Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard from the breeder that the kittens will be delayed. Two of the kittens in the litter (not any of ours) have had some secretions from the eyes and the vet decided to put them all on medication for 20 days, just in case the other kittens catches it.

This means that we can't pick Sam & Suzy up on june 8th as planned, but it'll be delayed at least a week, maybe 1.5 week longer due to vet inspection, vaccines etc.

I am not known as the most patient person in the world. I think patience is not a virtue at all, it's a pain in the rear! :D

We dediced after Christmas that we were going to get a Siamese cat and then started to look for good breeders. We found one eventually and her cat had a litter on march 12th. So we've been waiting more or less since Christmas for these kittens. And now when it's so near, it's sooooo painful.

I want them to be here NOW!

OK, my more grownup me knows that this is best for all the kittens and a week or two extra is no big deal, we're going to hopefully have these cats with us for maybe 20 years, and in that perspective it's not a long time at all. And healthy kittens is better than sick ones.

But I'm like a kid at Christmas, I want to open my presents NOW! :D

You don't have to feel sorry for me, I just needed to vent some of the frustration. I'll try to kill some time by making my own cat toys or something. Or lay a puzzle, I'm sure I'll never be allowed to do that again with small kittens in the house.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Patience is a virtue. :wink: I'm glad you found a breeder who won't let the kittens leave their mother and littermates yet! 12 weeks is the earliest they should leave. Just think how much more you'll enjoy the babies when they come to your houses! :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shivvy, it's a pain isn't it? :D
Your kittens are soooooo cute! I can totally understand why you are dying to see them IN YOUR HOUSE!

It feels like we've waited forever! First we decided to buy a Siamese. Then we looked for a breeder. Found one that seemed nice (as you can tell, also responsible) and who had just recently had her cat pregnated. When we got in contact it was so new that we didn't know she were pregnant yet. We visited the breeder (and our kittens mom) when we knew she was pregnant and started bounding with the breeder. Then another long wait for the kittens to be born. After they were born we could come and visit when they were 4 weeks old. LOVE!!!!!!!!! And now we hoped to get them on june 8th, but due to this eye infection we'll have to wait another week. So they will be 13.5 weeks before we can pick them up.

Jeanie, who told you patience is a virtue? That's a lie! *giggles*

Yeah, you are right, the breeder is great and she doesn't hesitate to contact the vet. I like that even if she's living pretty far away from the vet's office.

At first we were going to wait a few extra days for the kittens so that their mother wouldn't lose all kittens at once. Just imagein the shock for her! But I think we'll be able to pick up our kittens first now, and the other owners will have to wait their turn.

The worst part is that the week after, june 21st, I'm going to hospital. It was meant that hubby was going to come with me (it's a longish trip) and we'd have my mother stay here as our baby sitter. Now it's too short of a time for them to adjust, so hubby is going to stay home and my mother is coming with me to the hospital instead. I don't mind that really, I love my mom and she's my best friend... but june 21st is also our wedding anniversary and we would have wanted to spend it together. Hubby was a bit sad about that (believe it or not, more than me). So we'll celebrate our anniversary on the sunday 20th instead or the comming weekend.

I'm so blessed! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cyberpet,

We decided we wanted Bengals just after christmas, we hunted around to find breeders who had some kittens due and eventually by March we found one who had two girls and they were Gorgeous. We would of had them around the 19th June.

But, the breeder kept messing us about, changing her story about certain things, we had planned a day to go and see them, my partner even booking a day off work. Then the night before, she lets us down and says she needed to put it off. . When we then looked back at what she had said in previous contact to us. She had changed her story about the kittens about 10 times. So we had no trust in her.

So we found another breeder, who had OUR two boys Zeus and Nero, and they are just gorgeous. She has no problems with us visiting and they are well looked after. There father has won best of breed at competitions all other the country, he is HUGE and has beautiful markings.

I just can't wait to get them home, as I already was heartbroken over the two girls (who we'd already thought of names for, BIG MISTAKE) But we just had to stick to our hunches about the breeder.

Anyway we LOVE Zeus and Nero now. Already we have bought them lots of toys, litter tray, carrier, (My partners father is a dab hand with carpentry skills, so he is making us a excellent Cat Tree and wooden cat bed, with nice furry padded interior). They are going to be two very spoilt kitties.

Bring on the 23rd of June!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Cyberpet,

I'm a total newbee here and haven't even introduced myself yet, but I hope my post here is all right all the same :wink:

I can imagine very well how you feel - whe had the same "patience problem" this year, too. Lille-Pelle, born 24th november last year, was due to come to us at the beginning of march. Just as we were setting off to drive to the breeder, she called that he had had an accident during the night and had hurt one of his hind legs... we were so anxious at first, not knowing what he had exactly and when we would be able to have him with us. Of course, his health went first, but we wantet do have him with us so much... :wink: It was only a sprain or so and we were happy to be able to fetch him the next weekend. But it was the longest week I had for quite some time... :D

Greetings,

·
Registered
552 Posts
I struggle with being patient, too. It is one of my biggest struggles in life. But, in spite of that, I still know that good things come to those who wait. And while the waiting must be difficult for you, this time of waiting will just make you appreciate your furbabies all the more.

And you will have to admit, it must feel pretty good to know how caring your breeder is, to want to clear up all the health issues before the kittens adopt you. From over here, outside the pressure cooker :wink:, I am thinking that those are some pretty fortunate kittens. A breeder who cares and a family that can't wait to welcome them into their new home.

Peace,
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts