Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my nails done at the salon yesterday, solar nails, you know the French manicure looking ones. I hate that feeling like my real nails hurt under there for the first few days but anyways, just wondering if anyone knows the real difference between all those solar nails, acrylic nails, gel nails, and silk wrap.

Also what do you guys think is a good tip for a $35 service? Is 15% tip good for a nail salon or should it be more or less :?:

·
Registered
452 Posts
That sounds reasonable to me. I got solar nails done a while back, and I believe it was $35. I think I tipped $5. Hmmm...math isn't my strong point. It just seemed about right at the time.

I have since taken mine off. I got them refilled a couple of times, and the woman who did the fills was horrible and gouged my nails and cuticles. The original girl who did them went to a new salon and the woman wouldn't tell me where.

When I got ready to remove them, I bought the cheap "acrylic nail remover" from wal-mart and destroyed my natural nails in the process. If you get ready to remove them, get it done in a salon. I just didn't want to go back there: but 4 months later, they still haven't grown back in right.

I hope you enjoy them! I loved having them, just hated the woman who did them. Will probably get them re-done if I can find a good manicurist again...and if they ever get healthy enough again to allow it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I ge my nails done all the time.

Fills for me ar 13-15 depending on what i have done..

I tip between 2-4, depending on how they look!

Enjoy them!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The lady that was doing my solar fills charged me $32 for the fill alone (remember that the original nails was $35)! I knew I was being ripped-off, but don't know of any other salons close-by. Soon as I find a new salon that is reasonable and has a good manicurist - not to mention when my paper thin nails from my pitiful attempt to remove the old ones grow out long enough to "accept" solar tips and fills. :wink:

I loved them...but they did get in the way of my piano, calligraphy, art and, yes....typing. :p It took a bit of time to get used to, but I managed after a couple of weeks. :D

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the French manicure look but have you ever gotten silk wrap or gel nails? I'm interested to know why it costs so much more 8)

·
Registered
452 Posts
The salon I went to offered standard acrylics, which were about $18; they offered the upgraded quality pink and white acrylics (standard French manicure) which were around $22; and then talked me into going with the solar nails (best pink with white tips: top quality French manicure) which were $35. Fills for standards are $12; fills for P&W are $15 and *gasp* fills for solars were $32! I wasn't told the difference when I went in for my fill. I had originally gotten the mid-range P&W, so expected to pay about $15!

I would love to know more about the wraps, gels, etc. I would assume that gels are similar to acrylics...since the acrylics use a powder, dip it in a solution which creates a sort of gel, then shapes it with brush and finalizes with a dremel-like tool.

I have even considered getting a kit to do my own acrylics. The receptionist at my doc's office does her own, and they look nice, but I doubt I would be able to compete with her. Heck, I can barely paint my nails without painting the table, my shirt, my knuckles, etc. :lol:

I am anxious to hear what others have to say about the various types of nails. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been getting my nails done for about 6 years now... I usually get pink/white acrylics and the fills cost $25. I've gotten silk nails before and they seemed WAY too 'soft/brittle' for me. I work retail and do a lot of lifting/re-arranging with my hands and the acrylics are what last the longest for me. I rarely break them and go about 2 - 3 weeks before I need a fill. Never gotten the gels before but hear they're not as tough as the acrylics, like the silks

·
Registered
34 Posts
WOW those prices seem very reasonable to me compared to prices here in Ohio. I am a hair designer which also includes a license to do nails.
The going rate for a new set of nails averages $60.00 and a balance (fill-in) averages $30.00. I did nails in addition to hair years ago but can't stand sitting long and the smell got so bad for me that I ended up working at a salon that doesn't do nails!!! I have Fibromyalgia and a strong chemical sensitivity.

As far as pricing goes for the different types.....certain applications require different products and some require more steps, hence more money spent on products. If it's new it's going to cost more at the introduction but as more companies come out with similar products the prices come down.

If you go to a nail ONLY salon the prices will be a little cheaper, they can buy more product in bulk and spread the savings to the customers. If you go to a full salon you will probably pay more as they don't go thru product as quickly. Also if you want expertise which includes speed of application you will pay more. Some of the girls I have worked with in the past could put a new set on and they looked gorgeous in 20 minutes, including polish, but they charged for that speed! Others would take upwards of an hour and a half.....who wants to sit that long for nails? Those girls charged less.

99.9% of natural nails become damaged in the process of artifical application. The damage comes from the prepping of the nails, the fact that the nails are covered and not receiving any air and the chemicals used in the process. Natural nails contain multiple layers, many are destroyed in the artifical nail application. They will be sore and thin until they grow out. Even with a professional acetone remover they will be thinner and sore, it's far better than picking at them to remove them as that will remove even more layers.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to get the standard French manicure acrylic next time to see the real difference between that and solar. I'm enjoying my new nails, just hoping one doesn't break off

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
kitkat said:
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to get the standard French manicure acrylic next time to see the real difference between that and solar. I'm enjoying my new nails, just hoping one doesn't break off

I used to get my nails done, standard acrylic, but I really want to try and go a different route. I need to show off this gorgeous ring now, and I need nice nails to do it! My real nails are so weak and brittle, so a manicure won't work right. I think I might go with the pink/white french manicure next time, just to see. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I never had one break off, but after the first re-fill, the nails (two) that she gouged badly and shredded my cuticles on started to loosen along the edges. If you let this go for long, they will continue to loosen more and more until even a slight "bending" forward of the nail (I always did this when making my bed up) can cause the entire acrylic to come off of your natural nail: this leaves a space between your natural nail and acrylic which can make it susceptible to fungus. I never got a fungal infection but my SIL did and neglected it too long. It damaged her natural nail and nail bed so badly that she had to see a doctor.

I just want to find the original girl who did my nails! She took about 45 mins., and never did I even feel "the burn" when she prepped...she never gouged too deeply and never tore my cuticles. Those nails lasted for almost 4 weeks before I needed a fill. They never came loose around the cuticle edges and she slightly tapered them toward the nail bed so they looked natural as they grew out.

Then I had the two refills done by the other woman. I told her that I wanted oval nails...she left 4 nails squared and the rest oval. I said I wanted the white tips filled, and she went so low with the white on a few nails there was almost no pink! :lol: Every nail was a different length, too! I should have told her that I would do my own "trim".

Maybe I started it, though...I accidentally insulted her when I told her about my daughter getting a horrible job done on her nails (we had our nails done together at the same time, but several of my daughter's nails actually fell-off within 3 days - she got frustrated and pulled them off herself instead of allowing me to take her back in). Then....ooops! I was told by the lady who was doing my nails that the other lady (one who did my daughter's nails) was her sister! :oops: I guess I don't blame her for not wanting to do a good job. Paybacks for insults can be quite painful to the nails! :lol:

·
Registered
452 Posts
In my area, the solar nails are the pink nails with white tips that use the best quality products. I actually prefered my first nails: the standard pink and white (mid-quality), which could be polished or left as a french manicure. I personally like the French manicure look for my age. Teens (maybe early twenties) like the polished nails with decals/fake 'gemstones', multiple colors, etc. My daughter likes silver nails with black tips. :? The lowest priced ones are simply acrylics designed to be painted and not worn as french manicures.

Solar nails have a bit more of pink in the actual nail area (the part that covers the portion before the length begins) and white tips where they appear to have grown out.

You can find some salons in my area that will do a full set for about $12, but I am sure you get what you pay for. The "basic" (cheapest) cannot be painted then left unpainted as they stain...same with solar nails. Mid-range P&W are more versatile.

I sent an email to a lady in Amarillo, TX who is known to be one of the top manicurist, but I don't recall her name. She personally replied to my email withing an hour, which impressed me!

Look around and compare prices. Look for ladies who do have acrylics and ask where they had them done and if they don't mind, what they paid and how they felt about the manicurist. If done well, and (like me) your nails don't grow that fast, you can probably wait close to a month before a fill, but most people recommend every 10-14 days.

If you know someone who has done her own nails, ask about buying the kits to DIY. I won't try it...my hands shake too much when I attempt "fine motor skills". :p

IF (most likely when) I get my next set, I will go for the mid-range P&W (non-solar but very similar) french manicure. I just need to find a reliable manicurist.

On a similar note: who has had pedicures? I have really toyed with the idea. The place I got my nails done also does pedi's, but I have watched them do it and it makes me a bit uncomfy. They soak the feet in a basin with with circulating water and then use tools that (I have seen this) have not been sterilized. I can only wonder how many feet (with fungus :dis have soaked in that water and have had their toenails done by tools that are not sterilized.

A side note: I spend a lot of time without shoes on...when I am in the house, that is (most of the time). I had developed bad calluses, but bought some of the product called "KERASAL" (You may have seen commercials...) THIS STUFF WORKS!!!! I love it! I use much less than recommended, and also use a "foot file" (similar to an emery board or cardboard nail file) when I take a soaking bath. My feet are smooth and soft. I used it twice daily for about three days, and now use it every other day or so. It is AWESOME! I buy it at Wal-Mart, and it is slightly pricey: about $7 for a 1oz tube, but lasts me for a month, at least. Just use much less than they suggest...it still works.

I would love feedback from others who have used Kerasal and if they had the say great results!

I would also to know about those of you who have had salon pedi's and if the pedicurist used similar techniques (same water - though it may be filter and treated) and un-sterilized tools. I saw one lady finish one woman's feet, then immediately bring in another woman and put her in the same seat (same foot tub) and same tools that had not been put in a sterile solution. That is just GROSS! 8O

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's my nails right now so people know what they look like.

I have got to try Kerasal but I'm sooo lazy.

When I go get my next pedicure I am going to look out for their cleaning methods.. But from what I remember, they were pretty clean... 8)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Very pretty nails! Squared tips work nicely for your, but they are better oval for someone my age. :p

In regards to Karasal...it is soooo simple! I do the extra "exfoliating" because it feels good, but they Karasal instructions are simply to apply twice a day to the bottoms of your feet: concentrating on the roughest part. Put on cotton socks for a few minutes. I sometimes leave the socks on overnight, but in the morning, a few minutes will suffice. I sometimes use a warm washcloth beforehand to remove any "dirt" or sometimes skip it.

Couldn't be easier...and remember: they suggest a quarter-size amount. I find a dime-penny size more than enough! I have gone through 2 large tubes in the past 6 months. Once you get past the first few days (you will notice a BIG difference by then!) you can probably just use it in the evenings. Sometimes, these days, I will go for a few days without, but when I notice my heels getting rough again, I will resume it.

I really, really recommend it...a bit pricey at $7 for 1 oz tube, but when used sparingly it can last a long time! Worth the investment! :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
here are some pics of my nails.. They are just acrylics. Most of the time, i paint french tips or get a white airbrush on the,

my wedding day:

the renewal....

One of my bridesmaids.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Love the airbrushing, I've got to try that next time. Totally forgot about the nail art side of it. Next time I'm getting it shorter and slightly bit more oval too.

So this Kerasal is pretty much feet lotion? If so, I can definitely do that but the exfoliating stuff I'm usually too lazy to do. If it's lotion I'm picking it up this weekend :!:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just had my nairls done recently in acrylic with airbrush. I usually have very strong nails from all the chatting/typing and also playing piano for so long. I heard that if you keep tapping your nails it builds up the strength but that could just be rumour.

I think the biggest difference between Gel nails and silkwrap is that they use your natural nail for a base and build up off of it instead of an acylic sheath glued on top. I heard that Silk wrap is the best way to go to presearve your natural nails ( I had a friend training in Aveda).

Anywho here are my fun ghettos nails! :lol:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think my left forefinger nail is loose, I'm trying not to tap it on anything. No tapping for me. I don't want anything falling off....!

I like those stars though :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts