Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just read the thread about rabbit and Hare Today below, from OwnedByACat.

That got me curious, whether anyone tried the rabbit from WholeFoods4Pets, how the quality is like, and how the customer service is like?

I see they also sell whole skinned (or skin on) rabbits as well. My cats are mainly on ground raw. I sometimes give them chicken necks, but one of my cats cannot chew them very well, and the other one gets diarrhea afterwards. On top of it, I am so engrained with the notion that bones=evil, so I cannot help cringing as my cats chewing on the bones.
How big are the rabbit bones compared to checken neck/wing/legs?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I can't answer how big they are in comparison to chicken necks/wings/legs, except to say that it will depend on the type of rabbit that was used. Most commercial processors will use what we call "meat rabbits", and they were raised to be more meaty, compared to bone size, so they will have more meat, with less/smaller bones.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ritz loves commercial raw rabbit. So I bought some frozen rabbit (no head, no innards) at the local international grocery store.
She has no problem eating rabbit bone (or quail); she has problems eating chicken necks/wings unless I smash it to death.
Note, however, that rabbit is a very lean meat (at least the kind you buy in the grocery store) and does not have a lot of taurine. So rabbit should be part of a rotation diet, not fed exclusively.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, Wholefoods4pets sells small rabbits skin on. I dont know how it will look like, just bit scared if I have to remove skin for my cats... I was looking for food source that does not involve skinning the meat myself...
I guess I will start with small birds as a chunk meat meal.

As for my cat's diarrhea, I think my cat is in general not good on chicken, based on my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts