Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread a few weeks ago when the kittens first started "nursing" on Zoë. They are still doing it and I was wondering if they could have actually stimulated her milk to come in. How can I tell? Can this happen even though she was spayed? I've noticed that her nipples are more swollen and the area around each is engorged. It also seems like the kittens are eating less.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think drjean said that Zoe may produce milk if the kittens suckle on her. How old are the kittens now? I would think they would stop nursing at about 8 weeks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I adopted them in July the humane society estimated their age at 3 months. We estimated their birthdays as April 21st. I guess that puts them around 15 weeks. Way too old to be nursing!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're still nursing a way. Should I make them stop? The only way I can stop them is to completely separate Zoë. That just doesn't seem like a good solution. It wouldn't be a happy household. And I really can’t tell for sure if she is even producing milk. Am I stressing over nothing??

On a little different note, Zoë stole my kittens :( They love on her instead of me. They get all the attention they could possibly want from her and are only interested in playing with us humans as long as we have some cool toy. They've bonded with her for now, but once they get older will that change?

·
Registered
88 Posts
It sounds like she has been stimulated to producing milk. I think as long as Zoe isn't making them stop it won't hurt them. Just extra nutrition for them and bonding time with Zoe.

If I'm not mistaken, kittens will nurse until the mom cat makes them stop, sometimes long after the time we think they should be weaned.

I'm sure she'll get sick of it after awhile, but until then, at least you know they're getting the "mom" time they feel they need!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Vienna was like that with her kittens. Even when I sent her away to be spayed, once she was better again there she was producing milk for the ones we kept :roll:

As long as mum cat lets them suckle, they will keep pestering for it. WHat I did was when I saw them suckling took them away, there were still going for the odd suckle at over 6 months. They have completly stopped now tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts