Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Well, with me anyway. And it is already looking like it will be a craaaaazy morning! First, the carrier I ordered got lost and re-shipped so I will have to run to the Petsmart to get a cardboard one (I am too cheap to drop another 25 bucks on something that will be here probably by the end of the week...), and not to mention work and a check that must be deposited.

On the upside, free check-up! But I am not looking forward to coaxing Ariel back into a cardboard box...

The good news is that I am looking forward to getting some suggestions from the vet to how much I should be feeding Ariel (right now it averages out about 5 oz a day, mostly because he doesn't finish a few times and so on. But he is 11 pounds and fairly active, so I am worried that he isn't eating enough... Looking forward to being told one way or the other!). Not to mention being able to see if this is the vet I want to keep from now on. This place was great with dogs, so lets hope they will be great with cats!

Any tips for a first-timer in bringing a cat into a vet?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Sit as far away from any dogs as possible, kitty will probably feel vulnerable in his carrier and having some unknown dog come stick his nose in the grate won't make kitty happy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the luck, Ted! :D

And Cooncatbob- Thanks! That's what I figured, but I will admit I considered for a second seeing if the harness I bought would work, but then I remembered the dogs... which would not be good. Neither of us need the extra stress!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure how familiar you are yet with your kitty's traveling habits... but my Kitty freaks out to the point where she makes herself carsick or potties in the carrier (although lately she is getting used to it... more rides to the vet in the car due to health issues). So my staple is alway a roll of emergency paper towels! lol

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
our standard practice is two towels (old towels that are now cat towels) one in the carrier and a one just in case,, plus a baggie (you may need that sample)

·
Registered
262 Posts
You've probably been to the vet already and hopefully Ariel did well, looking forward to an update!

All the advice given has been great. I will also add that I spray Isis' carried with Feliway spray about an hour or so before taking her in it and it has helped (I spray the blanket and towel I put in the carrier, as well as the carrier itself).

Hope all went well! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I will remember the towel trick for down the road (and just in case).

The vet visit was... Interesting. The good: Ariel did great for most of the exam, he has a full bill of health, and the vet actually keeps up to date on cat nutrition (when I told her I was feeding wet she told me all the health benefits of it. I already knew it all from here, but was psyched that she keeps up with it). Ariel also likes the car.

The... Interesting.: As I had to get a cardboard carrier, when we got there and the vet tech who liked cats came over to say hi, Ariel managed to bust out and land on the floor to say hi to everyone. And while he was great and sweet for most of the visit, when his nails were being clipped? Not so much. At one point 3 people were holding him down and failed until they got the cat vet tech to come in, scruff him, and she got him to stay still herself. (So, I kinda like this vet tech.) ...sigh.

Oh, and then on the way home he busted out again while I was driving. He REALLY likes the car, and wondered all over it. He seems to live to give me a heart attack. I think I was right to name him after a mischievous air spirit.

I am going to try and work with his paws a bit to see if he can get used to people messing with them. Here's hoping! But otherwise it was a good visit and I think the vet liked that Ariel was a sweetie for 80% of the time. :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know I"m too late for the first vet visit, but maybe for next time. I stay in the car with my cats until it's our turn. If my husband and I go together, one of us goes in and checks in. If it's just me, I phone them and say that I'm in the parking lot. They call my cell when it's our turn. That way I don't get the cats too worked up by all the other animals that are there at the same time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sit as far away from any dogs as possible, kitty will probably feel vulnerable in his carrier and having some unknown dog come stick his nose in the grate won't make kitty happy.
Bob, it's funny you mentioned this.

In the vet I plan to use, they have two entrances and two waiting rooms (one for dogs and the other for cats). That was a HUGE draw for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks everyone! I will remember the towel trick for down the road (and just in case).

The vet visit was... Interesting. The good: Ariel did great for most of the exam, he has a full bill of health, and the vet actually keeps up to date on cat nutrition (when I told her I was feeding wet she told me all the health benefits of it. I already knew it all from here, but was psyched that she keeps up with it). Ariel also likes the car.

The... Interesting.: As I had to get a cardboard carrier, when we got there and the vet tech who liked cats came over to say hi, Ariel managed to bust out and land on the floor to say hi to everyone. And while he was great and sweet for most of the visit, when his nails were being clipped? Not so much. At one point 3 people were holding him down and failed until they got the cat vet tech to come in, scruff him, and she got him to stay still herself. (So, I kinda like this vet tech.) ...sigh.

Oh, and then on the way home he busted out again while I was driving. He REALLY likes the car, and wondered all over it. He seems to live to give me a heart attack. I think I was right to name him after a mischievous air spirit.

I am going to try and work with his paws a bit to see if he can get used to people messing with them. Here's hoping! But otherwise it was a good visit and I think the vet liked that Ariel was a sweetie for 80% of the time. :lol:
Glad to hear it was a good bill of health.

What type of carrier did you use that he was able to bust out a few times? Oh, that's right... you're using a cardboard box until your carrier ships to you, yes?

That will make it much easier! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts