Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two cats and one dog. They all live with me and my boyfriend in our two-story apartment (though, it seems we all live in just one bedroom ever).
I started last year living with a roommate and her cat and with my dog, Zeus, that I acquired from a family who no longer wanted him. My boyfriend lived with his old roommate and the cat, BW, whose story can be found in Cat Tails.
Then my boyfriend and I had our 5 year anniversary. I had no idea what to get him up until I realized that a cat would be perfect for him.
So we went to the shelter and found this tiny black kitten in a cage with a sign hanging on it that said "Beware, do not put fingers in cage." I was perplexed. None of the other cages had this sign. The kitten purred and rubbed up against the bars and let me pet him. I asked if we could take him out of the cage to play.

I snapped this picture of the cat, Little Bear, with my boyfriend holding him. (Apologies, this was taken with my phone)
He was so friendly, playful, and loving, I had to ask on of the assistants why there was a warning sign hanging from his cage. She looked at me, as I was holding this purring kitten, and she said, "because none of us could get close to him without him biting or hissing at us."

He had never seemed aggressive to either of us, so we took it as a sign that he had chosen us as a family to adopt.
We later learned that he had come from a home that had been a severe hoarding situation. There had been more than 30 cats. Little Bear really does show the marks of having been in poor living conditions. He has chronic feline herpes, which affects his respiratory system. He's always producing mucus, which is disgusting because he sneezes it everywhere, but there is really not much we can do for it. He also has a scar on his cornea, probably gotten from another cat in the home. Other than this, he is positively the best cat ever. He is so lovey and really does love his daddy (who insists that he is not his dad, but his mom. Don't ask me why. I have no clue). We still are really the only two people he likes. He's not a fan of strangers, but we've gotten him more socialized so he doesn't act aggressive anymore, just more initially standoffish than usual for a cat. I have no idea what makes us so special to him, but that's how he's been for as long as we've known him. Cats. I mean, really. :roll:

Here are some pictures!

Here you can see the scar on his eye (his left one).

And this is him and his favorite toy, Zeus's tail. Zeus doesn't care, though. He's always too busy with other things.

This summer I decided I wanted a cat for Zeus to play with (Little Bear and his "mom" won't be able to stay with us because "Mom" is graduating college this semester). I decided a Somali would be a great breed because of their laid-back nature and friendly disposition. I contacted many breeders, even those who didn't carry Somalis, but instead bred Abyssinians (which were close enough for my needs, anyway), via e-mail. The first to respond was a Somali breeder in Des Moines. They told me that they had two new litters of ruddy Somali kittens. I asked if they had any full grown cats they were willing to part with. In fact, they did. A two-year-old prize-winning red Somali was being retired from showing and breeding. He was called Van Gogh and was probably the handsomest cat I've ever seen.

This is a picture they included in the e-mail they sent to me. I had, in fact, seen this picture multiple times as I was searching for pictures and info of Somalis (in fact, this is the picture I saw that made me want a red in the first place). This is a picture from 2009, when he won Best Kitten (I think it was for the CFA).
I said he'd be perfect. I hadn't been intending on getting a kitten, anyway.

After waiting all summer to get him (as I said in my Cat Tails post, my mother is NOT a fan of cats. She wouldn't let me bring him home), I brought him home with me to our apartment.
I renamed him Apollo, because he's definitely a sun cat. The pictures I took really don't do him justice. You'll notice his coat is a different color in pretty much every photo, and that's because of the type of fur Somalis have. The follicles have bands of various colors in them. It just depends on how the light hits it. He can look silky and coppery, or he can look bright yellow-orange depending on the light.

He is a fan of every dog bed I own.

Apologies for the glow-eye. The light really wasn't working for me that day.

Apollo is so adorable. He knows who his mommy is. He will jump on the counter, wrap his front legs around my neck, and give me as many hugs and kisses as I can stand. He is always ready to groom my face. I have no idea why. When I lie down he wastes no time. Not even my dog licks my face, but Apollo is just that adorable I don't care if his scratchy tongue hurts a little.

And now for the obligatory cuddle pictures! YAY!

These two are inseparable. They will call out for each other at night when they can't find each other.

Boo. Little Bear your eye ruins every single picture. Nah. This is still the most adorable thing I have seen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's so awesome that Little Bear chose you two! He is a very handsome little guy. I do have to say though, Apollo is definitely beautiful. It's so great that they get along so well.. So cute! I love the last two pictures the most I think :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ugh, wish I could still edit my post. I finally got Apollo to sit still long enough for me to take a decent picture of him.

I just felt this picture does much more justice to his color.

Thanks, shenanigans! These two really have been bread and butter since the first week. It helps that they're both so laid-back. Plus, Little Bear had spent all summer being socialized with a large family of cats.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Such a lovely, heartwarming story. They are both gorgeous, but oh my- look at Apollo's tail! Absolutely stunning!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts