Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two cats are 15 year old litter sisters, extremely alike in looks, apart from the fact that one has always been a little overweight and the other a little underweight, but both otherwise healthy. I got them 7 years ago from a rescue group, badly suffering from mange and scared of their own shadow. I got the mange sorted fairly quickly, and within a few months, their confidence was heaps better. They enjoy life now, and have their own set of routines which they like to follow, but still have that curiosity to explore. In the last couple of months however, the underweight one's appetite has increased a bit, and I can see she's also put some weight on. In every other aspect though, it's business as usual. I'm not unduly concerned as such, I'm just curious why the change in appetite after all this time?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
When was the last time she had a vet checkup and had bloodwork done? At 15 yrs. it should be done as that is often the time that changes happen....could be her thyroid levels have changed.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I agree with catloverami. At 15 yrs old, both of your girls should have full blood chemistry and Total T4 tests run to check overall health and thyroid function. Hyperthyroidism is a fairly common illness in elderly cats and can trigger increased appetite, though it typically also involves weight loss rather than gain. Diabetes, on the other hand, can trigger increased appetite and weight gain. In any event, the recommended blood tests will help identify these and other potential health issues.

Laurie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this. I Googled thyroid problems but other than the increase in appetite she doesn't seem to have any of the other symptoms. However, your responses have given me sufficient concern that I've scheduled a trip to the vet this coming week, just in case. On a side note, this will give the vet I use, a chance to make sure his leather gloves, leather apron and hockey mask are in good working order. She's normally a very friendly cat, but she hates that man with a passion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts