Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there were any health hazards from the microchip.
How long microchipping has been done? Are any dangers involved? Could the chip somehow move to another part of the body and cause any complications? Is it possible to have a reaction to it?

Have any studies been done about any of this, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Older chips apparently would slip to other parts of the body occasionally, but the newer ones (probably any you would get now) do not have this problem. My vet told me that the chances of a reaction or problem is less than a standard vaccine, though that isn't as encouraging as it sounds since he may have meant stuff like rabies vaccinations which are not super duper ooper rare.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, and my kitten had a bad reaction to the FeLV as well.

I wonder if they do have a reaction to it, if it resolves by itself or if the chip has to be surgically removed to correct the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never heard of a problem with the chip. Although, if you are worried don't do it unless you truly need to. For example if your cat goes outdoors or has the opportunity to slip out occassionaly. If there is a chance she would get lost the do it, because it will save you from a long and stressful search, especially for the cat.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sam and Suzy are chipped and before Suzy got a bit of fat under her coat you could feel the chip. Now I can't feel it. I know it was injected between the shoulderblades. Sam was a big kitten even then and I never felt his chip (almost thought it had fallen out). No reaction at all and most kittens are chipped in Sweden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts