Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people are forcing their cats to eat can food when the cat would rather have dry? In spite of what so many people think, dry food is not poison. I've proven that by having healthy, energetic beautiful seniors who have eaten dry and wet all of their lives. Of course their food is premium in quality and not cat chow or science diet. Those people who are forcing can food on their cat. how much of the time is your cat begging to be fed? My cats, even though I leave the dry food down all the time, only eat in the morning, the afternoon and then at night, that's it. Because it is premium food it fills them and they are satisfied longer. I tried feeding mine just premium can food and they beg constantly for food.

Is it worth it for your pet to be hungry and unhappy all the time, instead of content? I have cats because I want them to live happy, healthy lives. I don't want them to live to make me feel good. I want them to feel good and be happy. Maybe my cats won't live to be 25, but so what. I have an aunt who is 96 and in good health. For living all those years, she's now alone becaues all of her friends are dead. She can't go anywhere because she's too frail. The only company she has is when people go to visit. I might be in the minority, but I don't want to live that long and live that kind of life. Is living forever the best thing? I tend not to think so. I'd rather see my cats happy and healthy for a minimum of 15 years and know they lived a life they enjoyed and weren't forced to eat food and live a life that kept them always begging for food they couldn't have. I just think that's kind of sad.

I think my feelings toward my animals are due to the fact that as a child I was hungry and didn't always have food. Also, the cats I have were rescued from abuse and/or abandoned and my goal is to give them a life that means a full belly, excellent health care, everything they need when they need it and lots of love. I know that the 15 or more years they have with me are 15 wonderful years that they wouldn't have had if left on the street.

Please, no one take this personal. This is just how I feel about my cats and their happiness. If I hadn't proven for myself that premium dry food along with wet food is not bad, I would never feed them both. I'm glad that I know they can be healthy and happy and live into their teens, eating food they love.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hmm, I don't think I agree with this at all.
Think about it, how many ferals (that had not been getting fed by anyone) would turn their noses up a mouse or bird if they suddenly found themselves in front of a bowl of dry food at the same time. My guess would be that they'd not choose the dry food.

I think a lot of it has to do with habit. If you suddenly start trying to feed an 10 year old cat wet food after years of dry, I'd expect that you'd get that type of reaction. However, once they get used to wet food, I find they prefer it. Although, there are those few that are near impossible to switch to a canned diet and in that case, I think you should feed your cat whatever you can get it to eat. I hated my diet at first too! I thought I hated healthy foods and that I'd much rather eat potato chips and ice cream, but now I find that I'm rather satisfied with my healthy options and I feel SO MUCH BETTER!

There are many cats that live to be in their teens on a dry food diet, but that does not prove that canned food is not better for them.

Edit: Just wanted to also add that my son begs me daily for McDonald's too (drive by it everyday on the way home), but I don't feel like I'm doing him a disservice by not giving it to him.

Maybe my cats won't live to be 25, but so what.
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but I'm thinking you probably didn't mean it the way it came out. If you could prolong the lives of your cats, provided they were healthy, you wouldn't want to do it?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not all cats starve to death on wet diets? I have found with my cat - after putting his dry away for a little while - that after eating wet he is much more satisfied (and this is a kitten eatting machine here). I only have to feed him twice (just a 3 oz can a day!) and he turns his nose up at his dry food for the rest!

Yes - I would say that I would like my cat to be happy for as long as he lives - but I don't think giving him a diet of canned is going to lessen the quality of their lives - in fact - when they get older - it might improve their lives and health.

Now I don't feed my cat all wet since I can't afford to - heck - I can't afford to feed 1/2 wet... but I try to give him it every so often - and his digestion does worlds better. I can't wait to switch to Wellness dry.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
My cats beg for food every time that I go in the kitchen 8O . Mom, are you opening that can, MOM!!! We're HUNGRY!!!

They do beg less than they did when I fed them dry food. That doesn't mean that dry is better, rather it means they are more satisfied by the wet food (it holds their hunger back longer).

Feeding them dry isn't an option because all three were obese on dry food. They've lost 14 lbs between the three of them. I agree with AddFran - just because you 'like' McDonald's, doesn't mean that you should eat it day in and day out. Sure, dry food as a treat or small part of the diet is fine, but not 100% dry.

My cats' health have improved dramatically since switching them over to canned. They've lost weight, their stools are less smelly and are smaller and thier coats are dandruff-free and shiny.

Frankly, lotocats, I'm not sure why the wet food diet makes you so angry. We are all here to share information, and I don't understand why this particular topic is so offensive to you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My point

The point I'm trying to make is I hear people saying they are "making" their cats eat nothing but can when in fact the cat prefers dry. This seems a little over the top for me. Seems a little cruel to "force" an animal to eat something it doesn't like when there are alternatives that would work well. No AddFran, what I mean is if I have a choice to give a cat a diet that he loves verses a diet he only eats because he has no choice, then I'll settle for 15 rather than 25 years. I, like you, have learned how to eat healthy also. No longer finding ice cream, fried food, etc. appetizing. My pet cats, except for the guy who adores the cat chow, won't eat cat chow or any other cheap brand of food. Now that they have tasted Felidae and Innova, they say no to even the Chicken Soup food.

I have one cat who would love nothing better than to eat Cat Chow everyday, but I'm not going to give it to him. However, I do find substitutes of better food that he likes as much. It took some work, but I keep him satisfied. I also cook for him to help keep him feeling satisfied. So you see I'll go to any lengths needed to keep my cats happy and healthy.

Oh and by the way, funny you mentioned the feral who might turn down dryfood for a mouse. One night when I pulled up to one of my feral colonies, there was one of my cats with a mouse dangling out of his mouth. He put the mouse down, looked at me, looked at the mouse, like he couldn't make up his mind. He did come eat the mixed food, which is what I feed my ferals, but I know he had that mouse for dessert!!

Also, what really bothers me is that I can't feed my ferals Innova and Felidae. They have to eat cat chow and Friskies mixed with Friskies or Whiskas. I know there are worse foods, but still I don't like having to feed them these. Of course feeding 100 ferals everyday is very expensive so you can see why I can't afford better food.

My pet food bill for my pets and ferals costs $15 a day.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Queen, that is a really cute picture. Looks very much like my house too! They here the drawer squeak as I'm pulling out the can opener and come running!

·
Registered
672 Posts
When you say you hear that some people are "making" their cats eat canned, what's the difference in "making" them eat dry? Do you give your cats a choice of both? You say you have one cat that would love nothing more than to eat Cat Chow. Why are you "making" him eat something else? You found something better, right? Because you will "go to any lengths needed to keep your cats happy and healthy", right?

When you see a post where the majority of people prefer to feed canned, it doesnt mean that you have to also. We all want the best for our kitties. It is not realistic to assume that everyone has the means to provide their cats with the most premium foods out there. Make do with what you have and keep your cats happy. I feed canned because I want to. Yes I have fed them both canned and dry, and they prefer canned. Heck, I am sure they would rather have a can of tuna or a nice sushi platter, but they're not gonna get it. :p

As for your ferals, you shouldnt feel bad about feeding them Whiskas and Friskies, they are lucky to be getting fed considering they ARE ferals. I am sure they are happy to be leaving your house with a full belly!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
My cat would much rather prefer wet food as well. I feed about half and half. He gets wet morning and night, and has the dry out all day. It takes him a good few days to go few about half a cup, because he just doesn't seem to like it. I'd feed him wet throughout the day but I'm not home enough to have a set three times daily schedule for wet food and he gets enough so that he isn't hungry.

A lot of people (at least on this forum) that "force" their cats to a wet diet do so for the health of their cats. Most are older cats who have health problems and are overweight, but are addicted to the dry and won't change their minds. Instead of starving their cats, they opt for high quality dry foods that are at least not so bad for them.

I really don't think anyone here would continue to "force" their cat to eat foods they didn't like. We're not those kinds of people. We feed the best we can afford, keeping in mind that it doesn't do us any good to buy expensive food that our cats won't eat. We do what works for us and our cats because we want the best for them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: My point

lotocats said:
Also, what really bothers me is that I can't feed my ferals Innova and Felidae. They have to eat cat chow and Friskies mixed with Friskies or Whiskas. I know there are worse foods, but still I don't like having to feed them these. Of course feeding 100 ferals everyday is very expensive so you can see why I can't afford better food.

My pet food bill for my pets and ferals costs $15 a day.
All food disagreements aside :wink: - PLEASE do NOT feel bad about what you are feeding those cats. Without people like you, who knows where they'd be. The fact that they have some place to come everyday to rely on getting a full meal is an amazing thing that you've done for them. You should be very proud of that and NEVER feel bad about it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't mean to butt in here, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Lotocats, It seems to me that you might be "humanizing" the cats a bit too much. Cats are animals, and animals don't eat to be happy, but to sustain life. A big cat in the wild won't turn it's nose up at the prospect of killing and eating zebra because it knows a gazelle will come along later and it tastes better. I don't think in the big picture taste has much to do with it at all.

I think finicky eaters become that way because they know they can be. Housecats are smart, and they know they are not going to starve to death. They know, by their own experience, that if they turn their nose up at something, they will get something else. I guarantee that when a cat gets hungry enough, it will eat WHATEVER it is given, because it's body is telling it that it needs nutrition. A cat will NOT purposefully starve to death when food is available, whether they like the food or not. Cats will undoubtedly win any stand-off with the owner because the owner "feels guilty" if the cat doesn't eat when the owner thinks it should. Cats can go 24 hours or more without food and be perfectly fine. It will eat when it needs to.

I have chosen to change my cat’s diets to a quality wet food because I’ve learned it’s nutritionally best, thanks to this forum. As I’ve heard Dr. Jean say, “pay now or pay later”. I would prefer to take whatever preventative measures I can to ensure a healthy life for my cats, and food has a lot to do with it. My cats are very happy, and it has nothing to do with what they eat. A cat’s happiness comes from many different things, but unlike humans, what is in their bowl is not one of them.

That being said, I applaude your efforts to feed the ferals. Any food is better than none at all.

katsprat

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I can only speak from my own experience.
When Bosco was eating dry food....he begged Constantly!!!
It drove me crazy.
His transition to a wet food diet was challenging, yes.
But now he is happy, eats 3 full meals a day, Never begs!!!
His urine clumps in the litterbox have doubled.
His stools have decreased by over 50% I bet!
He has also lost 2 pounds!

lotocats....your example of the old woman made me crack-up!
Thank you for feeding the stray cats! :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you

Thanks for all the discussion on the food question I posed. Katsprat, first let me say that the little kitten in the hammock is my all time favorite cat photo. I have him hanging on my wall!!

No, I don't think I humanize them. I do think about their happiness and yes, if they enjoy eating something more than something else then I want them to have it. My cat Snow would have a few words (if he could talk) on the matter that cats don't care what they eat. He is a perfect example of a cat who will go to any lengths to get what he wants to eat. For example, he first tries doing tricks by sitting up on the dishwasher door and waving his paws at me. If that doesn't work, he jumps down and sits in one of the plates on the floor. Not next to it, in it. I have a photo of this. If this doesn't work then he starts picking fights with the other cats. Cats do know how to get their way. Now he is also an example of a cat who would love to eat 6 large cans of cat food a day if I gave it to him. He has an eating disorder which I'll be glad to share in another thread if anyone is interested in hearing how he became this way.

I do cater to my cats because that's what I enjoy doing. I never had kids and I guess that's why I love taking care of the animals. I've been this way about animals since I was a very young child.

I just became a little upset when I heard someone on this forum tell someone not to "ever" give their cat dry food. They made it sound like it was going to kill the poor animal on the spot. i don't expect anyone to follow my advice. I give it and whomever wants it is welcome to it. I would never tell anyone "what to do." Like someone mentioned not everyone can afford premium food nor can they be there to give a cat can food when it's meal time. If they give a little premium dry, I don't think anyone should be having a hissy fit over it.

As far as my guy (Bubba) who wants Purnia Cat Chow and can't have it. I satisfy him by giving him something he wants more, raw and cooked meats, chicken broth for a snack, and whatever he'll eat with gusto.

Like I said my thing with the food may stem from the fact that I never had any as a child and I do put a lot of emphasis on feeding animals. I guess that's why I started feeding ferals. By the way, I go out around the city I live in and feed the ferals. They don't live outside my house. The ones I feed live in the industrial area and on the outskirts of the main streets. I couldn't sleep at night if I had cats living on my door step. They'd be killed on the busy street where I live.

I am thoroughly enjoying our chats. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What offends me

Queen of the Nile - I'm sorry I forgot to comment on what you said about me being so offended. I'm upset when somone tells someone on this forum they "should never" feed dry food. I think this is a little bit much that's all. Dry food is being blamed from everything from obesity (which I can believe) to causing every cat disease known (I don't believe). Maybe canned food is optimum in some people's opinion, however, I truly think raw food is the optimum food if someone wants to get really picky about our carnivore cats then that's what they should eat. However, I know that some cats don't like raw food (not all of mine do), just like some cats don't like canned food. I don't think it's fair to tell people who ask for advice to "never feed dry food." I think throughout my posts I've mentioned to people what I feed, i.e., dry, wet, raw, freeze dried, cooked, but I've never told anyone to "never" feed something to their cat. I think the people on this board are intelligent to make an informed decision after we all put in our 2 cents. I think the best we can all do for each other is to share our experiences and not impose them on others.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Lotocats: I do agree with you. Dry will not kill them, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it comprising more than 50% of a cat's diet. I think it is unrealistic to tell people to "never feed dry". Not everyone *can* feed their cats three wet meals a day (or wish to). I think homemade food would ultimately be the best, but just as with canned diets, some/most people don't have the time or don't wish to feed this food for various reasons. Although I don't feel that dry food can compare to wet or homemade food for nutritional and health reasons, that doesn't mean that it can't be a feeding option.

I guess I am objecting mostly to the first two lines of your message. I know that it could seem to some that I'm forcing my cats to eat wet. I know that they would much rather eat dry. But I certainly don't want people thinking that I don't have their best interest at heart. I can no longer feed dry both due to the obesity problem and the fact that my cats will literally rip my hands to shreds if I give them dry. (I should remember to clip their claws before they get dry food as treats :wink: ) They feel much more full on wet alone, so that is what works for me and my cats.

As for "never" feeding a certain food to a cat, I can think of one thing - TUNA!! Well maybe as a treat once in a blue moon, but never as a part of a balanced diet. *thinks about that poor fat cat that ate only tuna*

·
Registered
560 Posts
No one is telling anyone on the forum that they HAVE to feed their cats wet food. It is simply a sugestion. also - No one is telling you that you have to feed your cats wet - nor are we telling anyone else that they have to feed wet either. It's simply something that they do and recomend. If you don't want to feed wet - that is fine - no one is mad at you. I'm just trying to figure out why you are so upset about all this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right, tuna as a treat

Queen of the Nile - Yes, I'm with you on the tuna, only as a treat or when medication needs to be hidden. I'm fortunate I can get some of mine to take medication or vitamins when it's in tuna. I actually have cats who don't like tuna, which the other cats find real strange. HA!

I'm sorry, somtimes my brain isn't in the right gear before my hands go to typing. I'm not accusing you personally of forcing your cats to eat can food. Someone on another thread said they did force their cat to eat it even though the cat hated it. i personally think that's cruel. Like I said before if I have a cat who doesn't want to eat what I consider healthy I do whatever it takes to find some healthy that they do like. For instance the little kitten I've written about who only wants to eat Royal Canin Baby Cat formula. This is fine for the time being, but he's getting older and pretty soon it won't be healthy for him to continue to eat this formula. I've bought at least 8 different foods trying to find something he likes besides the dry Baby Cat. What I did learn is he likes cooked turkey (white meat) and cooked fish. I was glad to see that. I'll keep trying to find something he likes that is healthy and something he can stay on as an adult cat, but at no time do I intend on forcing him to eat anything he doesn't like. I think that would be cruel.

An elderly lady across the street from me had a adult cat who she never could wean off of Purnia Kitten Chow. He lived to 17 and was a bit heavy, but not what I would call obese. Goes to show, you just never know. I wouldn't think a cat could live to be that old eating Puina Kitten Chow, but he did.

I have a couple of cats who are hooked on dry and were that way when they came to me as adults so I imagine that is all they had at their other home, where ever that was. I wish I could get them to eat something else, but I can't. I refuse to force them to eat something they don't like so they'll live out their lives eating Innova or Felidae or some other premium brand of dry.

Good night. Talk to you all tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This is a very interesting discussion! Lotocats, you said recently that you "didn't believe" in the assertion that dry food was not good for cats. I posted my rationale. If you would like a full list of the references I use, I will post it. If you live near a medical or veterinary school, you can look them up and read them for yourself.

From perspective and experience as a feline veterinarian, I would indeed recommend not feeding any dry food. But that isn't realistic for many people. Even *my* cats get some dry food as a treat or when I am away long hours or traveling; of course then it is a battle to remove it again, because they do love it.

If you had children (human ones, not the furry kind!) would you allow them to choose what they wanted to eat? Would you allow a 2-year-old to eat only Twinkies and Frosted Flakes and Mac & Cheese and Snickers because he *likes* them better than broccoli or chicken soup?

My opinion is that *someone* has to be the grown-up and make responsible decisions in the matter of our cats' health, based on the most complete information possible. If that means feeding something they like okay rather than something they really love, so be it. I don't feel that they suffer for it. Sometimes we do have to "force" something on a child or pet or other loved one for their own good; or at least, for what we believe is their own good. Some people vaccinate their pets based on their belief that it is the best thing to do; others *never* vaccinate for the same reason.

I disagree with the notion that cats can be "forced" to eat something they absolutely do not want. Cats will, in fact, starve rather than eat something they dislike. I have personally seen it happen; most vets I've talked to have also seen it. Most cats naturally resist *any* kind of change; but that initial resistance does not in any way imply an ongoing distaste for the food. A cat that is eating at all, is always doing so voluntarily.

I have always said that a balanced raw food diet is the very best thing to feed (there are a few exceptions, such as cats with IBD whose intestinal defenses are not up to the challenge of raw). My cats have all been fed partly to mostly raw food since they were kittens. Canned food, being the most similar commercial product, is second best. Dry food, which is very far removed from the cat's evolutionary diet in terms of composition and nutrient content, is a last choice. We may include dry food, either from necessity or by choice. There's no need to justify that choice at all -- it is your choice to make! You are also supplementing with good quality raw and canned foods. That is also your choice to make!

If you wish to *promote* dry food as being good for cats, I would ask that you provide the scientific rationale for that, as I have in promoting canned food, so that everyone on the forum can examine both sides and make their own informed decision.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not any of you

None of the people who responded to my question about food are the people I am referring to. It was someone on another thread who told a person "not to feed dry food" and when the person stated she couldn't be home all the time to feed wet, the person asked her "to get someone to come in to feed the cat because it should never eat dry." People are telling people to hire people now to come in and feed their cat just so it doesn't eat dry food. This is ridiculous in my opinion. This is the only person I'm upset with. If they read this they will know who they are. No one else should be taking what I say personal. Since I've upset so many people I won't be visiting the forum again. Sorry if I offended anyone. Bye Bye

1 - 18 of 18 Posts