Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=14342#14342

Dan, I hope these people are legitimate. Would it be wise to make a statement somewhere suggesting that members check out anyone asking for direct donations--to make sure they are representing a charity? The story is very sad and believable.

I was conned in person once, and lost a pick of the litter show collie pup to a beautiful, well dressed, friendly con-woman (who was driving a new Trans Am. She eventually went to jail for other scams and writing bad checks. I wouldn't have believed it from her demeanor. Yhe worst of it is that I couldn't even reach her in jail to see if my puppy was safe. She had been transferred and the authorities would not forward the letter.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i think you are right... i will post a disclaimer reminding people to do their due diligence before donating money.

before i post it you can read it over to make sure i word it right.... i would hate to reduce the chance of a kitty getting a donation it needs.

·
Premium Member
28,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fine. I think that people asking for donations should give an address of a reputable and recognizable organization through which we can find out if the request is legitimate--an Animal Shelter, for example, with a telephone number that could easily be checked.

I would like to help those kittens myself, but I was stung once, and the story I fell for was "I'm calling from the Cleveland Clinic. The shrapnel in my husband's chest requires immediated surgery, and he has only a 50/50 chance of survival. We rushed him to Ohio before I could get to the bank. Please hold the check I gave you for a few days." Then he "died." Well, dead or not, he also went to jail. The last I heard he was holding a beauty salon full of customers as hostages-until his wife was released from jail! (The puppy lady) Once stung-----

1 - 3 of 3 Posts