Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cats have started to ‘play’, but I’m not if it’s playing or not, or my older cat is being a bit rough to show dominance?
They have sniffed noses a few times, he has swiped her a few times, all during supervised visits as my older cat seems nervous about the new addition. We introduced them slowly and this is the first visit this has happened.

They both come back for more. The older cat came back after being outside for a bit and started again. And my kitten doesn’t seem put off, whenever I let her see him she rushes over and pounces at him. She always seems to want to play with him. I wondered if her energy is too much for my older cat and he’s telling her he doesn’t want to.

He watches her play too. Sometimes when he watches he goes and swipe her or seem to start fight/play but we’ve always stopped them. It’s only recently this has started as we’ve waited to see what happens.

He eats in the same room with her no problem. They’ve sniffed noses a few times then he goes off to do his own thing. He’s even sat on the bean bag in the same room cleaning and having a snooze while she’s nearby on the sofa although not for long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It looks like they are fighting. Are they both males? If so, it's normal for two males to fight to show dominance, but it shouldn't be to violent between an older male cat and a kitten. Older males are more acceptant towards kittens. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
You're welcome! That's odd, a male cat would be even more accepting of a female kitten. I just read where you edited your post. Yes, the kitten just wants to play with the older cat, but he doesn't want to, (I've seen that with my cats.) Once the kitten gets older, she won't be so energetic, and she'll play less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I thought I better add more info to be paint a clearer picture. It’s only when she tries pouncing at him he acts like that so I think you’re right, it’s because he doesn’t want to play, especially as she has so much more energy than him. He’s always been a very chill cat.
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds ome like he is just setting some limits for the kitten. Just let them go and see what happens. Don’t bother or separate them unless it seems like it’s really escalating badly. Typically the older cat will just leave if they don’t want bothered. We have 2 cats, one 15 and one 10 and the old guy loves to play with the younger one at times. But only when he is ready. Then other times he wants nothing to do with the little guy and hisses and swats but nothing to mean. He will leave if the kid keeps bothering him to much and if the kid pushed him to much and he really looks ticked then by golly the kid knows he better back off. I mean sounds to me as if your older cat is letting him know who is in charge while still being nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts