Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I hope some of you experts can give me some advice... Please.

U have 9 month old neutered male who I found as a kitten out in the typhoon and he is a little angel.

Recently I got a 6 month old Norwegian Forest and she is driving me crazy.

When we got her she had been kept in a cage for 5 months and was used to using cat litter sheets.

I have tried weening her off these and getting her to use sand. She sometimes does her business in her litter box with the sand but more often just goes wherever she chooses she will go a day or two using only the litter box and just when I think she can be trusted I find little puddles and parcels on the carpet in the corner of a bedroom.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I'm not familiar with the clay litter sheets. Confine her at night in a bathroom with a litter box with clumping clay litter. She may be getting her feet wet with her urine in the sand which could certainly put her off licking her feet. Clumping litter forms a firm ball that is easily scoopable and keeps the cat's feet dry. Also buy some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It's expensive, but a little can go a long way if you just sprinkle a little of it on top of the clumping litter. Some cats are very attracted to it, so I would definitely try that. During the day if you're at home, I would supervise her very closely and put her in the box if she looks like she wants to go. If she's urinating more than 2-3 clumps a day or wants to urinate frequently, she should be checked out by a vet for an UTI=urinary tract infection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Catloverami... Thank you for your help. I live in Japan and we don't have the litter attract that you mentioned. I wondered if sprinkling cat nip in her litter box would help?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are very lucky to have a Weejie......She was raised on those sheets (which I have never heard of). WAs she from a show home? Cage raised cats have a very different mentality from free-roaming cats. You need to think of your bathroom as her BIG CAGE and let her be the way her brain was trained. You are fighting againsst something that is ingrained and will take a longer time.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
New Mum....Is your NFC girl spayed yet? If not, it does sound like she's coming into heat....that would certainly account for urine marking throughout the house. If she's spayed, you should have her checked by a vet to see if she has an UTI=uringary tract infection....cats will have this sort of behavior as well. You could try very little catnip, but it will likely only make her want to roll in the litter, and would get her coat dusty, then you'd have to wipe her down with a wet towel. Can you give us an update?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!! Thank you for your replies

She is only 7 months old and unspayed. The vet said that as NFC are slow to mature she wouldn't like to spay her until she was at least a year old.

She is also very timid and doesn't like to be picked up much. Although she is getting a little better. She will let me hold her for one minute before she wriggles to get away.

Her and my rescue 8 month old neutered boy get along fantastic. That was all down to her (Lola ) as I watched her like a hawk 'coz I didn't want any fur and blood. But she was very clever and she wound the boy round her little paw!

So i know she is smart so what is stopping her from using the toilet properly.

My bathroom is all stone tiles and it is getting cold here so a little worried about leaving her in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My bathroom is all stone tiles and it is getting cold here so a little worried about leaving her in there.
She's a Norwegian Forest Cat , she is not going to get cold in your bathroom! Their paws are thickly tufted for snow.

I had a kitten (now an adult) who would use the cornernof my room. My breeder also said to confine her to retrain her. I did the bathroom thing and it worked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered a new litter box for her and a different kind of litter.

I am going to start with confining her in the bathroom from tonight. But wouldn't you know it there have been no accidents since I posted on here. I think she must be reading over my shoulder. Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts