Cat Forum banner

Anyone lock their cat out of the room due to lack of sleep?

43K views 42 replies 36 participants last post by  Celeste_Eden 
#1 ·
whenever i go to sleep, my kitten insists on always going under my blanket and leaning her body against my waist... at first it's sort of nice and all but i get stiff and get woken up every so often during the night!

i really have no choice tho because i have to go to work early in the morn :(

#27 ·
My room IS my cats room. Ever since i brought Wednesday home, she's stayed in my room. She goes everywhere now, but my room is sanctuary. When i first got her, she was a ittle baby, she'd sleep next to my head, kneeding it with her claws.. It was cute and felt kinda nice.. (sept when she'd hit a sensative area and dig in..).. then (during the winter) i'd wake up with her belly on my head, and a mouth full of fur.. i found it cute.. and a little later on in the night, she'd bat my head to wake me up so i could make a tent with my legs and let her sleep under the blankets without the blankets touching her. (she didnt like being covered with a blanket, but liked the warmth).. eventually she started just sleeping at the bottom of the bed, and now she just sleeps anywhere she wants to.. normally not on my bed cause its too small and i'd kick her off without realizing it.. She likes to sleep on my desk now and cuddle with my clothes that are thrown everywhere.. but i dont mind as long as she's comfy..

#28 ·
o.. forgot to mention the times where she'd run full speed into our room, jump onto the bed with her toys and kill them by flipping herself all over my legs.. then tear down the hall way, stop and come back to do the same thing in the middle of the night.. I tried to lock her out once and she sat at the door crying.. I felt bad so i let her back in.

#29 ·
That's EXACTLY how Addison used to be! He'd sleep on my head, paw at my face, anything to be touching me. He eventually got over it... and I miss it :(

He still runs around at full speed early in the morning and drives everyone crazy. Most days I can sleep through it, but every now and then it wakes me up.

#30 ·
new cat owner and stressed...please help

I just adopted a stray cat that had been living in my backyard for over a year. No one ever claimed it and it started trusting me about 4 months ago. I've taken it for it's shots and got it a bath. Sam, the cat, did very well at the vet and groomers. i would let him in during the day and he would want to go back out at night. i just moved into a new apt. and took Sam with me. i would rather he not be an outside cat now. well, he sleeps all day and runs amuck all night. i even gave in and let him outside...well, that lasted a whole 5 minutes and he came back scratching at the door. he goes outside for a few moments and hauls his butt back inside ina flash. he's constantly scratching at the walls in litter box (it's an enclosed litter box), pouncing on and off the bed, scratching everything but his scratching post, walking in the blinds rather than sitting on his bench next to the window. i'am a little nutty b/c i've had very sleep over the last week since we moved. if i lock him in or out, he just meows at me and scratches the door. as you see by my ramblings, my brain isn't functioning too well...did i mention i've had sleep deprivation!! 8O

what do i do?

#31 ·
Hi Kibster,
glad to see you have joined the discussions!
It would be best if your kitty were indoors only - there are too many dangers outdoors.
First off - in order to find out why he wants get ouside so often - is he neutered? How old is he?
If he isn't then you have got your answer -
The best thing would be to take him to the vet and have him alterred
Of course he will continue to want and go outside. This is where your interventions are vital. You must provide him with regular sessions of play - not with your hands but with little balls, strings, etc things for him to chase. Window seats or a safe place where he could watch the outdoors from a glass door or window will be perfect. There are also cat videos available that will be part or the "program" you will have to lay out for him in order to keep him busy. It is a matter of getting him used to the pattern of a scheduale. Playing with him before bed time is a must - you will get some needed rest.
Have confidene - it will work out. Make sure you ask all the questions you need answers for - best of luck and post some pictures for us!

#32 ·
Cats sleep at night? LOL
I have one that is up all night and runs across us a couple times to get to the window near the bed. He is so cute and we love him like crazy so he gets away with it all.......... :lol:
We should probably lock him out of the room, but then the dog would be stuck in the bedroom also and she likes to move around to different rooms.
Our animals are our kids so we just except it all like any good parent. :?

#33 ·
New BEd

Well, I finally got a new bed delivered, which is now a queen size instead of a twin size. This means more space on the bed, and also that the bed is much quieter (the twin was a high-riser which squeeked a lot. now i actually have a normal boxspring).

Anyways, my sister and her husband slept over, and they aren't big cat people, so I had to keep Kiera locked IN my room on Saturday night! My boyfriend was over, so we were exhausted (had just come from a free New York Philharmonic concert in the local state park) and wanted to go to sleep. Kiera proceeded to try to head-butt her way out of the room, and when she realized that was futile, went after the tissues and would randomly come up onto the bed and sniff our heads.

I even left the door open last night, and i didn't get a great night's sleep, but it wasn't TOO too bad... maybe I have to learn to not shower attention on her if she bugs me when i'm sleeping. When she started to sniff my face and i could hear the purr-motorboat going, I had to start petting her :)

-Heather

#34 ·
I have two cats and my boyfriend insists on them sleeping in the bed, covers and all. I personally think they should sleep at the foot of the bed if anything. I'm 8 months pregnant and a very light sleeper, so I wake up with any kind of playing around they do in our room when its sleepy time. So I sometimes have to lock them outside. Maggie lays on the floor outside the door and sticks her mouth up to the crack and meows as loud as she possibly can. Cujo doesnt really care either way. But I had to start locking the door since Maggie has magically learned how to open it by herself. Smart cookie.

#35 ·
Pfeffa sleeps beside me for at least portions of the night every night. I don't mind, mostly, except she tends to stand on the arm I have curved up under the pillow (ouch) then falls sideways into my face.

Also, because she's been doing this for years, I tend to move over for her, so I'm often in the middle of the bed, with the husband complaining about how little room he has on one side, and Pfeffa stretched out happy as can be on the other.

Hobochangba is NOT allowed yet in the bedroom at night - he likes to rip up the fabric on the box spring at 4:30am.

#38 ·
shantor said:
o.. forgot to mention the times where she'd run full speed into our room, jump onto the bed with her toys and kill them by flipping herself all over my legs.. then tear down the hall way, stop and come back to do the same thing in the middle of the night.. I tried to lock her out once and she sat at the door crying.. I felt bad so i let her back in.
THIS is just like KILALA. He just run back and forth with all his toys dropping them on my face and diving under my covers.

He sleeps with me everynight though because my parents can't stand his night time behaviour. I don't mind usually he's very good I'll go to sleep with him sitting quietly on the floor in a pile of clothes and then I'll wake a lil bit when he climbs to his spot on my bed (on top the pillow above my head). He'll nudge me to hold his paw and then we sleep peacefully untikl about 6am when he starts whapping me and licking my face to wake up for his food.

When I sleep at my boyfriends he is suprisingly very good My mom says go to bed and puts him in this basket that she made for him with lil pillows and blankets and he'll stay there and just lie down and sleep no problems and he doesn't cry about being locked in either.

#39 ·
sleep?

sleep? what's that? I have 2 cats that decide it's playtime when we go to bed - my little cat is deaf and she goes into the master bathroom and knocks things in the sink to wake us up because she is thirsty. I love her to death though and don't really get mad but I don't get sleep either. We tried keeping them both out of our room at night by closing the door and they would slam their bodies into the door to try to open it.

#43 ·
i've always locked my cats out of my room. i cannot sleep with even stuffed animals in my bed, let alone live ones. now that i don't have a sepperate bedroom, it doesn't really bother me. squee sometimes sleeps with us, sometimes not, depends, but i sleep like a rock, so once i'm out, he doesn't bother me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.