Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The member thread made me think of it. :p World of Warcraft! Anyone else?

I'm quite new, only one character, a lvl 35 Priest. Since the recent patch though, I've been having issues with being disconnected. :( It's very addicting, and you can bet that my cats let me know when I've been playing too long - by walking or sitting across my keyboard. They've killed me more than once!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
:D I have an 80 mage, priest, paladin and hunter but have been playing for ages :) I'm also having some issues sicne the shattering patch..no doubt yours will get fixed first, us on the EU servers always have to wait ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had a lvl 40 ranger a while back (almost 4 years ago I guess). But during the summer before my senior year of school WoW got corrupted on my machine and I didn't want to go through the HOURS it would have taken to reinstall so I just left it because I knew I needed all my focus to get through my senior year of school. I haven't picked it up since. I get addicted to a game for a few months but then it bores me.

I have picked up MUDing (text based RPG) since then but my interest in that has flagged as well. I really only get online to talk to my friends that still play. Though I currently don't have internet at home so that kinda stops me from doing this ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Oh, I've also played a few games of DnD as well. I'm not that good at it yet, only because I haven't been able to find a group to play with on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yup! Been playing since vanilla. My main is an 80 human frost mage. I also have a massive army of alts, because I'm an altaholic and love leveling up every profession. So far I also have an 80 disc/holy priest, an 80 frost DK, and an 80 feral druid. And alts of every other class at various leveling states. Except rogue, I'm holding out for Cataclysm to roll a worgen rogue!

Lately I've been having a lot of fun with the new patch. I love the look of the troll druids, so I've been leveling one of those.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only been playing for about a month, with the one priest... up to how many alts can you have? Everyone I've played with can tell that I'm a noob somehow. After a few minutes of gameplay they're like, "Is this your first character?" :/ It's such an intricate game, I must really suck! But it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yeah the community isn't the best sometimes..

You can have 10 characters per faction/server.

Saitenyo, my main spec is disc on my priest but have been melting some faces in the bgs as shadow, fun times :D

I have a lil druid too, the troll starting area is awesome!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's really unfortunate how rude people can be in groups sometimes. I admittedly get cranky if someone is clearly trying to cause problems, or not listening to advice, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and it it seems like they're new to the game, I'd rather try to be helpful than overly critical.

You get it even when you're not new to the game though. I've been healing some low-level instances on my druid, and I don't know if they changed something dramatically or what, but I am having a seriously difficult time with it (and noticing other low-level healers having the same issues) despite being great at healing on my priest back in the day. And so I've had people yelling at me, or another healer, "You suck noob!" or "Fail healer is fail!" or whatever. I generally just ignore them and eventually they drop group while the more patient people remain.

And yeah I've actually been DPSing with Disc on my priest. I tried shadow once and wasn't a fan, but I've found disc works pretty well for questing/solo leveling as an alternative. The bursty style of casting reminds me of my mage.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WoW players generally don't hold a candle in rudeness to Guild Wars players, though. :p They're the worst. I think it's the lack of a subscription fee for GW that attracts every foul-mouthed 13 year old on the planet.

Has anyone played a blood elf? I'm going back and forth on getting that expansion because they seem really cool. I've never played Horde before though, is it really any different?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I played GW for a little while when I was trying to save money by cutting out the WoW subscription. Beautiful graphics but I guess I got spoiled by WoW's gameplay, because I eventually just went back to WoW.

And yup, I've played a few blood elves. The primary differences between horde and alliance are obviously the races you can choose, as well as very different questing areas at lower levels. Once you reach higher levels both factions tend to quest in the same areas. I don't really have a preference myself. I play mostly alliance these days simply because that's where a lot of my friends are, but I've done both quite a bit.

If you're enjoying the game, I definitely recommend the expansions though, as beyond adding new races, they add a ton of new content and levels. The Outlands (the large 60-70 questing area in the Burning Crusade expansion) remains my favorite questing area ever. Because it's kind of in space and I'm a big sci-fi fan. Everything is glowy. It's very pretty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooooh. That DOES sound fun!

I've been very impressed by the variety of environments to quest in in WoW. I went into it thinking that it was just a DnD style game, sort of medieval. And it is, but there are also places like Jurassic Park, Middle Earth (Lord of the Rings), haunted forests... etc. And now SPACE! :)

I played GW before WoW and at first didn't want to play WoW because the graphics weren't as impressive as GW's. And the characters weren't as "sexy." But WoW's gameplay goes into so much more detail. I'm going to stick with it unless GW2 really is as awesome as they're making it out to be.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
They've been making some awesome graphical improvements with WoW lately too (I looooove the new water). I really hope they update the old player models at some point (especially the humans) since the newer ones (worgen, blood elves, draenei, goblins) look so much nicer.

These are screencaps of my two favorite zones from the Outlands. Zangarmarsh: http://www.keenandgraev.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/zangarmarsh.jpg and Nagrand: http://thebarracks.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/nagrand3.jpg

The zones in that expansion are so varied and pretty. I was actually somewhat disappointed with the third expansion (Wrath of the Lichking) because most of it looks...kind of the same. It's all just forests and snow, which was neat at first but gets boring after a little while. I mean I guess Northrend, as a snowy wasteland, can only be varied up so much, but after all the variation that was in BC, I guess I expected more of WotLK. I really hope Cataclysm goes back to a more varied set of terrain!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Woah woah woah woah.... STOP.

Actual females play WoW?

I don't believe.
Haha, until recently, I had more female friends who played WoW than male ones actually.

I wonder if any of us are on any of the same servers? What servers are you guys on, if you feel comfortable sharing?

My primary alliance server is Bladefist.
I used to play horde on Bonechewer, but these days when I play horde, it's on Kil'jaeden. Also had some alliance characters on KJ when I first started.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oooh, very cool terrains! I agree that the old models need some updating. Just look at the two elf races - the dark elves and the blood elves. The dark elves look so rough in comparison with the newer blood elves. Or are they just supposed to look like that? :/ I love the draenei as well. I might just be a silly girl, but I don't like to play characters that don't look pretty. You'll never see me playing an undead or a troll, because the lack of aesthetic overwhelms the novelty of the gameplay. I'd have to get really bored playing the pretty characters first!

I'm actually the only female I know IRL who plays WoW. Very few of my friends know, I'm a bit of a closet gamer. :p BTW, have you guys seen that internet TV show called The Guild? Hee-larious.

I'm on Garona. I let the game choose for me, I didn't know the significance of servers when I started out.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Naw, they're not supposed to look like that, it's just that the models are so old so they use a much lower polygon count which makes them look chunky and rough and less detailed. The humans are the worst. I ended up making my human mage an old bald wizard man, because it's impossible to make a young attractive male human. Their faces are all rough and wrinkly.

I'm a big fan of the draenei models too. As such a lot of my alliance alts (most of them actually) have ended up being draenei. Although I hate their mounts, which is unfortunate. I always end up just farming talbuk mounts for them instead.

And I dunno if it's a silly girl thing, but I'm the same. I'm an artist, so my characters have to look at least neat in some way. I actually love the design of the male trolls though. They're my favorite horde race. I love their color selection and stylized look.

Never played undead though! I am terrified of zombies. I tried rolling one once and couldn't get past the fact that my character freaked me out. XD

Definitely not a closet gamer here. I gave up hiding my nerdy interests long ago and then I ended up going into the gaming industry professionally, where being a gamer is required, so I guess it worked out!

And I haven't actually seen the Guild yet, I am ashamed to say. I've been meaning to watch it for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
I've got a level 60 human mage signed off in Iron Forge, lol. I quit before their was ability to level past 60. I only quit because it was over taking my life. I do love the game though. If it's still around when I retire, I will be playing it again!! :p

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yep! I've been playing since release day, and waited in line to pick up WOTLK at midnight. I have an 80 Tauren warrior tank, an 80 Undead shadow priest, and a 29 Tauren boomkin.

My life doesn't revolve around the game, though I've been involved in end-game raiding since Molten Core, and I was regarding Cata with a sort of "Meh" attitude... until I logged in after last week's patch. Not gonna lie, I got very teary when I took the zeppelin into Orgrimmar for the first time. My god, everything's changed. I'm still finding my way around the world again. Thousand Needles stunned me a little!

(I've tried quitting the game before, but I found that I missed it after several weeks, so I went back. Glad I did, because nearly a year ago, I met my lovely Welsh boyfriend in game, via friends. Eep. :) So far, so good!)

Oh! And I'm on Eitrigg. I started on Bleeding Hollow at release, transferred to Crushridge several months in, and moved to Eitrigg last year after I resubscribed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts