Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this article after surfing some of my favorite blogs.

Anthrax? Hello? Anybody Home? Hello?

Here we are, it's 2006. Anybody remember the Anthrax scare?

Ahhh c'mon, you remember don't you? It was that freaky time in your life when you weren't sure whether the world was about to suddenly come to an end. Remember the days soon after 9/11, when anthrax started appearing everywhere? Do you remember how gas masks were selling on Ebay for hundreds of dollars? Do you remember how you feared for your family's life as your television sold you a bill of goods about these Anthrax letters, reportedly sent by Arabs?

Do you remember how Anthrax was on television, in magazines, in newspapers; seemingly downloaded into your brain at almost every moment of your waking day-- for months? According to a LexisNexis search conducted by TomDispatch.com, "between Oct. 4 and Dec. 4, 2001, 389 stories appeared in the New York Times with "anthrax" in the headline." During the same period, 238 "anthrax" stories appeared in the Washington Post. Think about that for a second. Now consider the noise made by all the other media outlets. Now add all that noise together. That's a lot of noise.

These days though, the silence is deafening.

Read on: http://bulldogpolitics.blogspot.com/200 ... hello.html

Funny, I was just thinking about this too, hmmmm.

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
Yeah, I remember the anthrax scare. I remember it was mostly noise and very little anthrax. And what anthrax there was, had nothing to do with terrorists.

Now, I'm worried about the bird flu. 8O

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
How about Y2K? My family was very well stocked :D

I remembered after 9/11 I thought Americans would think the communists did it. I hid in my room and did not watch TV. I was afraid for quite a while :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I remember it well. I also remember that it was a lot of noise. I remember being able to turn on the news at 6am and again at 6pm and again at 10 pm to hear about the "4 new cases" only to find out they were still talking about the "4 new cases" from the day before.......
I wasn't too worried.
I wasn't worried about Y2K
I wasn't worried about SARS
I wasn't worried about West Nile
I'm not worried about Bird Flu either.
I'm more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on my way home from work than any of that stuff.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
jennifer2 said:
I remember it well. I also remember that it was a lot of noise. I remember being able to turn on the news at 6am and again at 6pm and again at 10 pm to hear about the "4 new cases" only to find out they were still talking about the "4 new cases" from the day before.......
I wasn't too worried.
I wasn't worried about Y2K
I wasn't worried about SARS
I wasn't worried about West Nile
I'm not worried about Bird Flu either.
I'm more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on my way home from work than any of that stuff.
Agreed. :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yes I remember the Anthrax scare. My boss brought everyone into the conference room to discuss any fears that anyone may have in opening their mail :roll: Oh Please. I think they closed a Post Office in Trenton, NJ to scour the place for Anthrax, probably some disgruntled employee.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
agreed with jennifer. Good article judy! Thanks. It's all about instilling fear. The government just wants to keep people in constant fear. That is why on the news you always see "breaking news" or "news alert" scrolling/flashing along the bottom of the screen ....before when you used to see this it was actually something important. Now they put that up for just about anything.

I wouldn't put anything past this administration.

Actually here in burlington the hash house harriers (that drinking/running society) got in trouble for using flour to make their trails around town. People had called into local authorities saying there was anthrax on the road. :roll:

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
Well, I agree with you Kris, but I think you're mixing together two separate things. All the hype on the news....that's due to the media, not the government. The media lives on advertising, and they can't sell advertising if there aren't any viewers. So to get and keep viewers they have to hype the news and get us to be glued to the tube because if we think we're in constant danger we need to keep watching the news for the next threat (and watching the commercials in between "breaking stories")

Yes, the government does want to keep people in constant fear, because if they're afraid, then they need the government to protect them, which keeps the government in business and all the bureaucrats employed and the politicians elected.

Two separate issues, but agreed on both. :wink:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I think it's the media trying to get ratings.
Because trust me, I don't think it can be worse anywhere than it is here! Anytime there is a big story our news channels have just got to find that New Mexico connection!
Anthrax scare. Well someone's 3rd cousin by marriage who once bought a dog from a breeder who once met the guy who used to work at a place where the anthrax was, well he lives in Albuquerque and we're going to interview him at 10 :roll:

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Well, media is way hyped everywhere...even in Taiwan.

I once read some news stories about "exploding sinks". Supposedly the media claimed that people were putting dynamite in sinks and they were remotely detonated. Turns out in Taiwan sinks are placed right beside showers without a stand (the sinks were glued to the walls) and it just happened those people were leaning on the sinks when they get out of the showers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts