Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if maybe we could place an additional sticky in the Emergencies forum, just like the one posted by Jessica in the Health and Nutrition forum.

The number of threads are uncomfortably excessive , that are requests for advice, when they should be concentrating on getting their cats to a vet. I'm sure we're more than willing to offer advice, but so frequently it appears they're waiting around for us to suggest a vet before taking action.

I'm not sure if a sticky there will really help, but it's something. I'd rather see posts of the form "I'm headed to the vet, but here's the problem; I'll let you know more when I get back".

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
I agree completely. We can't diagnose serious conditions at all, and Dr. Jean can't do it without seeing the cat and taking tests or x-rays. We've had to write, "Please take your cat to the vet ASAP" so often. Many people posting shouldn't take the time to post at all, or should post in the Health and Nutrition forum. To be honest, I'm not sure we should have an emergency forum.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, Jeanie. I worry people wait for responses to their posts instead of getting their very ill cats to the vet. It's especially sad considering our posts consist of "please bring your cat to the vet!!"
:(

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
In this thread, the man is asking for a diagnosis! The cat is howling in pain! I really wish that forum didn't exist. What if someone were dumb enough to actually try to diagnose? We could be sued. At the very least, I believe the name of the forum should be changed.

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=53978#53978

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
I just looked at Ally Ally's thread, and looked at her former posts. On the first page, almost every post was in Emergency or Health and Nutrition. I really believe we are doing people's cats a disservice. Some people are trying to use us as a substitute for a trip to the vet. Even Dr. Jean can give only an educated guess.

(The edit was a grammatical one.)

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
I'm sorry if I seem adamant on this subject. We could ask Dr. Jean if she wanted (or would permit) an "Ask the Vet" forum for general questions only. She would be the first to tell those two people to go to the vet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've got a sticky pointing out the serious nature of emergencies, and the index description of the Cat Emergencies forum also does. I would hope that would be sufficient, but I know it isn't. We'll probably have to figure on continuiing to tell people "find a vet".

The responsibilities of taking in pets should include the recognition that proper care can involve some significant expense. When the need comes for vet services, I suspect there are people that try to find an alternative. It may be that they're minors, and the parents might not consider it a priority. A child takes in a pet because he loves the animal, but when the pet gets sick they have neither the finances nor parental support to fulfill the responsibility they feel. Others might simply find the expense beyond their means, and seek alternative treatments from people that might know.

While I feel unqualified to offer emergency advice in most cases, other than to recommend vet services, I'm also not comfortable with withdrawing a resource that might give us the opportunity to urge them to seek a vet's help. I think the Cat Emergencies forum has also provided a means of offering follow-up support, a hug or a shoulder when it's needed. If they don't stop off here, who knows where they'll turn for advice, or what advice they might receive.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The advantages and disadvantages of the forum both weight heavy on me. Although I do see too many people trying to skip a mandatory trip to the vet, and that troubles me.

I'm curious to know what Dr. Jean thinks of the Emergency Forum. The "ask the vet" forum is a neat idea, but I'm guessing it would still receive a lot of the "cat emergency" posts that we're trying to avoid.

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Of course the description of an "Ask the Vet" forum would have to explain that specific problems cannot be diagnosed. It could be a forum that explained why the vet wants to do a procedure, when a second opinion would be wise, if a side effect is common, or what other tests the member might want to ask their own vet.

We still have Health and Nutrition, which is where half of the "Emergencies" really belong. The real emergencies should be handled by a live veteranarian.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
An "Ask the Vet" forum is an interesting idea. I belong to a reef aquarium forum that has an ask the expert type forum. The questions are answered by a gentlemen who is a PhD, an author and an expert is the field of reef aquariums and coral reefs in general. He has days of the week and times listed that he will be looking though and answering posts.
The thing that makes that so different from our situation is that reef fish, corals and invertibrates cannot simply be packaged up and taken to a vet. Cats can and should be taken to a live vet when health problems occur, certainly for something that is considered an emergency.
I am very undecided about the whole thing. An ask the vet forum may make people even more likely to post, wait, and generally waste time when they should be bringing their cat in for diagnosis and treatment.
I appear to be rambling, sorry. :oops:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's Bjohnson. He's now threatening to go to a different forum because this one doesn't seem to fit his needs as an alternative to vets. :roll:

I first wanted to tell him not to let the door hit on the backside as he left, but I fought that urge off. I then wanted to explain him that Cat Forum loves to discuss cats, offer advice, and share our experience, but we don't even begin to replace needed vet care. I fought that urge off too, since I remember him as one with a hair trigger and a short fuse.

This is the guy that tossed his cat over the coffee table to the floor in order to wake it up from a nap. Though he was quick to realize his foolishness and to admit his error, such afterthought isn't going to protect his cat from him. He's also the one that got upset and claimed another member was calling him a liar by not agreeing with something he said.

I'm sure he loves his cats. We've enjoyed sharing with him the joys he experienced when he got his kitty, and then another. If anyone needs a guiding hand with his cats, he's it. I do question whether special efforts with him could succeed for long.

These comments of course solve nothing. Ah, well!

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
He is "lmao" in the Emergency forum. Evidently, it's all a big joke. I think his thread should be put under review. That forum is not the place for jokes. He is making a fool out of those who tried to advise him. If he decides to leave, that's his choice. He had the same emergency a month or so ago.

Opinions?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts