Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we got new kittens in addition to the three, one 6 yr old and two 5 mth old cats, of course at first all was tense but all have settled in nicely since. everything seems to be going very well except that the two 5 month old cats keep biting the back of the neck of only one of the new kittens and holding him down. they don't hurt him but they don't let him go until we holler at them. they also don't do it to any of the other cats or kittens. since they aren't hurting him i didn't worry too much about it but just seems weird to me. can anyone tell me why they might be doing this?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Maybe just some rough play is going on......as long as one isn't crying out or hissing meanwhile I'm assuming it's just playing maybe :wink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd say there's 2 likely possibilities.

1. This kitten really likes this kind of play and the older kittens sense that. It may be a non-verbal cue that the kitten gives that says 'nah nah come and get me'. I'd think this is pretty likely.

2. This kitten is kind of a brat and the older kittens feel an extra need to show him his place. This is normal training that an older cat does for younger kittens...dominating them to force compliance and adjust behavior. It isn't hurting the kitten because it's not meant to. There's nothing to worry about if this is the case. They aren't picking on him, they are communicating with him.

Either way I'd just let it go as long as I could stand to without hollering at them if I were you (easier said than done I know!). It's not hurting anything and your stress about it could actually be making it less likely to naturally dissipate.

~Heather

·
Registered
247 Posts
What sexes are these kittens. At 5 months male cats will start displaying.
I would suggest that you get them all fixed ASAP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts