Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday she learned how to open a tupperware kibble container inside a latched cupboard while we were out on a job site, and gorged herself several times...so we came home to her usual post-binge spectacle of scattered food, numerous piles of cat vomit, and the cat looking innocently up at the ceiling (if cats could whistle, she would have been doing so, it was THAT sort of "who, me?" look).

For the life of me, I don't know how she managed to spring the cupboard latch AND open the plastic container. I think she has thumbs that she's not telling me about...or a secret accomplice, though my teddy bear maintains his innocence :roll: At least Assumpta is finally back to her normal self, personality-wise (although I use the word "normal" in the loosest possible way).

I'm starting to think it's separation anxiety, because she seldom does this kind of thing when we're home (only once that I can remember). It's bad enough that she's afraid of the dark :oops: (yes, she has to have a night-light on the main floor if we're upstairs in bed, and if we're gone at night, there must be a hall light left on)...many's the time we've gone upstairs to bed, and 20 minutes later, heard this little "meow?....meoOW?????....MEOW!!!!" followed by a general clatter as she runs up the stairs to the bedroom and jumps into bed with us.

My cat...she's just a teensy bit neurotic, but we love her :wink:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Those large metal popcorn tins that you see around Christmas are spectacularly good for keeping kibble. They are airtight and -- more importantly -- cat-proof, even for Assumpta! You might find one at a hobby shop.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I had thought of that, but several years ago, I had a couple of batches of homemade flour go bad in one of those tins and ever since, I haven't used them for any sort of food. I think it was a reaction with whatever they used as a flux or joint sealer, but it definitely killed my flour.

I think what I'll end up doing is putting it in opaque glass canisters with latches and rubber seals...and then I'll buy a safe with a combination lock :lol:

Assumpta is watching me type this, snuggled under my arm...I could swear that she's smirking and making full notes on my PIN numbers and safe combinations on her PDA (Paw Digital Assistant).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hahaha... that totally cracked me up. I will now get a tin can for the food in our latched cupboard too. I know Sam and Suzy are plotting on how to get to the food when we're not at home.

An idea if you're afraid the content will be contaminated, put a plastic bag as a "lining" of the can, then it should be safe from most tastes and erodation from the metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts