Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, I'm gonna guess Tonkinese because they don't have the sharply wedge-shaped face you usually see on a Siamese. Doesn't matter though, because they're both gorgeous! :love2

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm only asking because I purchased my cats under the assumption they were Tonkinese and recently someone told me they were Siamese.

·
Registered
572 Posts
rivernuts said:
I'm only asking because I purchased my cats under the assumption they were Tonkinese and recently someone told me they were Siamese.
Did you buy them from a tonkinese breeder? If so, then I assume you have papers to prove they are tonks? As for the person that said they were Siamese, who was it? Reason I ask is not everyone knows various breeds of cats, except for the "main" ones like Siamese, Maine Coon, and Persians, etc. So, the person might have just seen yuor tonks and called them the closest breed they know of to them, which is Siamese....doesn't mean they are right..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought them from a well known breeder who has an ad in Cat Fancy, I don't want to mention their name until I'm sure they aren't Tonkinese. I also purchased a pair of Tonkinese from another breeder for my parents, they're much thicker and heavier then my cats. Looking at pictures, I would say they're definitely Tonks. My cats seem lanky and have blue eyes which I'm not sure tonkinese normally have. When I first took them into the doctor to have them checked, the vet told me she didn't think they were tonkinese and when I asked the breeder about this she said pointed tonkinese have a strong resemblence to siamese, I'm not sure if this is true or not and I don't think my boy, the one that's in the 2nd picture is pointed anyways. I believed her at the time and didn't think about it much until now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sol said:
I'd say Siamese because of the color. A seal mink Tonkinese would usually be darker in the color.

Where are the cats from? Have you bought them from a friend, a shelter, a rescue group or where?
Actually TICA allows Pointed, Minks, and Sepias as Tonkinese, so these could but Seal Point Tonks...

·
Registered
572 Posts
siamesecat said:
I am in no means an expert but I thought Tonks had green or aqua blue colored eyes. Violet or dark blue seems a Siamese trait.
Pointed Tonks would have blue eyes. Mink Tonks would have green to aqua blue. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
TxnKats said:
Sol said:
I'd say Siamese because of the color. A seal mink Tonkinese would usually be darker in the color.

Where are the cats from? Have you bought them from a friend, a shelter, a rescue group or where?
Actually TICA allows Pointed, Minks, and Sepias as Tonkinese, so these could but Seal Point Tonks...
In that case, I'd say they look like seal point tonkinese.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to bring the subject back up again...

Sorry to bring the subject up again, but you know what happens when you really wnat to solve a problem!!

These are def. Tonks, i have a siam myself and the face is completly different.

People who don't know there facts often get it wrong...I had my siamese called tonk before. People often think a cat with points is a siamese, as long as you have the papers they are def. Choc pointed tonkinese. I have a picture of my siamese here and the difference is quite big!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I vote for Tonkinese as well. But, NOT because of the face shape. The photo above demonstrates the Modern/Wedge shaped Siamese face and there are many siamese that do not have that body style. The Applehead siamese look very similar to the tonkinese.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
This is the Classic Siamese. It is my bridge cat Precious, taken from outside the window:

The Appleheads have a bit broader face yet. They are the original Siamese cat. The wedge head is relatively new. The wedge head was developed in the 1950's -60's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts