Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cats are CRAZY about those crack-like treats, the Temptations and Party Mix especially. A few months ago we took Nutmeg off of the treats and canned food (just for now, I REALLY don't want a thread on how canned/raw is better) because she was throwing up a few times a day. Well that did the trick, she has been feeling just fine ever since. It is about time to bring her back to her other diet, but I can't give her those crack treats because if she throws up I don't know what is in them so I won't know what is causing the problems. I also feel bad giving Sinatra treats in a locked room where Nutmeg can't get, it feels unfair. So today I made a splurge and ordered Drs. Foster & Smith liver treats and tuna flake treats so if she does get sick I will know why. She also won't touch those other "healthy" treats, so I am hoping that these will be yummy but also better for her than those other treats, since they got really good reviews.

I just wanted to say....MAN these are expensive treats. I'm used to paying $3 a bag, not $20 when you include shipping. Are these going to be worth it? Does anyone else buy these?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I haven't tried them, but I'd like to hear how your cats like them. As far as treats go over here, mine get the temptations most often (they love those things), but I also give them the occasional dehydrated shrimp, shrimp defrosted from the freezer or raw chicken. They ADORE shrimp, but I recently found out that they shouldn't have more than 1 large shrimp each or it turns quite messy the next day! :( Another new & cheap treat I've made for them were some tuna juice ice cubes. I saved the tuna juice from 2 cans of tuna along with about 1 Tbsp of tuna and mixed it with an equal amount of tap water. Then I spooned it out into some silcone ice cube molds to put in the freezer. Once they froze I just put them in a ziploc bag to leave in the freezer.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I haven't tried the liver treats but I did buy the shaved tuna flakes from Petco. When I opened the container MowMow about went NUTS when he smelled it....then wouldn't touch them. He can SMELL its fish but it's like once he gets the tuna flake he doesn't believe it's real food. :p He'd rather I share my Cheetos or Pringles with him (Yeah, I know he shouldn't have them).

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
I don't know what the liver treats are (are they kibble like or freeze dried?) and I can't feed tuna so I've never used that either. Treats of choice around here are Whole Life dehydrated chicken. They also make turkey, lamb, salmon, cod, venison and maybe a couple more. Nothing but pure meat. Pure Bites also makes similar treats and are a bit cheaper, but not as large a selection...they have cat versions in little tiny packets, but also make the same thing for dogs in bigger bags and while the pieces are bigger, they are easily broken up.

There several other brands as well (Gimborn, Stella & Chewy, Bravo and a bunch more). Go to the website for the above brands to find a store locator. Or just go to a local independent pet supply store, they all typically carry freeze dried meat treats. Look for them in the dog aisle rather than cat.

Other good treats are Zukes, Halo Liv-a-littles, Ziwi Peak, Canz Real Meat, EVO, Innova & Wellness make treats too.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Drs. Foster and Smiths has Chicken Liver Bites which my cats adored the first time I ordered it. It's $9.99 for a 4oz. container. The treats are bite sized and it takes about two months to deplete when feeding my two cats 5 pieces a day.

Unfortunately, when I ordered the second time, I was sent the same product container, however, the pieces appeared to be much bigger, a slightly different color, and smelled really potent. My cats would not touch it. So I contacted Drs. Foster and Smith and they are sending me a replacement which I am waiting for. Hopefully the next container is just like the first one because my cats went bonkers over them.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I've never tried Drs. Foster & Smith treats, although my girls love most of the freeze-dried Pure Bites treats, which are relatively inexpensive. Interestingly, the only Pure Bites' flavor they don't like is liver!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Spencer just won't eat ANY treats, but Lily looooves freeze dried anything...I started with salmon Halo Liv-a-littles ($10 here), and then I bought chicken Pure Bites ($3 here). I personally like the Pure Bites better because they're inexpensive and in a smaller package. Lily LOVES loves them both. Especially the salmon - she starts meowing the minute she sees me pull out the container! I'm hoping they have salmon Pure Bites at my local pet store..

Have you ever tried milk for cats? We give our kittens a few squirts of Cat Sip sometimes. It's the only treat Spencer will eat....or, drink I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
The only treats I've tried are Temptations and Pounce. Both my cats go crazy for both, with no issues involved, I only give them about 5, and not every day, either. Blaze is willing to run after them so I throw them around the room and hide them around. It sure keeps him busy!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I buy my freeze dried treats from Drs. Foster and Smith. I get the Tuna Flakes and the Salmon Fishies. I haven't tried the liver treats yet, but I plan to. I find hem to be very well worth it. Alice actually growls at the others when she gets her Salmon Fishies, she likes them so much. And the Tuna Flakes are a great food topper...saved me a lot of headaches when switching Rochelle to raw.

And yes, they can be kind of expensive, if thats all yer going to buy. I only order them if I'm making a big order...that means I'm getting the free shipping and handling, and only if they are on sale. Both of them last time were buy 1 get 1 free...so I stocked up and saved. :D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They wouldn't touch the liver bites, plus they were too big for them to eat! Now I have these treats...hoping I can get a refund.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they will give me a refund but I have to pay the shipping to send them back!! So with the price of postage to get the treats here and to send the treats back, I have spent more than the treats in general. I won't be ordering from this company again.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
That's too bad. My girls also won't touch freeze-dried liver. Hopefully, Sinatra and Nutmeg liked the tuna flakes.

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
Kobi will eat the liver, the girls won't touch it. The freeze dried chicken is the favorite around here.

Go to the Whole Life website and see if you have any local stores that carry them...they may have some samples (Whole Life provides them). Or call Whole Life and ask if they'll send you some. Then you'll know whether your cats like one of the flavors before you buy it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That is a great idea doodlebug, why spend all this money on treats when there is a company who can send a few samples. I will contact them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts