Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been here for quite awhile and I think my cat situation has changed since then. Here are the particulars:

Silas: almost 9 years old. Grey & white short haired shelter cat. Neutered male. A few years ago he had a urinary blockage, so he is now on prescription food (dry, Hills C/D chicken).

Lucy: almost 13 years old. Spayed female, front declawed. Blue point Himalayan, given to me when she was around 6 or 7 because her owner was moving and couldn't keep her. She eats mostly ND food (dry), either the ocean herring or the duck/pumpkin. Lucy, being longhaired, goes for grooming about every three months--I get her shaved because she doesn't especially enjoy being brushed/combed, and it really helped with the hairballs. She goes to a feline-only master groomer.

Lucy has always thrown up the occasional hairball but lately it has been insane. It is really driving me crazy! I have lost track of how many hairballs I've cleaned up over the past three or four weeks. And to top it off, I witnessed Silas throwing up a GIANT hairball a couple of weeks ago, and to my knowledge he's never done this before.

Since then I've been giving them a squirt of Laxatone several times a week, but so far this is not helping much.
They have three water bowls available, and one is used heavily....they both seem to drink a lot of water. I know his food is formulated to make him thirsty, so that he drinks, and therefore flushes his kidneys etc....but Lucy seems to drink a lot too. Daily there are huge pee balls in the litter box. Of course, not sure who's doing that. And to be honest, not sure who is throwing up all the hairballs--we've been blaming Lucy all along, but since I saw Silas hack up a huge one, it could easily be him too....can't be sure short of catching them in the act.

A couple of years ago, Lucy wasn't eating much, so I took her to the vet--they did bloodwork, urinalysis, etc ,but found nothing wrong. They suggested feeding her Temptations as a meal as a last resort. I also bought a tube of laxatone, and the combination of the laxatone (and throwing up lots of hairballs in the space of a week) and feeding her treats as a meal, got her eating again. Then I decided to transition her to some good food, and now she's on the ND stuff and NOT on Temptations. Seemed like in that instance, she wasn't eating because she was full of hairballs, but now.....now she's eating OK. I have to feed them separately, because Silas can't get her food due to being on RX food....so they get fed twice daily and Lucy's food is put away when she walks away from it. Silas always finishes ALL of his food 馃惙

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am so frustrated with this!!

Registered
I asked this forum about hairballs recently and the response I got is that the so called hairball remedies like Laxatone don't actually work. Additionally, it was pointed out to me that it's better, far healthier for the cat, for the hair to be tossed up than to go all the way through the digestive tract, which makes perfect sense to me.

My cat was tossing a huge number of hairballs recently but now it has slacked off. I think it had to do with the onset of the summer heat, and yours might be the same although who can say for sure.

My conclusion on it is that I am just going to brush my cat as best I can (he loves it, but only for about a minute), and just pick up the hairballs.

Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
Perhaps it's seasonal... my cats have been shedding like crazy in recent weeks, though I haven't noticed any hairballs, but they might have hacked 'em up outdoors, lol. I DID notice lots of hair coming off Crackhead as I petted him... Phoenix & Tiger have shorter hair, true DSH cats, while Crackhead has longer hair (but is NOT as shaggy as some cats I've seen). :whistle:

Registered
Yes, with hotter weather, cats are dropping coat. For 20 yrs. I bred and showed shorthair and longhair Manx cats. The best way of keeping on top of hairballs is to run a stainless steel grooming comb (narrower teeth on one side, larger on the other; teeth rounded on bottom). Run coarser side through the coat first to remove any loose hair, and then the side with narrower teeth---do this every day, or weekly at minimum depending on length of coat. Give your cat a treat when finished, or if he's resistant to the comb, comb a little then give a treat, comb some more, give treat. Eventually you will be able to comb him quickly. Always end with a treat. My cats get excited to be groomed and can hardly wait for me to open the drawer where its kept (same with the nail clipper!).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get the concept of shedding season. However, Lucy was just groomed a week ago! She got a 1/4" comb cut, which removed most of the length of her long hair. And she goes regularly.

Plus, these are strictly indoor cats, who live in air conditioning all summer.....

Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
My cat Stanley was throwing up some hairballs recently, so I introduced about half a teaspoon of egg into his wet food twice a week, and now no more hairballs! He only gets egg once a week now, and they haven't returned yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My cat Stanley was throwing up some hairballs recently, so I introduced about half a teaspoon of egg into his wet food twice a week, and now no more hairballs! He only gets egg once a week now, and they haven't returned yet.
I offered her some egg yolk yesterday and she wouldn't eat it. The other cat did.
Today I bought some hairball treats (Pet Naturals of Vermont) and she really liked them.
Also got her a new bag of the N&D Pumpkin/Duck food she likes, and a couple small cans of food. Hopefully she'll like the canned stuff too.

Registered
I get the concept of shedding season. However, Lucy was just groomed a week ago! She got a 1/4" comb cut, which removed most of the length of her long hair. And she goes regularly.

Plus, these are strictly indoor cats, who live in air conditioning all summer.....
Grooming in itself will loosen hair and can cause a lot of shedding afterward.

My cat is indoors all year around. but still, he grows longer ruff fur and a thicker undercoat in the winter and sheds like crazy when the heat comes in.

Registered
We seem to go through stages of hairball hacking and it's not always seasonal. My girls can go weeks without one then have several in one week. They're indoor cats so the house is temperature controlled but they still poof out in the winter. I use a grooming glove daily on Kate and she loves it, and nothing on Sophie because she hates it. Either way, both their hairballs lessened a lot when I increased their wet food and cut way down on the dry.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took Lucy to the vet. Bloodwork was done, and urinalysis. Her kidney values are 'slightly elevated' as is her phosphorus. Her thyroid is fine.
The plan is to put her on a kidney diet--Hills k/d and to repeat the bloodwork after she's been on the food for a month or two. I have ordered the food.

I am still concerned about all the hairballs. There's been one nearly daily. To me, that is too much. The vet claims that kidney disease can make them nauseated and maybe that is why she's throwing them up so much--but by that token she should also be vomiting food and she's not done that lately at all. It's all hairballs. And I have been giving both cats Laxatone, and Lucy has been getting hairball treats (Pet Naturals of Vermont).

It's all complicated by the fact that there are TWO cats, and of course seeing who actually throws up the hairballs just doesn't happen. It seems to happen overnight. So it could be the other cat--who knows?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts