Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Rats make great pets. I've had many through out the years and one has never once bitten me. They are so cuddly too. They'll fall asleep right in your arms and they love spending time just sitting up on your shoulder while you walk around the house. Kate, that cage looks big enough but the only thing I can see that might be a draw back it the wire flooring on all levels. They can get sore on their feet after awhile unless you get something to lie on the floor for them to stand on. I'm glad your getting two rats. They are very social animals and need companionship.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I saw the wiring on the floor as a problem too so on the floor I'm going to have a folded up bath towel so that shouldn't be a problem but I'll think of something to put on the ledges. Cardboard maybe. I went to the local pet store today and they have no rats right now. So I bought a ping pong ball for the rats to play with instead hehehe

·
Registered
761 Posts
You'll have to change the cardboard or whatever you plan to put on the bottom of the change quite often but other than that the cage looks great. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me or any of the other rat owners and let us know when you bring home you little guys :D .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! And how big do rats get about, just so I'm prepared, hehe. The sign at the pet store said 8 inches for the common rat. (Which is what I would get). Is that about right?
If anyone has ideas of what I can put on the ledges, that would be great, thanks. I wonder if tile would work or something. I don't want it to be slippery, that's my only concern.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Are you getting females or males? Their sizes can be quite different. A male rat is usually around 30cm and female 20cm from nose to tail tip. But they can be bigger or smaller depending on the litter, but with the cage you shown there should be no problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm planning on getting 2 females. Thanks for the link to the rat forum, I'm going to join in just a second.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My friend frequents a canadian rat forum and has enjoys it. they actually meet once a year (locally).

http://petratscanada.com/forum/

I know we're not supposed to "advertise" sites on here, but they're non-cat.

From my knowledge they're very loving and clean (well - except for their waste), but you have to clean their cages once a week or so. But they're very interesting to watch. My friend lets them out of the cage all the time.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Kate said:
I went to the local pet store today and they have no rats right now. So I bought a ping pong ball for the rats to play with instead hehehe
Hehehe, you seem to have a habit of not getting a pet but getting toys for the "future pet" instead hehehehe. -smile-

tanyuh

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's best to get rats from an actually breeder, or someone who's selling babies.... You've heard of the cat pet store horror stories - well for rats it's even worse. You should take a look at a forum beforehand to be sure, instead of jumping in cause you'll get a healthier, friendlier rat that way. Actual rat breeds vary like cats, and some are very smart and docile.

It's like they take half of them, and sell them for cheap as food for snakes, and the rest for more as pets.

If you do plan on getting one from a pet store, rescue some food rats.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I won't be getting them for a couple weeks. I'm going on vacation Monday and I'll be back August 9. I'm looking around for breeders in my area but otherwise I was going to go to a very nice pet store by my house, stick my hand in the rat tank, and see if the rats were friendly. I've done enough research and seen enough pictures to know what a healthy rat looks like, and signs of illness.
tanyuh, I know what you mean! With the toy mouse I got (which I gave to a neighbors cat who has no toys!!) Deep down I knew I would never get the kitty though....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts