Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you go about doing this? The vet gave me antibiotic ointment for Maleke's left eye.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

Ahhhh please help! I have to do this tonight and I don't want to mess it up! He already discovered his pill in his food tonight and I had to get creative with that.....I want the oitment episode to go smoothly!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I recently had to do this with MAlcolm. I wouls kind of sneak up on him when he was sleeping!!

I was shown to gently pull his lower eyelid downards and to put the ointment in the inside corner of his eye. They blink and it gets in.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It works best to put the cat on their back, pull down on their lower eyelid and apply the ointment right on the eyeball. I have to give Punky eye ointment fairly often, it's really simple.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Maleke:

Depends on your cat. But I've found it easiest to just sneak up on them (not scare them) but act like they have NO idea that you are going to be medicating them. open the eyes with 2 fingers and spread the ointment directly onto the eye ball with your other hand.

Course if you are not confident enough to do this, you can of course put it kind of just on the lower lid and then let them blink. *this from the lady who can't even put eye drops on herself with out taking the woosy way out.* =p

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. My boyfriend holds him and I put the ointment in his eye and this seems to work. Maleke HATES it, but it's for his own good!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like to use a finger to apply it. I get nervous about poking their eye with the metal tip of the tube otherwise (plus it keeps the stuff in the tube more sterile). Needless to say I wash my hands VERY thoroughly before doing this.

It allows me to steady them with one hand, open the eye with fingers on the gooped hand, and quick dab it in there before they know what's going on.

Just a note: some eye ointments actually make the eye look worse after they get it. I'm not sure which kind Maleke's getting, but I thought I'd warn you. My rule of thumb is not to worry about it if the irritation clears up before the next application time arrives...but that's only if it's the kind that actually is supposed to cause irritation!

~Heather

1 - 8 of 8 Posts