Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious how many people have made arrangements for their kitties in the event of your death/serious illness etc.

I wanted my two to go to my sister if anything happened to both hubby and me. But she now has three of her own! She owns a townhouse but it would be a bit crowded with 5 kitties!! I am trying to decide who else would be willing and able to take them and give them all the love they deserve!

·
Registered
709 Posts
incase

This is a good topic..If anything happened to me my best friend would take my kitty. She has 2 of her own already but she lives in a big farmhouse and said if worst comes to worst she would take him. I doubt it would happen I'm young and healthy, but i guess you never know.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
this is a converstation my Husband i have had alot.. and we don't really have a good answer.

Most of our families who like pets already have them, and have kids who are not nice to them. I refuse to send my babies to them.

My mom HATES animals.

All in All, I think we have decided on a friend of ours who lives in boston,

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
If I passed on, Brandon would take Scotty (or if I had a second cat, he'd take them both in). He already said so. If we both passed on, my parents would snap them up in a heartbeat. They're mostly dog people, but both of them respect my wishes so much that they would not only take them in, but try and raise them how I would have wanted.

But I don't plan on going anytime soon.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
If I died, my pets would stay here with Dave, and I'd haunt him to make sure! If we both died, my family knows my three youngest cats would HAVE to stay together, wherever they went. Finn would be fine though, and a friend or family member would probably take him on. One of my friends would take on Elliot anytime, whereas Asha would probably have to follow me... :cry:

·
Registered
163 Posts
We worry abot this quite a bit as we have no close family and we wouldn't want them to be honed seperatly. :roll: so not sure what we can do

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My mom would definitely take them. She calls them her "grandkitties" and sends out care packages with treats and toys in them. :lol: They would be in good hands.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Honestly, I have thought about this, but I'm not sure if I've found an answer yet. Obviously Matt would keep them, but if both of us were gone, there isnt' really anyone in our families who would be willing or able to take them. (We went through this with the whole Buddy fiasco when we thought we wouldn't be able to keep him.) Matt's parents are out of the question. His mom is psycho and hates animals, his dad has two dogs and isn't interested in cats. My parents would probably take ONE if the situation arose, but wouldn't be able to take both. Matt's aunt and uncle are sweet, and MIGHT take one of them, but they're not really cat people. My step-aunt is the most likley to take them in, but she has two Jack Russel Terriers and two cats of her own. It would make things a bit crowded.

I would like to get this set up, because thinking about it, I can see people arguing over who takes Buddy (because he's younger and short-haired)and Nya gets left in the pits :cry: People always choose Buddy over Nya...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We've discussed this in depth, and we have arrangements. Done right at the beginning, when I saw all these sad pets at the shelters whose parents had died, and vowed it would never happen to our furrballs.

In the event both of us pass simultaneously, my sister will take them all. They are all written into our wills, with a trust fund set up to take care of them for the rest of their lives, and my sister as the executor. We have alternate contingency plans also.

She is intimately knowledgeable of the level of care, attention and affection we lavish on them, so we feel comfortable that she will take very good care of them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We have talked about this...but it's so hard because all of family/friends either don't want animals, want animals only outdoors, or would not really take care of the cats the way we would want them taken care of. I am now thinking the best person to take them would be David's sister. I know she would take good care of them and love them, but the only problem is that she is in a lot of debt, which is the reason she has no pets of her own now. I think we just need to leave the cats to her in the event of our death and also leave her several thousand dollars so that the money isn't an issue for her to take care of them. We haven't talked to her about it yet though and I really don't know how much cash to leave to her, or even who we would leave the rest of our cash/possessions to. :? Tough things to figure out.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Superkitties, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the trust fund for your cats and where did you come up the number? (I am just trying to figure out how much we would need for a similar instance).

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Jessica or her parents would probably take my cats in if something should happen. I know my brother is really fond of Punky, and my parents really like Elly... but I'd hate to see them split up. One of my wishes would be that they stay together for life.

I think I'd like to see the dog go to my aunt. Almost everyone that meets Molly really likes her, but my aunt just goes crazy for her. Plus she has a young friendly lab/setter mix that would get along with Molly great.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Superkitties said:
We've discussed this in depth, and we have arrangements. Done right at the beginning, when I saw all these sad pets at the shelters whose parents had died, and vowed it would never happen to our furrballs.
I too hate to see all those animals whose owners have passed on at shelters, that is the kind of thing that makes me wonder how many people actually have plans for their babies if something happens to them.

WOW! you are very prepared!! Even leaving them financial support, that is wonderful!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts