Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I thought was a Russian Blue gray male cat, however he may be a Chartruex. Or a mix. He was fearless as a kitten but since he's gotten older (now 9 months) he has become more skittish. He jumps at loud noises, scared of water in his water bowl, and just generally seems easily scared. He has a great cat life, I give him tons of love, I work from home so I'm with him all day making sure he's ok. He's very happy so I dont know where this skittishness came from.

I researched Chartruex cats and apparently some articles said they are known for being skittish but I dont know because I've never owned one before. In your experience, are gray cats generally this way?

·
Super Moderator
26,834 Posts
Fur color has nothing to do with behavior. People who say calicos are stubborn and not as friendly drive me crazy.

Something may have happened which startled him and he's responding to that. It's called redirected aggression. When neighborhood cats comes into my patio area and Charlee sees them, sometimes they fight (on the glass door) and Charlee gets very worked up. I've learned to step in as soon as she leaves that area so she doesn't take it out on Cleo. I don't think she would, but she gets so upset.

I used to feed all my girls separately (because two of them are fur-covered Hoovers) and one day Cali refused to go into the bathroom. I have no idea what spooked her, there's no window, nothing on the floor that could have fallen and scared her. It's a mystery that will never be solved. I just found another place to feed her.

Hopefully your kitty will return to his former self soon.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
564 Posts
Fur color has nothing to do with behavior. People who say calicos are stubborn and not as friendly drive me crazy.
My feelings exactly. there is absolutely no scientific basis or actual study that indicates that coloration of a cat has any effect on that cat's personality or behavior.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a grey cat, never sure if Russian Blue but he was very skittish. His eyes were green and he always looked kinda freaked out. He would jump at loud noises and run off at the first sign of trouble and especially hated the sound of aluminum foil being pulled out of box - don't know where that came from. We got him when he was about 8-12 mths so never know if something happened to him when he was very young. He was very sweet and loving and content to be inside his entire life. He made it to 12 and died after a terrible time with diabetes and lymphoma.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The fact that this cat was grey has nothing to do with the fact that he was skittish or fearful.

I am sorry he has such terrible illness, and I am sure you remember him with love.

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
213 Posts
Our Russian Blue mix was the most chill, relaxed cat we have ever had. He spent many hours on his back with his stomach exposed so, no, it is not associated with his color.

·
Super Moderator
26,834 Posts
Oh, dear. I thought someone was being lazy, and he was actually just a Russian Blue. :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
564 Posts
The Russian Blue I had years ago was not completely chill all the time, she had her lively times like any other regular cat. but she was not hyper by any means . She was not afraid of anything, and very easy to live with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I had read an article that said Charteroux cats are skittish, so I guess I meant more in terms of breed. Still not sure if mine is a Russian blue or Chartreux or a mix of something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts