Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 and am getting a kitten today. I just wondered how many people have more than 2 cats. I hope the 2 adjust well, they are 2 and 3 years old. So I hope they're young enugh to adapt well. I think I could easily become a crazy cat lady given the opportunity - but then I also think the number of cats doesn't make a crazy cat lady. I am crazy about cats period, and I only need 1 to be considered a crazy cat lady! Which, by the way, I don't like the label - what do people with multiple dogs get called?

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are lots of people here with more than 2 cats!
I have three boys. I adopted each of them separately when they were already adults. They all get along just fine. Two are not the best of friends, but they do ok. My third is my "goodwill aambassador"- he loves everyone and every thing.

I also foster for a rescue group and currently have two 16 week olds.

Good luck with the integration. Take it slow and you should be fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You will meet many people with more than 2 cats here! Welcome! :)

I have two 4 years old boys and I recently (3 weeks ago) adopted a 5-year-old female. We are still doing the introductions but it's going well so far.

Since your third cat is a kitten it will probably be ok! Adult cats accept the presence of kitten more easily than other adults. Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh and we love pictures :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
Four here now, three earlier, four before that, three before that, and so on. All rescued, all at different times, and at different ages. Congratulations on your new family member. Give them time to get used to the changes and all will be well. :)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have 6 cats ranging in age from a year old to 16+ years old. Lots
of work taking care of them but also lots of love and fun. They bring
so much joy to my life!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Had three, went up to four. Lost one this past January, so back down to three. Found a little female version of the baby I lost in January. That was on April 24, so we're back up to four.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have four cats.

I got the two girls a year apart. Then three years ago my first boy found me. This past April, I adopted my fourth. He's still an outcast. :( I really hope they all warm up soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies - good to know I am not alone in feeling the need to have more than 2. The new one is a seal point Siamese - no confirmed name yet. The two adults are Siberians. They are very curious but the new boy is still in a room by himself. He has been crying a lot, but since he is only 8 weeks old, I guess that can be expected. I think this is the youngest kitten I have ever had so I wasn't prepared for the crying. I did find myself questioning my decision when I was up at 5 this morning with the crying. But I know that will pass. He is very shy so I am also taking that very slow before introducing him to the adult cats. I want him to feel comfortable with us first - I am sure that when he is released into the house he will disappear and I won't find him for awhile! So any further tips here would be welcome. I will post pictures of all my babies soon.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Now that's a full house! Do they have many spats over territory and such? I bet your lap is never empty. :p
One of the things I enjoy the most about having so many cats is I *always* have a kitty who wants to snuggle with me. A common, and acceptable(!), decline around our home is saying: "I can't, I've got a cat on me!"

As for spats and territory? Nope. Everyone shares nicely.
I've kept a multi-cat home (over 5 cats) for more than 15 years and while there are always some hissings, growlings and mutterings when the newcomer comes in ... I've not had any knock-down-drag-out fights among our cats. I believe it is due to the way I am able to intro-cats and allow them to accept each other. I also have plenty of places for cats to go if they want to remove themselves from the group for a time, but all cats will eat, play and sleep together. Granted, some cats prefer the company of specific cats more than others, but as a whole, the group is generally respectful of ALL cat residents.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I have 6 cats. For the most part we are fight free.

Heidi is the Cat Whisperer so that is the reason her herd gets along so well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
just 3 cats now, but the two sisters lives in Germany with my dad and i moved to the usa and we found this cute little kitty X3 I name her Hoshi

·
Registered
624 Posts
I only have 2 but I would love to have atleast have three!
The only thing that's stopping me is my Dad.....:?

If I got a thrid, I'd get a Ragdoll;) (as most of you know for my love of them:p)

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have five kitties here now, and they are all indoors. There was a little hissing and growling when Frodo (the third) came in, but the other two(Sasha and Rosalie) accepted him after a few days. When we brought Arwen home(our Norwegian, and a kitten), the only one that got huffy with her was Frodo. This lasted for a few days, but they are now very best buds! We brought Voldemort into our home a few days ago. Right now, he is hanging out in our office, adjusting to smells and sounds. We're taking it slow with him, but I think he will be okay once he is used to everything and everyone. The other kitties have been sniffing him through the crack in the bottom of the door and vice-versa.

It is easier for adult cats to accept a kitten, because they're not so much of a threat to their "territory." It's a bit more difficult with adults, but they usually assimilate into the family dynamics fairly quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So those of with you more than 2 cats have no problem with them all getting the affection that they want? I really want to be able to give them all the attention they desire. Do they usually have different things they like - some like to cuddle, some don't? Three cats will be new to me - can you tell?

·
Registered
132 Posts
What I have found with my babies is that they will tell me when they want some time just for them, either by jumping onto my lap, "talking" to me(Arwen especially does this), or following me around. Two of my five are really not too demanding of affection, but they have their moments.
For the most part, all of them except the new addition get along really well, and they have three people to lavish them with love. It is a good dynamic, and none of them seem starved for affection.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I think I could easily become a crazy cat lady given the opportunity - but then I also think the number of cats doesn't make a crazy cat lady. I am crazy about cats period, and I only need 1 to be considered a crazy cat lady!
Good point! I have one cat and am officially a crazy cat lady. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts