Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been having this problem for a while. back in january, i had all 3 cats dewormed and i bought a box of frontline flea treatment. they had gotten tapeworms from fleas that were gotten at my old apartment. woody and reeko scratched themselves so much they were missing patches of hair and getting scabs, but lint only had one scab on his throat. i don't know how he got it, he doesn't have any claws!

the frontline almost got rid of all the fleas, but there's a few remaining so i'll have to do it again. woody's scabs healed and her hair grew back. reeko's scabs healed but his fur hasn't grown back yet. and i noticed he has tapeworms again, argh! :evil:

but lint...the scab on his throat hasn't healed. he wants me to scratch it all the time but i don't want to reopen the wound. i mean, he REALLY wants me to scratch it. if i'm petting him anywhere else, he'll try to "cleverly" put his throat where i'm scratching. i would imagine he wants to scratch it himself, but can't due to the lack of claws.

i'm wondering...is there any specific sort of ointment i can put on it to make it heal? it's not infected or anything, its just a plain thin scab about an inch long and 1/3 inch wide in the middle of his throat. the cats get their water out of a glass bowl, so i don't think its an acne problem. he's never had any skin or allergy problems before either. i think he just keeps rubbing it on stuff to scratch himself.

any help would be greatly appreciated! i'm tired of him tricking me into scratching it for him :lol: i don't want to make it get any worse.

·
Registered
865 Posts
He could lick it offen causing it not to heal properly but it sounds to be in an area where he wouldn't. Possibly you could put some polysporin on it to help it heal?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I am not a big fan of polysporin/neosporin in cats. Any goo you put on there seals it and doesn't let the air get in to heal, not to mention that, if accessible, they lick it off in about 15 seconds!

You might want to just dab some vitamin E oil on it. Harmless if he ingests it, and great for skin healing given inside or out!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ooh that does sound good. i dunno why i didn't think of that myself :wink: thanks!

i thought about using neosporin, but i wasn't sure if it was cat friendly or not, so i didn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts