Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI There, I 've been looking at cat trees, but the price is just crazy. I know i can built one for a fraction of the cost. As anyone ever attempted to built one and how did it go? Would love to see picture if you have any.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree - a cat tree could be built for far less than the rates I've seen in the pet stores (they are crazy!), plus it can be customized to fit/match in your specific home.

:D I've recently convinced my husband that we need to build one.
Well, we need to build 2 actually, cuz I'd like to build one for my sister as well (she has 2 cats too). SO, between the 3 of us, we'll soon be building 2 cat trees. My husband is one of those Mcgyver-types; he can build anything with a paperclip, so once we get started on the trees it shouldn't take long at all to complete them. I just want to have a very clear plan of what design we should do before we get started. I'll be sure to post some pics when we are done. I'm surfing around a bit getting some good ideas/inspiration from those who have already built thier own trees and been kind enough to share thier tips online. Both of my cats love to climb, so I'm fairly certain they'll use the tree enough to justify the work/expense to make it.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
It really shouldn't be hard at all. I'm going to try to build one some day, but probably not soon because I have nowhere to put it.

I've heard you can get carpet scraps from places that do carpeting and the wood shouldn't cost too much at all. You might even be able to use some wood that the stores don't want because its a little uglier or something... I'm not sure about that one though.

Be creative and take your time! Measure 10 times, cut once! Something like that anyway :?

Let us know how its going if you decide to build on.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
We are in the process of getting started on one! I don't think it would be that hard. And your right the prices are insane!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought a really nice one on Ebay for 130 plus 40 shipping. I've seen similiar ones at Petsmart for over 300.00

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just bought one on Ebay for $51.00 plus $31.00 shipping, you can see pictures of it in the "meet my kitty" forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts