Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, have you noticed in the last few months that the consistency looks different?

My cat's having a health something-or-other this weekend* and I can't help thinking something's wrong with her food and I'm poisoning her, which is probably a huge over-reaction on my part. She's been on the new-looking food for a little over a week.

*throwing up clear liquid and hair, making me think hairballs; frequent licking of her behind and floor scooting, making me think anal glands; change in litter box consistency (still stuff there, just split into smaller amounts), making me think constipation or urinary problems. Is there something I don't know about that would tie all that together? She's not lethargic and she's still eating, so I'm trying to wait until her vet appointment tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If so, have you noticed in the last few months that the consistency looks different?
I haven't ordered any EVO for a number of months, but I'm getting ready to place an order for several cases. Now you have me wondering, though, about a fomula change. I think I'll give the company a call before I place an order and ask if they've changed the recipes over the last year.

That said, your cat's symptoms all sound like they are hairball-related to me, which is consistent with the shedding that happens at this time of year. Hairballs can be vomited up, pooped out, or stuck somewhere in between, which can explain all of your cat's current symptoms.

Laurie

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I feed EVO to my girls, now and again (perhaps once a week or so), and I haven't noticed any difference in consistency over the past few months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks. :) That makes me feel better. I figured my fears were probably crazy, but I also knew there was some concern about P&G buying Evo. Laurie, please let us know what you find out about the formula. I'm very curious to know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I also feed it to my Fab Four. No ill effects. To the contrary, they are doing well on it. I just bought another case last week, but haven't started using it yet, I'm still on what I bought a month ago, but that has been fine. I use the basic kitten & cat large cans, by the way (12.5 or 13 ounces)--the size cans or the specific flavor could make a difference. I have noticed differences, for instance, between the Wellness 5.5 ounce chicken and the larger can, the smaller size usually being more moist and fresh looking.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I read somewhere that P&G was not planning to change the formula for EVO, since they invested in the brand precisely because it has such a following already. The pet store where I buy it told me that it normally takes a year or so for a company to roll out a new formula - and that they had not heard anything about planned changes.

Now, we also feed By Nature's organic line, and they did change their formula and their label within the last year :(. Gracie still likes it, but the texture is more jelly-like and less firm...oh well.

Fran

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I read somewhere that P&G was not planning to change the formula for EVO, since they invested in the brand precisely because it has such a following already.
I read something similar. Their purpose for buying it was to branch out into the 'natural' pet food market and that they were leaving it alone. I am not going to take him off it yet since he's doing so well (and with MowMOw's stomach I try very hard not to rock the boat) but I'll keep an eye on the labeling to see if I notice any changes.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
I know someone who recently spoke to a Natura rep and they said there have not been any formula changes since P&G took them over and there are no plans to make any changes at this time.

·
Registered
249 Posts
my cat , rocky, has been introduced to canned food the last week...he will eat evo chicken , but he likes merrick california roll a lot better...merrick looks like real food, instead of the processed looked

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also feed it to my Fab Four. No ill effects. To the contrary, they are doing well on it. I just bought another case last week, but haven't started using it yet, I'm still on what I bought a month ago, but that has been fine. I use the basic kitten & cat large cans, by the way (12.5 or 13 ounces)--the size cans or the specific flavor could make a difference. I have noticed differences, for instance, between the Wellness 5.5 ounce chicken and the larger can, the smaller size usually being more moist and fresh looking.
Good point. The stuff I bought was the 95% beef, 13.5 oz cans. Ginger won't eat anything else (as I just discovered by having to force feed her a highly recommended "tasty" hairball remedy...sigh).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts