Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a cat who goes through cycles of eating?

Skylar has never been the best eater. I don't think twice if she skips a meal or two. Its not like she's "picky" as there isn't really any particular food she always refuses.

Last time I brought her in she had lost 1.5lbs. She's not a big cat. I had her weight as 8lb and she was down to 6.5lb. I'm not 100% that was a correct weight though... but I brought her and Carson on the same night and am pretty sure they both weighed the same amount.

I did notice she was looking thinner, but she does that. She's never been fat, but she does thicken up and thin out depending on how much she's been eating.

She goes extreme in the other direction too though... a few weeks ago and then again this week she's been eating like crazy. Not only ready and excited at meal time, but bugging me for my food, which she doesn't normally do. There were times she was crawling all over me when I was trying to eat!

I was planning to take her back in to work to recheck her weight this coming week, so I expect her to stop eating any time now...

Its almost gotten to the point that I get so happy when she does eat well that I feed her as much as she wants. A few times this week I've given her a full meal in the middle of the day just because she wants it. Of course I'll go back to worrying again in a few days when she starts turning her nose up to everything.

Is she just weird?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Jesse,

Lucy used to be like this all the time! Drove me nuts! She wouldn't refuse anything I'd give her, but after eating it a bit, she'd get bored, or it didn't agree with her anymore, and I could barely get her to eat, sometimes she wouldn't come at all for meal time. Since switching her to raw, she eats everything I give her, and comes for every meal. She loves it, and eats so much better.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have this issue with my cats, who are actually already raw-fed. Apollo more than Athena. Sometimes they'll be ravenous, other times they'll just kind of poke at their food like "What, that's it?" And nibble here and there but leave a bunch to spoil.

I can't figure out if there's any pattern here, as it doesn't seem specific to certain flavors. I thought maybe I'm feeding them too much, as they're getting closer to a year now, and were getting 6 oz of raw each a day. I've tried cutting it down to 5 to see how that goes.

It's very baffling, I'd love some input as well.

I haven't noticed much in the way of weight fluctuation with my cats though.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Have you had Skylar's thyroid levels checked within the last few months? If not, I'd recommend doing so ASAP. Hyperthyroidism typically manifests as ravenous appetite coupled with weight loss, but it can involve inappetance, instead, in some cats. It's certainly something worth checking out (hopefully ruling out).

A 1.5 lb weight loss in an 8 lb cat is quite worrisome. I hope you can get to the bottom of it before she loses any more.

Laurie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts