Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly can't believe I waited so long to bother with a spray bottle. He loooooves water, so I always assumed it would do nothing to him.

I love that I was so wrong! It's only day 2 and he's learning quickly. I actually had to get up to bring the spray bottle into my bed with me this AM when Apollo was locked out of my room and he wouldn't stop clawing at the door. He's slowly learning to stop when I yell a NO! at him in the early mornings, but he only walks away for a minute or two then comes back for more.

As he was making his rounds this morning with my floor lamp, the blinds and my boxspring, I would spritz him from under my covers and he's take off, give himself a quick bath and go about his business elsewhere for a couple minutes before coming back for more.

It's so funny, because he knows it's coming when he does something he isn't supposed to, so he's actually sneaking under my bed and tapping the box spring with a paw just enough to where I can hear him, and as soon as he hears me move he will run off. I don't want him to think this is a game, as he clearly is beginning to.

I keep the spray bottle hidden as much as I can, but he has seen it a few times and I've caught him sniffing at it and meowing small insults towards it.

I can't complain too much, as it does seem to be working for the most part. My question is - is there a different way I should handle when I spritz him? I've never had to use a spray bottle with any of my cats in my entire life, so this is new to me.

I make sure to spray at his rump so that it hits the back of his leg or his tail or his back, a little surprise enough for him to jump and be like "whattheheckisthat?!" The first time I did it I kind of fell over laughing because he jumped about a foot into the air and laid down as flat as he could while trying to figure out what just happened.

So is there a trick to make it to where he doesn't think it's a game after awhile?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been using a "rattle can." It's an old container I found and filled with loud racketty things. Coins seem to work well. I keep it beside me on the couch on the end table.

When kitties start causing trouble. I shake said rattle can. They run as fast as they can. If they are really doing something bad and the first shake doesn't stop it, I will actually throw it in their general vicinity. (I do not aim for them. I don't want them to get hurt.) It's pretty effective.

They don't associate the noise with me and I'm not the bad guy. It's a little easier than the water bottle because my aim was never that good and I don't have to hide it at all.

They have never seen it as a game. They are terrified of the noise. They are not terrified of me telling them No! Go figure.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I tried the rattle can and SHep just runs to it to investigate what it is. NO fear whatsoever. I prefer the squirt bottle with him, it totally upsets him and stops his behavior instantly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it just depends on the cat. My first cat, who died at 16, was trained with a water bottle. Subsequent kitties, I found the rattle can worked better for them.

Geez...cats are picky! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts