Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 year old Siamese is just a grumpy, mean cat! She's always moody.. She will randomly bite you and hiss at you. She has been like this for a long time, and now that we have other cats, she growls constantly at them. She's very attached to me, but she will even bite me sometimes! Out of nowhere.. it's weird because she's so affectionate with me when she wants to be. Anyone else have a mean kitty? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My Mum has a cat that sounds just like yours! She'll come to people for snuggles on the lounge but if you stroke her anywhere apart from her head/under her chin, she will lash out at you. She hates being picked up - she'll tolerate it for a little while but then start hissing and maybe even a scratch. She's an indoor/outdoor cat who will wait at the front door to be let in but as you open the door, she'll run past you hissing!
Despite her split persnality, she's quite fond of my 4 year old nephew, who absolutely loves her. They share a bed everynight.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Jitzu used to be a 'mean kitty', but it turned out she wasn't mean just misunderstood.

I think there are lots of kitties out there who are misunderstood, and it comes off as mean. It's too bad.

Now Jitzu is very sweet to me, because I took the time to help her work through her problems and to build a base of trust. Even if you've had this cat for a long time there are things you could do that will gradually help her behavior improve.

The first thing I'd suggest is to just watch her closely for a while. I guarantee that her 'attacks' do have signals before them so you need to learn what to look out for. With Jitzu her very first sign is the fur on her back will sort-of ripple. Then one of her ears will flick back, very quickly. After that if you can see her face her pupils get HUGE, and THEN she bites/swipes.

I had no idea what to look for at first, and she wasn't a particularly patient teacher, lol, so I got lots of swats until I caught on and stopped petting her when her fur rippled. I found out later that she does this because it's too much petting and affection at once and she feels overwhelmed and doesn't know what else to do about it.

As for the other cats, theres a few things you can do about that too but it goes much slower because you have less control over their behavior than you do your own.

Our Torri-cat is very very shy. She doesn't like sudden movements, or loud noises, or anyone to be too excited. She doesn't like our two boy cats because they like rambunctious play and she gets scared too easily for that. I try to give treats to everyone when she's out, and we have laser pointer play sessions to tire the boys out and keep everyone distracted. She is slowly getting more used to them, and the boys are learning to play by her rules if they want to play with her. Now she'll even occasionally sniff noses with Doran, and once she headbumped him! That's a huge step up from hissing when he came within 5 feet of her!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Squiggy, my avatar, is on the pycho side. He's had a hard life in a home and a hard life on the street. He doesn't put up with much.
AND
He's my favorite by far.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree with librarychick that most "mean" cats are misunderstood. Cats are who they are, and you can't force them to be who you want them to be. You just have to pay very close attention to what their "triggers" are, and stop doing those things. I have a cat that I can only scratch on the chin. If I touch her anywhere else, she will eventually bite/hiss. So, she only gets chin scratches. She was a stray and I have gained a lot of trust since I have had her, and I think that she trusts me because I let her be who she is and I love her for it.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
One of my cats bites/scratches hard seemingly at random. He never used to do it to me and then one day started in on attacking me as well as my father. We never have figured out why or seen much of a pattern, it could be attention based... like if we're watching TV and not him, except other times we're giving him attention and it still happens. So that kind of shoots down the attention theory. He knows he shouldn't either because often he runs off after... then again, sometimes he tries for a second round.

I know when he's staring fixated on me or his pupils are wide, he's about to lunge. He's always been like that though, it might just be because he was a feral kitten... he actually hasn't done it in several months (whereas before it could be almost daily or weekly or monthly), so maybe in his old age he's mellowing out.

Besides the random attacks... err, and the spraying around the house, he's the sweetest cat, always meowing and happy. We endure his less pleasing attributes because of how great he is the rest of the time.

As far as your cat goes, did she do this before you got the other cats? Has it got worse? It could easily be misplaced aggression you're seeing.

My other cat, Blacky, was a semi-feral but eventually tamed up completely - at first she bit and scratched me a lot since she wasn't as trusting - but now she lets me rub her tummy and everything... however, will still hiss and near bite me (and other times not stopped fast enough and sort of made it an 'oops, I didn't mean that' bite) due to being put-out by seeing or hearing another cat and getting grumpy from them and taking it out on the first thing that comes along. Me. :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a Siamese who was mean to other people. She would seem to be very friendly and invite lots of contact, but would sometimes fly at their faces suddenly if picked up. We were always telling people not to pick her up! She was never remotely like that with me.

She was extremely jealous of my partners and would play all sorts of psychological games with them...some of these were hilarious.

I blame myself....I did not realize how intense her relationship with me was, and I got a lovely little lilac point kitten when she was about a year old. I think it broke her heart. He was the most delightful little boy and he did everything to make friends with her, but whenever he came into a room she would just turn her face to the wall and grieve...she never attacked him or anything. Eventually I couldn't bear to upset her so much and I found a loving home for him (broke MY heart....but he had a wonderful life and was much beloved).

Her temperament was never quite the same.

My current pair of Cornish Rex dont have a mean bone in their body, but they are so boisterous that I often get accidentally scratched when they run over me when chasing each other.

My little girl is so intent on loving me properly that my nose would be reduced to a stub if I let her lick it as much as she wants to...ow! My boy licks every bit of me he can get his tongue on and then tries to chew me as his way of expressing love....I can control his impulses but not make them go away....

They are both major face strokers, but haven't managed to be reliable about leaving the claws IN when doing so. I often get an eyeful of loving spikes if I am not wary.

But none of this is remotely meant to be mean!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I agree with librarychick that most "mean" cats are misunderstood. Cats are who they are, and you can't force them to be who you want them to be. You just have to pay very close attention to what their "triggers" are, and stop doing those things. I have a cat that I can only scratch on the chin. If I touch her anywhere else, she will eventually bite/hiss. So, she only gets chin scratches. She was a stray and I have gained a lot of trust since I have had her, and I think that she trusts me because I let her be who she is and I love her for it.
I think of it like this; Jitzu is a cat who has personal space. I wouldn't be thrilled with some random person stroking my back, in fact I'd be quite upset about it. I also wouldn't like even a close freind to rub my head, scratch my ears, or rub my tummy. Why should I expect HER to be ok with everyone touching her?

TBH I think the expectations people have about other people's pets are often ridiculous. It's my job to protect my pets and to make sure their interactions with the people I've invited into my home are plesant. If I can't/won't do that, or if I blame my pets for scratching someone who thoroughly deserved it (ie sticking their big stranger-faces in Jitzu's face and expecting a headbump, even after being warned that she doesn't like strangers and to please not touch her) then I shouldn't have pets.

I've had people expect me to stand up for them, after they've done something dumb, and punish my cats; even though I'm always very clear about what I expect them to do and not do around my pets.

One of my cats bites/scratches hard seemingly at random. He never used to do it to me and then one day started in on attacking me as well as my father. We never have figured out why or seen much of a pattern, it could be attention based... like if we're watching TV and not him, except other times we're giving him attention and it still happens. So that kind of shoots down the attention theory. He knows he shouldn't either because often he runs off after... then again, sometimes he tries for a second round.

I know when he's staring fixated on me or his pupils are wide, he's about to lunge. He's always been like that though, it might just be because he was a feral kitten... he actually hasn't done it in several months (whereas before it could be almost daily or weekly or monthly), so maybe in his old age he's mellowing out.

Besides the random attacks... err, and the spraying around the house, he's the sweetest cat, always meowing and happy. We endure his less pleasing attributes because of how great he is the rest of the time.
As far as your cat goes, did she do this before you got the other cats? Has it got worse? It could easily be misplaced aggression you're seeing.

My other cat, Blacky, was a semi-feral but eventually tamed up completely - at first she bit and scratched me a lot since she wasn't as trusting - but now she lets me rub her tummy and everything... however, will still hiss and near bite me (and other times not stopped fast enough and sort of made it an 'oops, I didn't mean that' bite) due to being put-out by seeing or hearing another cat and getting grumpy from them and taking it out on the first thing that comes along. Me. :p
I'm a firm believer that 'random attacks' are very rarely that random...but that being said I'd have to see this behavior to have any idea of what the issue might be and how to change it.

I will say that there is likely a trigger, but it doesn't have to be anything you are aware of. Something as small as your neighbor's toaster going off could be his trigger...but there usually is one.

That isn't to say there's anything you could do to prevent it, don't get me wrong, it's quite possible that it's nothing you have any control over. But IMO it's never really and truly 'out of the blue' from the cat's perspective.

I had a Siamese who was mean to other people. She would seem to be very friendly and invite lots of contact, but would sometimes fly at their faces suddenly if picked up. We were always telling people not to pick her up! She was never remotely like that with me.

She was extremely jealous of my partners and would play all sorts of psychological games with them...some of these were hilarious.
I don't think that's mean at all. If some random guy tried to literally pick me up I'd be upset about it to! She probably felt trapped and very uncomfortable that someone she didn't know very well suddenly had control of her body.

I NEVER let anyone but myself or my partner pick Jitzu up. It's something that she really hates, unless it's me, and I respect that.

If someone acted like they were about to pick her up I would (and have) step in and MADE them stop. Not to protect them (because anyone who picks up the cat I introduce as 'sometimes the devil' kinda deserves what they're getting, IMO) but to protect HER because that's my job as her mum.

BTW I follow these rules at other people's homes as well. If they say 'don't pet the cat' then I won't pet the cat. Period. If the cat climbs into my lap and rubs their face on my face (which they tend to do if you respect their space and it's a somewhat shy kitty) THEN I'll pet them, and tell their owner why I'm an exception and how they can help their kitty like strangers more.

The only time I don't listen to those sort of rules is if I'm invited in with the goal of helping them change a certain behavior. In that case I keep a close eye on body language, explain what I'm doing the entire time, and I make a point of letting the animal set the boundaries.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I'm a firm believer that 'random attacks' are very rarely that random...but that being said I'd have to see this behavior to have any idea of what the issue might be and how to change it.

I will say that there is likely a trigger, but it doesn't have to be anything you are aware of. Something as small as your neighbor's toaster going off could be his trigger...but there usually is one.

That isn't to say there's anything you could do to prevent it, don't get me wrong, it's quite possible that it's nothing you have any control over. But IMO it's never really and truly 'out of the blue' from the cat's perspective.
Well, sure... cats probably have some sort of logic behind it, but it isn't a pattern I could ever nail down besides 'random instances' so if I can't find one, it's not something I'm going to be able to prevent... maybe sometimes it's because he's bored and other times it's for some other reason entirely. Maybe he has some sort of mental disorder. Who knows. He could be purring one second, lunging the next with teeth and claws. Other times we don't even know he's there and he'll be attacking, like he's stalking us or mad we're no looking at him. More than once I've had scratches and bite marks on my legs taking a few months to fully heal.

I know there are a lot of other cats like this that are at the cat sanctuary, they used to collar those ones to warn people but it was causing problems for the cats so now the dangerous ones are anyone's guess. One in particular you just do not go near, as sweet as he seems, that's the first cat you're warned about. It's not called unprovoked biting for nothing... these cats can have serious mood changes, I've seen it often.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Ack, stupid not editing thingy! :/

Well, sure... cats probably have some sort of logic behind it, but it isn't a pattern I could ever nail down besides 'random instances' so if I can't find one, it's not something I'm going to be able to prevent... maybe sometimes it's because he's bored and other times it's for some other reason entirely. Maybe he has some sort of mental disorder. Who knows. He could be purring one second, lunging the next with teeth and claws. Other times we don't even know he's there and he'll be attacking, like he's stalking us or mad we're no looking at him. More than once I've had scratches and bite marks on my legs taking a few months to fully heal.

I know there are a lot of other cats like this that are at the cat sanctuary, they used to collar those ones to warn people but it was causing problems for the cats so now the dangerous ones are anyone's guess. One in particular you just do not go near, as sweet as he seems, that's the first cat you're warned about. It's not called unprovoked biting for nothing... these cats can have serious mood changes, I've seen it often.
Carmel, I want to say that I wasn't saying you were doing anything wrong, or that you were causing these episodes. I should have been more clear, but I was speaking more in general. Since this is a public forum lots of people read it, so I mainly just didn't want to leave the thread with a feeling of "some cats are just crazy", which I don't personally believe to be true.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I'm sure you do everything you can to prevent and deal with your boy's attacks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts