Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[No, not Hades, but the board's censor routines won't let me put the show's real name in the thread title.]

Interesting show. A wide range of breeds, along with behavioral, situational, and environmental problems. I sometimes think there is more going on "behind the scenes" than we are privy to, as the transformations are sometimes dramatic (also, as with any other reality TV series, we never get to see the failures, just the success stories.)

I do occasionally think that some of the pet owners featured have no business owning pets.

Still, as one with 5 cats in the house, of varying ages, genders, and temperments, it's an interesting viewing experience that occasionally shows past feline behaviors, situations, or incidents I can identify with.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Yes, I try to catch it each week. I have to keep the sound down low so my cats
don't freak out over the screaming cats on the show. :)

Some of the people on this show really touch my heart with how much they love
their fur babies but others just make me wonder why they ever brought
a cat home at all!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes, I've seen all the shows since it started. It is amazing how Jackson Galaxy works with these felines. Since he endorses the Spirit Essences line (calming aids for cats), I would imagine this helps the cats progress with their behavior issues. I don't remember ever hearing him talk about this product on the show though. However, if you go to his website, it is there.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Ive been trying to catch it online. Animal Planet has attempted so many cats shows that were lame. This one is very interesting. I like him because he is coming from a rescue perspective a lot of times. Its not like listening to someone from Cat Fancy magazine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ive been trying to catch it online. Animal Planet has attempted so many cats shows that were lame. This one is very interesting. I like him because he is coming from a rescue perspective a lot of times. Its not like listening to someone from Cat Fancy magazine.
I love this show, and I especially appreciate this refreshing support of rescue, spay/neuter, TNR, etc. I agree that some of the people frustrate me. But there are also a lot of people who really are trying to do the right thing and just need a little help.

I follow Jackson on Facebook and he has some really helpful advice and goes into more detail than on the shows.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Hubby and I watch it every weekend and love it.

Btw, Jackson not only endorses Spirit Essscences he is the Owner and president. He co-founded Little Big Cat so he truly knows what he is talking about!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
They showed TNR on the last episode. But it was a bit deceptive. Like what he did is all TNR is about. Just putting out a trap and waiting. Then it showed him driving away with the trapped cat in the front seat of his car!!

I put down water proof bags in the back of my suv to transport cats. Then it didn't show him returning it, neutered and vaccinated and back to its area. I wish they had made that a little more clear.

One of the problems we face doing TNR is people who want us to remove cats from their area. They treat us like were animal control and when they cant get us to do what they want in removing the cat it gets ugly They don't want to help us support a colony and feed them and make sure they are safe & healthy.

Otherwise I really like his show.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In all fairness, TNR is not the focus of this show. There's only so many minutes of programming in a 30-minute episode once you subtract the commercials, and to devote airtime to what is in actuality a peripheral aspect of the topic at hand just isn't realistic.

I don't know that ANY treatment of the issue within the constraints of this show would serve it as well as you'd like. At least he mentions it.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Yes, I've watched it and most of advice is spot one....tho I find it amusing that every episode he says....."this is the worst case I've seen." C'mon Jackson, not the worst case every time...seen some worse than what is portrayed. Yes, I agree I'm sure they don't tell all the stories...just the success stories and not the failures.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hubby and I watch it every weekend and love it.

Btw, Jackson not only endorses Spirit Essscences he is the Owner and president. He co-founded Little Big Cat so he truly knows what he is talking about!

I wonder why he never mentions it on the show. I would think if he is the owner and president of the company for this product, he would. Especially if it can help an aggressive cat calm down. I wonder if he uses the products on these cats and then has people thinking it was all due to his behavior training methods. Just a thought. Either way, I still love this show!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
In all fairness, TNR is not the focus of this show. There's only so many minutes of programming in a 30-minute episode once you subtract the commercials, and to devote airtime to what is in actuality a peripheral aspect of the topic at hand just isn't realistic.

I don't know that ANY treatment of the issue within the constraints of this show would serve it as well as you'd like. At least he mentions it.
I agree it was not the focus of the show. I'm not saying I wanted him to devote a whole lot of time to TNR. Just mention in a couple sentences that cats are s/n and RETURNED to the area. That is all I would of liked. It made me cringe when he drove off into the night and that was it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
M&T, I saw this on his website today, after watching that episode - I guess the cat he cat actually belonged to someone!

As for the Trap-Neuter-Return piece of the Finn episode (season 3, episode 4), we did go out by her house and we did trap a cat.
It didn’t seem feral, that’s why we call them community cats, because whether they were quote “owned” by somebody, of it they’re free-roaming, they’re still out there and still our responsibility.
As with all of the cats you see on the show, we will send any un-neutered or un-spayed animal to Fix Nation where they graciously fixed every cat that we’ve sent their way, as they have for all of Greater Los Angeles’ strays.
We used the Havahart Trap.
It does highlight the issue that Lara didn’t believe there WAS a cat outside her door.
Not only is there one cat, there’s a whole COMMUNITY of cats out there.
They strive for invisibility.
One piece of the puzzle that we didn’t really talk about was that Lara had at some point, lost a cat to a coyote. In her life and up in the Hollywood Hills, that was a very really possibility of that happening again.
So it was important that we round up these guys out there, as important as it was for us to keep Finn safe and inside.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I wonder why he never mentions it on the show. I would think if he is the owner and president of the company for this product, he would. Especially if it can help an aggressive cat calm down. I wonder if he uses the products on these cats and then has people thinking it was all due to his behavior training methods. Just a thought. Either way, I still love this show!
My guess is that he has a non-endorsement or non-compete policy with Discovery/Animal Planet. He's very careful not to use brand names for the most part, and a lot of shows like that are the same way (the "messy house" shows come to mind - the only products that get mentioned by name are given prominent treatment and usually also have commercials or "Sponsored by..." spots.)

Oh, another one I thought of is the bad dog show on animal planet, can't remember the name. Only Kong toys are used and they always zooooom right in and explain how great they are.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yes, I've watched it and most of advice is spot one....tho I find it amusing that every episode he says....."this is the worst case I've seen." C'mon Jackson, not the worst case every time...seen some worse than what is portrayed. Yes, I agree I'm sure they don't tell all the stories...just the success stories and not the failures.
i've noticed that too. this is just how my sense of humor is, but i'd like to see him walk into a house with psycho cats and psycho owners and say, "this is the part where if i had any hair, i'd pull it out. i absolutely cannot help anyone here," and turn around and walk out LOL. or sometimes when he has people resistant to doing what he says, (why call in the first place if you won't follow his suggestions?) have people not do it and he says, "well i tried," because there are people that just want you to wave a magic wand.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did anyone see the one recently where this one cat had turned really aggressive towards the man of the house. It was a young couple. Basically Jackson had determined that the cat didn't like being cornered and was lashing out each time the guy reached for her.

At this point I turned to my wife and said that at some point he hit that cat. Jackson even said that he felt there was more going on there than what he was being told and he asked the guy if he hit her. Of course he said no.

I'm just wondering if we got the full story there. Did anyone else see that one and think something didn't smell right?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I had the same niggling feeling. That guy has done something to that cat. Like you, when Jackson confronted him I also thought "there is no way in **** he will admit to anything with cameras pointed at him!"

·
Registered
594 Posts
We watch every episode. Seems to us that a lot of the problems are the clueless people. They wonder why kitty is pooping in the sink, while the litterbox hasn't been cleaned for who knows how long. I also wonder if there are fails that they just don't show. And yes, we have to watch the volume too. Those screaming cats make my good girls nervous!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.