Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, i needed to get Rocky new litter, and i had a very strong intuition that Vons would have a great deal. I've had him on Swheat litter since he was very small. I went over to Vons and saw that the Arm and Hammer: Natural Essentials was on sale for 6.99, i couldn't believe it, and i decided to give it a try. So far i really like it and i like that the granules are smaller. Have you tried this litter and what are your thoughts on it? Is it a higher quality litter like Swheat and World's best? I'm fine with switching him back to Swheat on Friday, but i would like to continue him on this litter, if it's okay :) Thank you for your responses!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The real question is how the cat likes it.
I appreciate your response, but cat's can like things that aren't good for them though. So, i would rather know if the quality of the litter is good :) Have you tried it before?
It's more important whether the cat likes it. If a cat doesn't like the litter, he/she will not use the litter box and will poo/pee outside of it. So again, how does the CAT like it?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's more important whether the cat likes it. If a cat doesn't like the litter, he/she will not use the litter box and will poo/pee outside of it. So again, how does the CAT like it?
He likes it just fine :) He's never picky with his litter, which apparently is something to be very grateful for. I just want to know if it's comparable to Swheat and World's best, and if it's a healthy litter for them..

·
Registered
18 Posts
My cat is the same way. He has never rejected any kind of litter. I loved the Arm and Hammer Essentials because it was super light and clumped well but sadly I couldn't find an unscented version and I thought the smell was disgusting. My whole house smelled like horrible cat litter perfume. Blech.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My cat is the same way. He has never rejected any kind of litter. I loved the Arm and Hammer Essentials because it was super light and clumped well but sadly I couldn't find an unscented version and I thought the smell was disgusting. My whole house smelled like horrible cat litter perfume. Blech.
I like it for all of the same reasons that you do :) I also noticed the perfume scent, but not as strongly as you noticed it, perhaps the bag i bought is less scented? I definitely smell it when i'm near his litter box, but otherwise i don't smell the perfume scent. I read that they add baking powder to the mix, which is something i've always done anyhow. I guess, i'll just see how this goes and then perhaps i'll buy another bag, and if it's too strong in scent, i'll go back to Swheat. I do like though how it's light and the fact that it clumps really well, i've read posts about people who didn't think it clumps well. Actually, i think Swheat clumps worse, but i like both litters :) I'm glad we both have cat's that aren't picky about their litter.:kittyturn

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
The important thing about litter is can you see clearly how large the clumps are and if there is any blood in the urine. You want to be able to monitor that on a daily basis. Hard to see with the Swheat Scoop I think. It's also important that the cat likes the litter. My girl Alkee liked the Swheat Scoop for a week and then decided she didn't and staring going outside the box. I switched back to the clumping clay litter and no more problems. I've used the Arm & Hammer before and both the cats and I liked it, and it's a good price too. Or you can use the plain clumping clay litter and buy baking soda in larger boxes in the cleaning supplies section cheaper rather than the small boxes in the baking section. I think Rocky_ Racoon meant baking soda, not baking powder.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it is harder to tell with Swheat, but i always could and i clean his litter box on a very regular basis :) I always monitor his urine and his poops, probably a little bit gross to talk about, but still! lol I like the Arm and Hammer Natural Essentials so far, so we'll see how the trial period goes :) Thank you for your response. I did mean baking soda, not baking powder! lol I am a baker, so it's no surprise that i would mix those two around. haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do like though how it's light and the fact that it clumps really well, i've read posts about people who didn't think it clumps well. Actually, i think Swheat clumps worse, but i like both litters I'm glad we both have cat's that aren't picky about their litter.
Agree that it clumps better than Swheat (which doesn't smell great IMO but at least it is unscented). I use a 20 or 30 gallon tub as a litterbox so it takes a ton of litter to fill it deep enough and clay gets crazy heavy. I am using WBCL right now and it is a pretty good medium in terms of weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts