Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three cats, the one female just turned a year old last month, the other two males are 7 1/2 weeks old. I have two litter boxes, one for the adult cat (covered) that we have in one room, and one for the kittens (uncovered) that we keep in the bathroom. The adult cat uses only her litterbox, the kittens, of course, use both. But one of the kittens also likes to use my tub for #2.

Starting last friday I noticed the one kitten having diarrhea with mucus and blood....but up until this point he always used the litterbox. Sunday afternoon the diarrhea continued, only this time he started using the tub. Then again on Monday morning he left two new presents for us. I took him to the vet and she diagnosed him with Coccidiosis and gave me meds to give him daily.

He used the two litter boxes since Monday but I awoke this morning (Wednesday) to find a new mushy present in the tub with a little bit of blood. And a few moments ago I got my second mushy present of the day (this time without blood). Though I have to admit, having him go in the tub makes clean-up very easy (ever try to scoop up the mushy stuff from a litterbox?).....but I don't want him making a habit of this, it's GROSS!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Specially if you are seeing blood in the stool speak with the vet and they will probably want you to bring him back in. Tell the doctor of this new business of him using your bath tub (which really is a common place for cats with improper elimination habits).

Couple other recommendations for you.

You should have at least 1 litter box per cat, per floor of your house. If you have a one story house, you should have at least 3 litter boxes, one for each cat. Keep em clean, we don't like using out houses, so we can sympathize with a cat box.

There is so much more I could get into, but hopefully this is not anything behavoiral and you can nip it in the bud after seeing the doctor again. I will say you are very lucky, that kitty has picked a spot which is easy to clean up. Keep your eye on him, and how his stool and eating habits are doing as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts