Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother & father-in-law would love a kitten. They loved having our Siamese/Himalayan mix, Ming, around last Christmas. The same person who we got Ming from has a kitten that looks very similar that will be ready around Mother's Day. They would love to have her, but can't afford the shots, etc. Does anyone know of programs that vets offices have to give shots cheaper to seniors to allow them to afford having a cat?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I believe you'd have to call around -- ask anyone that might have a clue. Call vets, ask for referrals, call shelters, ask for referrals. It's different in every area so you kind of have to do some calling around.

Although if they can't afford the shots, it might not be a good idea to have a cat. Are they prepared to spend money on emergency care if something goes wrong with the cat? As much as I love cats and encourage all people who love them to have one, it can get pretty expensive, and people who aren't prepared to pay for vet costs might want to re-think getting a cat. Usually the initial shots are the cheapest part.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I would certainly call around to see if there may be any programs available that would help.
ForJazz makes an excellent point that pets can certainly be expensive, but I just think of all the homeless cats. It would be wonderful to see that number one less if your in-laws adopt one. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts