Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kittens are not born with worms, but they can become infected with them shortly after birth. The most common types of worms that kittens can contract are roundworms and tapeworms.

Roundworms are acquired through the mother's milk or by ingesting soil or feces that contain roundworm eggs. These worms can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and a pot-bellied appearance in kittens.

Tapeworms, on the other hand, are acquired by ingesting fleas or small rodents that carry tapeworm larvae. These worms attach to the kitten's intestine and can cause weight loss, poor coat condition, and scooting on the bottom.

It is important to note that worms can also be transmitted from the mother to her kittens before birth. This can happen when the mother has a heavy worm burden and the worms migrate to her uterus, where they infect the developing kittens.

If you are a cat's fan videos click Here.

To prevent worms in kittens, it is important to keep the mother cat on a regular deworming schedule, to keep the kitten's environment clean and free of feces, and to treat for fleas to prevent tapeworm infestations. Additionally, it is recommended to have the kitten checked by a veterinarian and treated with appropriate deworming medication as soon as possible.

It is also important to note that regular deworming is a part of preventive care for all cats and kittens, and should be done as per the veterinarian's recommendation.

For any question, Click Here.
If you are a cat videos Lover follow us Here.

· Registered
5 Posts
According to petmeds, kittens and puppies are born with intestinal worms. This happens because the worms in the mother's body are stimulated to grow from the hormones secreted during pregnancy. The worms than pass from the mother to the kitten or puppy before birth through the placenta.
An interesting fact is on intestinal worms in puppies and kittens is that over ¾ of fecal exams do not find parasites present in feces
Your pets can also get worms by catching things such as mice, eating fleas and eating the feces from other animals.

· Registered
Ducky, Amelia, Nardole, Midnight, and Oswin
4 Posts
I believe they are, however I think some pass them on their own without treatment. The reason I say this is I've had some kittens that, although I took to the vet to deworm anyways, never could see worms in their fecal matter and never had bloated bellies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts