recognizable on a biological level. Foods full of chemicals and poisonous additives and...

Let me stop and just put it to you this way. I was feeding the BEST canned foods available - Evo 95% Meat, Nature's Variety Instinct, Wellness Grain Free, etc. - when I switched my cats over to raw. I switched NOT because my cats were sick or because I thought anything was wrong with what I was feeding, but because I wanted personal control over what they were eating after losing a cat in the 2007 pet food poisoning horror.

And yet, within just a few WEEKS, my cats were all acting as silly and as energetic as kittens. And two of them were kittens, so the comparison between before and after was extraordinary to see.

Beyond any of the other many benefits of feeding raw, the profoundness of that change proved to me incontrovertibly that commercial foods aren't all they claim they are, or should be. I don't know if it's because they're still missing some vital as-yet-undiscovered nutrient or because the additives are more poisoness than we've been led to believe, but my adult cats - eating the best foods available on the market - were the typical sleepyheads cats are so often portrayed to be, and now they're not.

And not one of my six cats vomits regularly. In fact, I can't remember that last time I saw any vomit at all.

That vet hasn't got a clue.

AC
I agree with you entirely AC. That was only one of MANY reasons I switched vets at the time. That vet had suggested I try the Science Diet food...I did for 1 week and she was so sick after each time she ate that I took it back. The vet actually told me that it was normal. I was floored!

That was when I started looking into nutrition for them. I KNEW that throwing up everyday couldn't possibly be normal, and more likely was really bad for her.

The parts that makes me sad is that I know this same vet is still treating pets, and likely giving other owners the same advice. In fact a friend of mine has a dog that's going to this vet and, due to the vets POV about food allergies (they don't exist) the dog has been on steroids for a few years, with the obvious side effect of kidney and liver damage. All preventable if they would just switch the food. Unfortunately this friends parents won't listen to me because "The vet knows best!" The poor dog....

Anyways, back to topic. Jitzu went through a HUGE change after I started feeding raw. Not only did her coat improve, and the litter box smell less, but she also started being a nicer cat. I hadn't thought a change in food could make the difference, but it sure did!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I did find some of those varieties locally such as venison and rabbit. I did try to feed him the rabbit food last night and he wouldn't touch it, even after I locked him in a room with it for an hour. Baxter, on the other hand, was happy to wolf it down. Figures the finicky one is the one with the problems.

Anyways, I just fed him his wet food (Duck) and he almost immediately vomited it up. I am still giving him some dry food but have increased his wet feedings. Could the dry food in his system be causing him to vomit his wet food?

Is all of Nature's variety raw? I did see a few varieties of that brand in the store and bought a can of the lamb formula but it doesn't say anything about being raw.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts