Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Razzle loves cat treats more than his wet food. He'd eat the whole package. I'm a softy and i give in. I know they shouldn't have them especially since Razzle and Geets have kidney disease. Razzle is 17 and i belive since he has stage 4 kidney disease that he's entitled to sometihing he really likes. I think his smell sensor is deminishing because sometimes he doesn't smell the treats but he knows what the package looks like.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That's kind of a broad question...I'd say it depends on the specific treats and how many.

Most of the available treats at major pet stores I just don't like to feed because I'm not a fan of the ingredients (corn, soy, other grains, even sugar in some of them!). A few companies (like Wellness) make grain-free treats that I'm comfortable feeding. I actually feed my cats roasted chicken jerky (note: only buy US-made chicken jerky from companies you trust, there've been a lot of recalls lately. I use Kona's Chips) since they prefer something more chewy.

I think a little treat once a day is probably fine, especially if they're good quality treats without questionable ingredients (I do one small piece of jerky for each at lunch) but obviously you don't want to replace meals with treats or overdo it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It depends on the ingredients in them. If your cat has renal dz. it could be very bad if given in any amount. It may be precisely that he has Stage 4 that he shouldn't have them. Call your vet and give them the name and the ingredients. They can tell you straight away if its OK. GL B

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I usually give my cats the Milo's Kitchen Chicken Jerky. It's supposed to be for dogs, but my cats love them and the ingredients are pretty good.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
There have not been any recalls on chicken jerky, however there have been many, many reports of illness and death about product from China that have prompted an FDA investigation and warning to the public. They have not been able to identify anything in the products that could be causing the problem, but still believe there is a problem. They have sent investigators to China (or they're going soon...I don't remember the specific details...only that this is the latest step) to inspect the manufacturing plants.

Of the numerous reports the brands that show up the most are Canyon Creek Ranch/Waggin Train (2 brands made by Nestle) and Milo's Kitchen (DelMonte). I recommend avoiding those brands. Dreamgoil...I'd toss what's left and buy something US made...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Healthy cat treats

Since I posted about my cats eatting, begging, for cat treats, does anyone make their own healthy cat treats.

Kathy

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I would ask your vet since your cats are older and have kidney disease but otherwise I think a few won't hurt them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I give Milky treats that are actually a different flavoured kibble, so he thinks he's getting treats, but he's actually just getting regular food! On the very odd ocassion I will give him dried fish treats, but only 1-2 pieces which I think is enough. I sound so stingy but I think it's better for his health if he doesn't have other snacks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
cat treats

Hi,

I have 8 cats, and I never fed them any cat treats bought from the store.

The favorite cat treat they get is chicken and turkey hearts that I get from the butcher.
I make sure they come from free range organic fed animals, cut in very thin slices.
They really enjoy it. I feed them these treats twice a week, usually after I come back from a day I worked outside the house (as I usually work from home), so they know that if I was gone for a long time, there is a treat at the end of the day.
As for the portion size, well they get about 25 grams each.

The reason I do not feed them store bought treats is that I am not sure what they contain. So I rather play it safe!

Hope this helps!

sandyrivers

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Your question prompted me to look up the ingredients of Natural Balance treats, which are in the rotation of treats we give Murphy. The chicken treats were listed as:

Chicken, Rice Flour, Barley Flour, Whole Ground Potato, Maple Syrup, Chicken Meal, Tapioca Starch, Glycerine, Cane Molasses, Natural Flavor, Cultured Whey, Brewer's Yeast, Canola Oil, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract.

In each of their flavors (rabbit, chicken, and salmon), the meat is listed as the first ingredient. I would guess that's pretty good for treats, wouldn't you say (Lisa???).

·
Banned
603 Posts
I personally do not give Mia any treats. I had a cat in the past that would hold out for treats so I'm trying to make sure Mia eats her meals.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
With Murphy it's never been a question of the treat preventing him from eating his regular food. To the contrary, he won't eat his regular food without getting a treat first. It's like he considers it an appetizer and won't eat without it. Another case of very fine manipulation on his part.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
In each of their flavors (rabbit, chicken, and salmon), the meat is listed as the first ingredient. I would guess that's pretty good for treats, wouldn't you say (Lisa???).
While the NB treats have a lot of stuff in them that wouldn't be considered natural for a cat...I always try to remember that treats are exactly that. So it doesn't matter so much what's in them as long as it's high quality, human grade ingredients and not utter crap. So yes, NB treats are good. Are they as good as plain old dehydrated chicken? No...but I'd rather have a chocolate bar than a piece of chicken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts