Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had some of the highest utility bills last year when i ran my ac while at work...question......how hot do i dare get my apartment with my cats, before the ac comes on..i am thinking 83 is okay

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
My longhaired cats have survived 99+ in my place. I was the one who was wilting. I think 85-90 would be okay. After all, it's a dry heat, right? :grin:

· Registered
1,144 Posts
We keep the lake house at 80+, with ceiling fans and a box fan. It is amazingly cheap to run them and they really keep the place cooler.
We have several large windows that face south. We have window film on them to block some of the heat without blocking the view. During the day it also prevents people seeing the house, though it is very easy to see inside at night.
Close the drapes or blinds on the south and west of the house.

· Registered
435 Posts
My ac doesn't work well at all, so I set the thermostat around 83 when I'm gone all day. Sometimes it's 85 when I get home. I leave the ceiling fans on 24x7. Ritz has survived two summers. I do have a window unit in the bedroom but she doesn't go in there unless I'm also in there. It's more uncomfortable for us humans than for the cats. DO of course leave out plenty of water. You might want to put some ice cubes in the water, which will melt during the day.

· Registered
8,949 Posts
We had some 100+ days summer before last and i had a floor unit in the bedroom. The door was kept cracked with a doorstop so Mow could get in during the day....when i would get home from work he was NEVER in the cool room. Unless i was in there he chose the heat over the air conditioning.

· Registered
117 Posts
83 is fine!

I don't have a thermostat, just window AC units in the living room and bedroom, so I never know actual temp. I just assume if I can handle the heat, he can. But I can't handle much heat at all.

I only worry about Niles's comfort in the winter. 58ºF is every cat's ideal indoor temp, right?

· Registered
2,674 Posts
I keep my place at 78 while I'm gone during the day.

It gets a little expensive in Florida during the summer because I leave the door to the pool open about 6 inches so the munchkins can go in and out during the day and so they could exit if there were ever a fire.

They have huge carbon pawprints.

· Registered
5,669 Posts
Cats have a higher body temp than we have----100.5-102.5 F (38-39.2 C), so 85F room temp or even higher is comfortable for a cat. Cats slow down and mostly nap when temp gets in 90s especially with high humidity.

· Registered
171 Posts
During the heatwave in early March, my apartment got up to the high 80s (only windows were south facing). My boys just got very inactive with little to no appetite. You could also take a wet washcloth, lay it flat in the freezer and leave it on the tiles in the kitchen or bathroom when you leave for work. Mine tend to lay on the tiles and they'll use this extra cold spot to keep them cool (for a few hours anyway).

· Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Reading this makes me glad I live where I do... sometimes it is kinda lame that our summers don't usually go over 25 degrees (77) - and last year I hardly recall a summer, actually, I wore shorts less than 5 times - but still... whenever 30 degrees hits I don't move off the couch. 30 (86) is like our heatwave, getting to 40 (104) has hardly ever been done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Vancouver#Temperatures - That first chart is the city I live in.

· Registered
6,944 Posts
Isn't it kind of a phallacy that turning the A/C off or the temperature way up during the day will save energy? I've always heard that if it's hot during the day, it'll just make the A/C work that much harder to cool things down again at night, and the energy use will be about the same as if you had just left it on all day. Has anyone else heard that?

· Registered
435 Posts
Yes, I heard the same thing from my father, an electrical engineer and very cost conscious (he grew up during the depression). My ac technician says it is best to adjust upwards the thermostat between 3 to 5 degrees before leaving for the day (in the summer). Otherwise, the ac will be on all night.
I've also heard that it is pointless to leave on ceiling fans in rooms that you (or your cat) are in. But in my case because of the poor design of my ac duct work, I leave them on 24x7 in order to better circulate the air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.