Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dill is going to be 3 months old on friday and he only likes the dry kitten food if it has wet canned food mixed in and vise versa..he wont eat one without the other.. im not sure if hes suposed to eat only one or the other or if its bad to mix them both... any comments would be appreciated..

·
Registered
8 Posts
He can eat either type of cat food that he likes. DO NOT give him any people food. Especially not milk. Since he is a kitten he can eat through out the day. You can mix both if you like. But... you said he likes dry food. This is a good thing because dry is 4x richer then wet food. So everything should be fine.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It's okay to mix them as long as you do not leave it out for a long period of time. I would give Dill about 1/2 hour to eat what's there and then throw the rest out. If you leave wet/dry mix out too long you will have problems with bacteria.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It is bettr to mix the wet with dry than to give him only wet food, so you are doing great.

The reason is because the dry food helps the teeth. Wet food also holds alot of water.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's good that you're mixing both. I have a 3 1/2 month old kitty. The vet told us that it'd be good to mix the two so he can start to get used to the dry one, then eventually give him just the dry one. He might not accept it at first, but he'll get hungry and start to try it. Taby didn't like it as much fist, only ate a little but now he's eating tons of just the dry one. He'll get used to it. The dry is better for them, but you can give him the wet one often too :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've found that a high quality wet food is far better for my cat than any dry food. My cat developed diabetes from the poor quality dry food I fed him his whole life.

That said, I don't see a problem with feeding a high quality dry food to a healthy cat. You might even consider feeding half dry and half wet for the duration of your cat's life. I've had a lot of good luck with Wellness brand and I hear other people have had good luck with Chicken Soup and Innova.

Please remember to brush their teeth though because even though dry food will cause *slightly less* tartar than wet food, there will still be plenty of tartar buildup. Believe me...dry food never did a thing for Sabby's teeth and now he's missing many and even had an abcessed tooth. Very painful for him.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Check out littlebigcat.com. Dry food is NOT better for cats than wet food. It helps with tartar a tiny bit, but hardly any more than wet food. Kibble crumbles when it hits the tip of the sharp teeth -- so it does not really do that much scraping. And Cats are not designed to eat "kibble" by nature -- they are carnivores, designed to eat meat. It is better for them -- but all this is negated if you don't feed a high quality food. Some wet and dry foods that you feed your cat every day would be comparable to people eating McDonald's every day.

As for the mixture -- it's okay as long as it doesn't sit out. As mentioned, if he doesn't eat it all in a half hour, throw it away. When dry food gets wet, bacteria forms on the surface quickly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know this is off-topic and I apologize, but I just need to say that this -

is a really adorable graphic. Another excellent job! Mia is too cute, BTW.

Peace,
Mike

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
If this is all your kitten will eat, keep feeding it. She's just a baby. That's how I fed my babies. Then I gradually switched them over to dry and canned at separate times. My vet told me a balance of wet and dry was best. Of course, if your vet tells you something different, you can decide accordingly. It'a a much debated subject.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Jeanne is right -- just do your research. Everyone cares for their cat differently -- and if you love your cat, I'm sure you'll make good decisions as long as you educate yourself. Just do your reading on the subjects and make your own decision based on that. Good luck!

(Thanks Mike. :))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts