Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first: Sugar is over a year old, has shown no signs whatsoever of being sick (unlike poopy Skooma), and is perfectly active etc. She's a tabby, normal protruding face.

Now for the concern. Sugar has audible breathing occasionally. I can't really call it wheezing because it doesn't have the snorting/rattle sound. It usually happens when she's stressed or happy. Nail clippings and vet visits being the stress. Cuddling at night and sitting on the island waiting for pets and food being the happy. She might do it other times but those are the ones where she does it all the time. It sounds... odd, like she's trying to purr but it's coming out breathy, even when she's stressed. Heavy breathing with a weird undertone... gah, I can't describe it well.

Skooma has the upper respiratory thing going on but Sugar hasn't shown any signs that she contracted it. I've eliminated exercise, she's on the raw diet so it's not food, I'm meticulous with my house because I'm allergic to both cats, the rabbit, and dust... I don't know if it's a quirk or a possible serious thing. She's going in to the vet in Feb for her booster Vacc so I think I'll get the vet to listen to her breathing.... but they both went in for their yearly checkup a few days ago and the vet didn't mention anything out of sorts. Yeah, I completely forgot to ask the vet about it. She did it, though, and he didn't say anything...

Should I be worried? I can't really afford a big vet visit (just paid for update Vacc's, check-ups, and deworming) but if something might be wrong...

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Since she did it at the vet's last examination, and vet didn't say anything I wouldn't worry about it. If it was something serious, the vet would have said something. I would wait until your Feb. appt.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I agree with catloverami, especially since Sugar is showing no other sign of ill health. If it were a sign of a problem, I would have thought the vet would have at least asked "Does she do that often?...or something along those lines. Wouldn't hurt to ask in February though.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My kitten Athena has had audible breathing since I adopted her several months ago. My vet has heard it during her exams and didn't seem to be concerned. She just "snuffles" a lot sometimes. It sounds like she's sniffing/smelling things loudly. Is that what Sugar sounds like?

My guess is, like with people or dogs, some cats just have short or overly narrow nasal passages, which makes their breathing make more noise as air flows through those passages.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@saitenyo To me it sounds like when babies breathe heavily.... or when I have to breath through my mouth because of allergies. She might be smelling things, she loves doing that and often Flehmen's (first cat I've had that does that...). I'll ask the vet in February and hope it's nothing serious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts