Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After separating from a friend a month back I have realized that his cats are still in my name.

I got them spayed and just put them under my name. So the microchip/spay papers from the one cat are in my name (hes never brought this one to a vet for anything), and the other ones spay is in my name, but the vaccines are in his name at another vet.

He treats his cats like crap. They are filled with worms and fleas. He claims they are losing weight because they are getting fit, they are actually losing weight from the worm infestation.

Could I take his cats since the paper work is in my name?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Posession is usually proof of ownership (when it comes to animals). If you really want to contest it, I'm sure you could argue that they are your's because you've paid for everything. Also, if you could prove they are in poor health since he has taken them over, you have a stronger case.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I feel horrible for his cats. I have the vet documents to show the one cat was infested with worms, I dont for the other cat but she is to because his dog was. Thats not right, so if I allowed my friend to watch my dog for a week she could say they are her dogs and not mine? That doesnt make sense.

I know his city has a spay/neuter by law. I could have the city go out and enforce that for the dogs on the property that belong to him and his brother

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Are you just trying to get back at this guy? If you are really concerned and you are willing to take FULL responsibility for the animals then you probably have grounds to take to an attorney about legal pet ownership. If you aren't then they will probably get put down by the city. Same with the dogs. This means you have to get your dogs fixed too so there aren't any babies running around (I assume they still aren't fixed).

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but here, no, they are legally his. You took it upon yourself to take care of them, which was nice, but unless you had in writing that he was giving them to you, they're still his cats. They're outside cats - you don't actually have physical possession of them - is that correct?

But it sounds like he doesn't care about them. Have you come right out and asked for them?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you just trying to get back at this guy? If you are really concerned and you are willing to take FULL responsibility for the animals then you probably have grounds to take to an attorney about legal pet ownership. If you aren't then they will probably get put down by the city. Same with the dogs. This means you have to get your dogs fixed too so there aren't any babies running around (I assume they still aren't fixed).
Umm, what made you believe my dogs arent fixed? I am not talking about his dogs I was just talking about having the city enforce the spay/neuter by law on his dogs. The dogs are in his and his brothers name so I dont care about them..well I do which is why I am wanting to call the city to enforce that by law. My dogs are fixed, tho I will never neuter another DOG again, doesnt mean I will let it breed. Riot is neutered and has been for...8 months about.

I don't know about Canada, but here, no, they are legally his. You took it upon yourself to take care of them, which was nice, but unless you had in writing that he was giving them to you, they're still his cats. They're outside cats - you don't actually have physical possession of them - is that correct?

But it sounds like he doesn't care about them. Have you come right out and asked for them?

No, I do not have physical possession of them, they are outside cats. The vet paper work is in MY name not his for just the cats. I always have worried about his cats/dogs. Always....his one up and died randomly earlier this year and I to this day think he killed it. But I have no proof.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You have expressed your opinions of neutering dogs in the past so I assumed you didn't have your dog neutered, I think that's a pretty common logical jump to make. *Shrugs*
Also I don't think they can make him fix his dogs, I think they can fine him a few times and then take his dogs away, so I wouldn't call if you think he doesn't care about them, because he might not care if they get taken away and then those poor dogs could get put down.

I'm gonna go with Marie, have you asked him for the cats?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Sounds to me like this is more about sour grapes and passive aggressive anger than concern for the animals. Just imo.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If you are really NOT trying to get back at him, call animal control. They will look into the case and assess the situation. You can always tell them if the cats are removed, you are willing to adopt them after they deworm them, but that's about it. You will have to follow up to make sure you get possession of them. After that, stop minding this guy's business.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The by law for his city states any dog must be spayed or neutered before 1 year of age unless the dog is being worked, had a medical condition where it cannot be fixed or is being shown. So they will tell him he has to get his dog neutered and his brother will have to get his 11 year female spayed...they are planning to breed them. So thats kinda why I want to call, an 11 year female could die delivering pups.

I really would like the cats back, honestly, he beats his dog like physically. I have witnessed this before and he stopped while I was friends with him in fear I would report him. Now, he is probably back. His dog has damage done to the nerves in his back leg because he threw him into an electric cattle fence when he tried to eat his breeding rats.

My dogs being spay/neuter status has nothing to do with the situation because I dont want the dogs, just the cats. Tho, they are fixed.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
So they will tell him he has to get his dog neutered and his brother will have to get his 11 year female spayed...they are planning to breed them. So thats kinda why I want to call, an 11 year female could die delivering pups.

he beats his dog like physically.
If you are really concerned about these animals and he beats them then WHY would you call about them not being fixed but you don't call about them being beaten?!?!?! Why are you so concerned about the cats but not a dog who is being harmed?

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Let the guy and his animals go already. Move on with your life.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are really concerned about these animals and he beats them then WHY would you call about them not being fixed but you don't call about them being beaten?!?!?! Why are you so concerned about the cats but not a dog who is being harmed?
Because the spca told me unless I have video evidence or they witness it themselves they cant do anything. Marks on the dog can come from anything and they cannot prove it came from a beating. Which is why I wanted to call about them not having their animals fixed. I would mention the beatings, so im hoping this guy realizes that he is under their radar now and stops it. For 2 years I tried to get this dog on tape beating his dogs but was never in a position to.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Wow. All this time, this is the man you've wanted to be with. And he was your fwb.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
No offense but if all this time you were fwb with a guy you knew beat his pets and NOW that he's dumped you your wanting to report him .... you have bigger worries than his animals.

Start working on you and forget about him and his life.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What bigger worries? While we were together I was able to minimize how often his animals were being whacked. I havent touched his animals, I treated them like my own. I guess im much more better not having him in my life. I dont know if I can turn an eye knowing he is probably back to beating his animals and not say anything

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im confused on how that is my bigger worry. Yes I admit I should of left the second I saw this, but I thought I could help which obviously I couldnt

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
I think what people are trying to tell you is that your choice in men and your self-esteem are bigger worries than getting back at an ex fwb.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts