Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a bottle of Leba III that she purchased for her dog but no longer needed, so she gave it to me. On the label it says also applicable for cats, and I called my vet to confirm. There is not too many reviews online and it says online (also by my vet) that there is no side effect. But I want to see if any member here has experience to share :)

My cats don't have dental problem, and I brush their teeth daily. But I only brush the outside, not the inside. So I was hoping this could help cleaning up inside mouth. The instruction on label says place one drop on the cat's tonge half hour after feeding, once per day for maintainance. I wonder how does it work, if it's on the tonge, not the teeth?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I sort of have experience. I bought a bottle several years ago, but never used it. You "simply" have to spray the Leba III in their mouth. Note I put "simply" in quotation marks. No way, no how were either of the girls going to let me spray something in their mouths. I had two choices: (1) Follow them around 24-7 with Leba III at the ready and wait for them to yawn, or (2) Give up. I opted for #2!

On the plus side, several years ago, before buying it, I did speak to the people at the University who had conducted the clinical trials on the product (I believe it was the University of Guelph). They spoke very highly of the product (they don't profit from it, so they have nothing to gain by promoting the product).

As for how it works...the substance mixes with the cat's saliva. For that reason, you have to ensure the cat doesn't eat anything for about 20 minutes after you spray (at least I think it was 20 minutes, but it should say on the bottle). You also have to ensure, or do your best to ensure, that the cat doesn't groom in that 20-minute period. Had I been able to get my two little divas to open their mouths, I was planning to have a little 20-minute play session right after spraying, which would have deterred them from eating or grooming.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Susan!

Last night after reading your reply, I tried to "simply" spray in my cats mouth. Oh my! What a fight we had! My Metoo is usually the easy-going girl who will let me do anything to her, yet she struggled quite hard when I pried open her mouth. Meatball was even worse. She acted as if I was going to spray lethal dose into her mouth. Eventually I got it done (with lots of chasing/hiding, brute force/yowling involved). I'm surprised that no blood drew (good girls!). And they didn't groom themselves afterward. I guess they were exhausted (me too) after the fight. But I don't know if I would have the courage to go through this ordeal again tonight...

On the bottle it says alternatively I can put a drop on their tongs using an eye-dropper. I gonna give it a try. Hopefully sticking an eye-dropper in their mouth would be easier...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I need to give you much applause for your patience and for trying. Anytime you stick something in a cat's/dog's mouth, they take it as playtime or the devil. (at least mine do.)

I do brush Rocky the dog's teeth and I have brought something similar. Not a spray but a gel that you rub on. I'm not sure how effective it is as it's a bit of a hassle to make sure he doesn't eat or drink water 30 mins afterwards.

I've also tried to brush Miu's teeth but she gets distracted very easily. Will only let me brush for about a min, then loses interest and walks away. She does like to watch Rocky getting his teeth done so there's still hope. I leave my skittish Cap'n Jack alone as it's impossible to get anything in his mouth.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Good for you, managing to "simply" spray! Perhaps the eye-dropper will be easier. It's a shame the Leba III can't be sprayed on treats and then have the cat eat the treats. That's about the only way I'd get it in my girls' mouths. Let us know how the eye-dropper works!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what? Last night I managed to spray their mouth without too much fight! :D

I pick the time when they were soundly asleep on the cat tree. There were a bit struggle when I pried open their mouth, but before they realized what really happened, it's all done. LOL I'm getting good at it :D

However, they do stared at me for a good few minutes afterward, as if accusing me for my "betrayal". I hope this won't damage our relationship...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts