Cat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,
i have been having a particularly tough week. casper has ascites and we are ruling out FIP. i go to a cat clinic, and one of the veterinarians thinks that it may be bacterial, whereas the other vet thinks it is probably FIP. when the first vet took out some of his fluid, she noted it was low protein, which is uncharacteristic of FIP that she has seen. today he had an ultrasound which showed no masses, perforate bowel, abscesses, etc. only large amounts of ascitic fluid with high amounts of cellular debris. his fluid is being sent to a university for PCR analysis, and hopefully, a definitive answer. from what i have been told, it is very difficult to diagnose. a couple days ago, casper got a cephalosporin shot, and his fever did come down from 104 to 103 and then even to within normal range. he is now on oral amoxicillin, just in case this is a bacterial infection, which we are hoping and praying it is. he is only 7 1/2 months old, but his belly is so large now. he still eats well, drinks well, and is stooping and voiding normally. he just does not play as he used to. any support or advice would be appreciated. :-(

1 - 1 of 1 Posts